-
Posts
3,240 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by mthomas08
-
Weird, because for us it was Bromcom that took an age getting back to us.
-
Our finance dept received the letter on the 29th Dec regarding the 6 month clause. This got passed over to me upon return in Jan. The letter should be addressed to the person that signs your agreement on the portal.
-
I have noticed that some of our 'externals' like Groupcall and Wonde seem to be popping up with more and more data access requests. I've ignored everything so far and no one seems to be complaining. The HT had one a few weeks ago and said no. I'm lucky we seem to be on the same wave length. If these companies want to setup a trial - setup some fake data and don't use ours. I don't know why they're constantly asking access to our data... we do need to be vigilant. I made a point a few years ago about how many have direct access to our MIS data.. and it was alarming..
-
I've got a list that I used to compare Bromcom/iSAMS/Arbor - mainly the modules available and the ability to link to our external systems like EduLink/ParentPay/GroupCall. Currently on SIMs and switching to Bromcom. PM if you want it and I'll make a few tweaks and send.
-
Used it for years.. and rarely had problems. Even when I first looked at it, got it setup and working (self taught before I did some training) it was easy. I originally used VMWare before I went to Hyper V. Both worked and both had no issues.
-
Only need to pay annually. You should have received this quote separately like us.
-
Did you do it in secret? or as you said - "staff are reminded". I must have missed the email that said "please stop ringing/emailing and follow these other support routes that are setup". Don't they use "technical support by phone/email etc" as one of the benefits to sign up to their product. And ESS and all the other companies employ staff to directly sit on the other end of their phone and use their remote software to support us because we don't have an on site ESS technician.
-
I prefer them to add functionality to their products, it's good for us and good for them. Sign in to a single platform and get everything - great and we all win. Especially weird how 10 years ago there were tons of questions and arguments to stay away from such platforms plus their high costs.. now look at us. BUT - forcing loyal customers in to a 3 year no flexibility contract and at the worst time of year and during Covid - terrible and not the norm.
-
I put SIMs on a new server and the performance has slightly improved but still ... SIMs is SIMs. I know it isn't the server because I can deploy solus/updates much quicker compared to before. Previously, it could take up to an hour and a half to deploy the updates to all the machines - now it's about 15/20 minutes. I've done all the patches and googled a long list of solutions and ideas (tons on EduLink if you look for them). Things you can try, like the SIMs housekeeping and some of these could freeze up SIMs - -Archive attendance (you can even set this as a scheduled task once a year) -Unlinked document issues -Unlinked parents -System diagnostics Ask the data manager if anything else could be cleared/cleaned. None of this made a single impact to the performance for us though..... Our SIMs is still slow but we are leaving it and heading to Bromcom so I don't have to worry about this anymore. Every year it feels slower (after SIMs updates) which to me .. says it all.
-
We did get the letter dated 29th Dec telling us that the 31st wasn't the cut off date (even after the SIMs specialist said it was). I wonder if we will get the email, after we've already handed our notice in. No sympathy really. They said forcing a 3 year contract is the norm but all 3 companies we spoke said they haven't done this for their customers. Yes, no one wants to go through another tender process within a few years after signing up to a new MIS because of the installation process + training + 1st year costs (if any). I don't see our new provider enforcing this let alone anyone else due to the backlash thanks to ESS. So I guess one good thing has come out of this.
-
Bromcom/Arbor/iSAMS are willing to get schools switched over by March 31st. You can also keep SIMs, it will have problems when it comes to the filesets (due to them needing SIMs updates to run). And course, any major problems with it... you're on your own. That gives a little breathing room to get switched.
-
Totally agree. Certainly felt like a good way to start while paying respect to the original. As for Matrix 4 - This felt like a parody of itself while ridiculing itself and attempting to remake itself.. and the sad thing is.. if you've seen it.... you know exactly what I mean. I loved the original action scenes, even in M2 and M3 but M4.. I didn't enjoy any of them and I'm an action nut.
-
We use both. Our current server is a little bit old and the OWA is outdated and terrible compared to outlook.
-
The way isn't it. Someone has a bright idea of 1:1 devices and GO. We had something for a number of years and it was terribly planned and executed, and even after all the work we put in to try and improve it.. still was a mess. Ours were windows netbooks to keep things tied to like for like software for some depts. No MDM solution so that didn't help. Great idea on paper: Parents pay for it Kids can take it home and do as they please Insurance and extended warranty Loans available when necessary Could replace some IT suites Cuts down printing Good luck is all I can say.
-
Only one function missing from both - ease of virtual meetings. They auto rollover to the next parent or teacher and the entire thing is very easy to setup. We're still in contract anyway and can continue to use EduLink, we're hoping the parent evening systems are developed enough to walk away from it.
-
Bromcom and Arbor will most likely have this setup soon (both seem confident in time for March 31st).
-
Bringing docs from SIMs to Bromcom can be done via a 3rd party (the official statement from Bromcom). It was a key element for us. Wouldn't surprise me if it is Salamander or something, which is fine - we simply want it done. There will be an additional cost - again, that is fine.
-
Our PO order is being sent over today and once that is done, the ball will surely start rolling.
-
To be honest, I'd prefer people to be open about the information. I understand the fear of being sued or in trouble by certain companies but it's also important to have that additional element of 'customer relationship'. After-all, the main reason we've walked away from SIMs is their inability to be flexible to our needs and the way they've dumped this contract on us right now (Covid/Christmas and 6 weeks before our notice needs to be given). Customer satisfaction is crucial to a tender process. And if people choose company A over B - just because how a school feels regarding trust, they are well within their right. I guess people just need to cover their backs and be open about such things to SLT/Governors etc. We gave 3 companies a fair chance and even the option of sticking with SIMs and continue as we are but how we feel about company XYZ is an important element. Like to think we have covered every angle.
-
Secondary school here and the decision has been made - we are giving notice. Most of SLT seemed happy to move from SIMs and not much positive to say about it. HT hit fury regarding the 3 year forced contract.
-
We discussed this exact thing during the SLT meeting. -Pandemic -Short notice period when 31st DEC is around the corner -Christmas period -We were already starting a tender process before this hit (we wanted another 1 year contract) What a fantastic time to hit us with this. The good news is, it does look like the closest rivals of SIMs pretty much do a full 'like for like' replacement. The major questions have evolved around things like Parents Evening (which we have EduLink for) and any other systems that could be replaced which relies on SIMs data (ParentPay). Our decision got delayed to allow further questions to be answered. Our decision to leave SIMs occurred Tuesday but now it's a question of which company we go to.
-
Just heard that same thing from a rep while doing the tender process. Really not helpful. Basically, you're on your own - good luck!
-
Interesting.. our quote/contract uses the terms: Assessment Suite Pro (assessment manager, profiles, exams, performance anylysis, discover Curriculum management Suite (Cover, Options, Nova T) Registration Suite (Attendance, Lesson Monitor) SIMs Intouch Start-up-kit II - (now reading it) this is the CORE, reporting, personnel, senco (so basically... not much)
-
We use it for everything. I have a lost list of things we use and the process hasn't been as daunting as I thought. BUT - I am aware of how our staff do their job. Having dealt with endless amount of SIMs issues, I had to work closely with people to understand their job. Plus links to EduLink/ParentPay/Wonde/GroupCall - all must haves at the moment. The best thing to say, what we DON'T use SIMs for.... We're currently reviewing timetable replacements to help the DHT feel at ease, he raised some good questions and now feels more comfortable. *edit* We're a typical secondary school/academy with 1500 kids and 200 staff.
-
We're in the final stages - got some i's to dot with some minor questions. We're also recommending people give their notice in and then do a u-turn if you change your mind. Our leadership have actually united in leaving SIMs. At the moment it is two questions that need answering regarding certain types of reports but there is a very good chance we will be leaving SIMs. Arbor/iSAMS/Bromcom seem to pretty much do everything that SIMs does.
