-
Posts
3,240 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by mthomas08
-
MMO especially an aged one will always be big Downloaded and installed Knights of the old republic and took a little while, nothing compared to WoW or FFXI though. Luckily enough reinstalling FFXI I just copied the folder over and rechecked, didn't take long
-
Luckily enough the person who had created it was still here for another month!, although I did look and it was asking for the original email address used.
-
We are in the process of going RealSmart route, which simply is externally housed VLE which does have some nice functions. Bad news is this is not internally based and will rely more upon our internet connection. I am also looking in to signing our domain up to Google APPs and then Drive, bad news is our domain name is currently already registered and unless I can sort it out we are screwed - another reason why externally housed to google is a bad thing you need certain details before you can contact them.
-
Should kids use iPads for textbooks in school?
mthomas08 replied to timbo343's topic in General Chat
Unfortunately this has nothing to do with the "Apple Slant" even if some one asked about the Windows Surfaces as a solution people will react the same way. A class of textbooks costing £25 each and a one off payment of £250? isn't it a full class of £250 that are required? If we talk about the iPads sitting in the class that's still a full 30 required 30x250 or 30x25, not forgetting the charging trolley and maintenance/support costs. With books you simply buy a cupboard, buy a full class set and your done and dusted and looking at the age of textbooks in both schools I worked at they must be about 8 years old. Whats the cost of that? This school is seeing an average of 10 smashed screens a week, these are insured and warranty for 2 years (add those costs to the iPads as well). What happens when Teacher A asks "Can we install this, manage that" - this is one of the gripes that people have with "Apple". Simply put a staff member asks for MACs and is okay with them not being supported/managed then 6 months pass then the teacher wants them to managed and supported with some control as well. This does add up cost and support time. Text books wins and has nothing to do with "Keeping up" with the times, most software these days are outdated unless you pay the support/annual costs - again costing more. Not all APPs are free. -
Should kids use iPads for textbooks in school?
mthomas08 replied to timbo343's topic in General Chat
Course it didn't work, we was all educated by fancy gadgets which is why most of the country is being run by 14 year olds.. oh wait. -
Yes, we have an open Wi-Fi that they still have to logon to the internet for filtering. This wireless is completely off our main subnet so they can't even attempt to access certain systems.
-
Should kids use iPads for textbooks in school?
mthomas08 replied to timbo343's topic in General Chat
Completely agree. I never broke my back when carrying books around. I voted no and put an actual good response, don't get me wrong if kids looked after the equipment and it worked all the time I would vote yes. Sadly though kids cant look after their own phones so why should they look after iPads. Our IT Support currently looks after netbooks for year 7 and 8.. its a full time job and that's when they are insured and purchased by the parents through the school.. p.s I also liked the responses of "it will save money", do these people know how much schools spend on books and will have to spend on iPads? -
If you could do a list @LoundsZ of what good/bad it offers much appreciated. Our school is currently looking at RealSmart and its 5K for a good all round basics VLE.
-
To start press any key, where's the any key? Still makes me smirk...
-
NS are one company YET to phone me, its come to the point where I am being rude to these sales calls. I am not exaggerating when I say about 5 calls on a daily basis from Sales Reps, I am so rude now that THEY want to get off the phone quick. Seriously though NS are one company yet to phone me up, I have had everyone else on the phone!!
-
Hi all our current school is looking at RealSmart to replace our internal moodle, SLG and school website. Anyone got some positive/negative feedback? I have looked around at packages to merge in to our moodle but just don't seem to compete with the quick, clean and looking quite nice RealSmart when it comes to merging with Google drive/apps and E-Portfolio. RealSmart really does seem to look like the cheap version of Frog, just obviously missing more development/content and connecting to other packages. I am currently 50/50 on keeping moodle, at the end of the day I want the best for our staff and to develop our moodle further is a full time job, when we currently have 3 of us and most of the technicians time is taken with netbooks we simply cant dedicate a huge time frame to improve what we got. Any information is useful, its not heavily priced and we are currently paying for our moodle to sync with SIMs and SLG for homework features (plus SIMs data). We are also looking at parents evening which again for a decent system will cost.
-
I won't go in to spoilers but I was shocked at Episode 9 badly. Glad I didn't read the books because I would have thrown them in the bin and refused to pay for any more. Theres shocking, like when we watch our favourite shows and theres that 1 big shock but what happened..... I just.... wow... and zomg. I am seriously asking my self if I want to continue to watch the show if this is the tone for whats coming.
-
Have not seen it yet but only slating I have seen is in regards to the Humour level could be improved and a few touches - still after that its being given a strong 4 star. Don't know why the complaining considering Batman begins was given a 3 and look how that trilogy turned out. I am seeing it tonight, I think people just expected too much from Man of Steel, maybe they wanted a Dark Knight 5 star film. They have already agreed on getting the 2nd one under way so perhaps we will see these problems wiggled out?
-
Going to be a little honest here, I know its NOT lord of the rings but..... I really didn't enjoy the first one and I seriously loved Lord of the Rings.
-
The new GCSE - mass unemployement for School IT Staff?
mthomas08 replied to psydii's topic in General Chat
+1 Every room here has interactive whiteboards, registers are all done on PCs, we have CCTV, biometric cashless catering/printing and a ton of software for other departments not just for ICT. We also have a netbook scheme where all year 7s and 8s have a netbook and they access several free pieces of software including a few purchased. They also use the VLE/SLG and a few other facilities on wireless/internet which then 95% of them can access at home (because only about 5% don't have internet access at home). I my self have been down to design and technology this week sorting out their out dated PCs, Media (DT, Music and few other depts.) have about 7 classrooms with several PCs in them. I can honestly say ICT has only been about 10% max of all our weekly work load. IT it self is pushed for every department. This school also went through a phase of having out sourced IT and it just simply didn't work well and too costly for the support they were getting. So I don't currently see our jobs under threat for now, I my self am newly employed and so is our techy (team of 3). -
Sign me up @Localzup
-
Please include pop up pictures and simple words
-
ASUS 1025C from Stone computers, roughly £160 each with Windows 7 Starter - if you have the correct site license you can install Windows 7 Professional and it runs very nicely. If its for students the above is very nice, no problem running all student software and you could upgrade the memory if you go through Novatech.
-
Not surprised by this and i get the feeling that nothing will change. I am sure some one will get paid off to say "Nothing is happening here".
-
Looking at these responses it completely explains why certain people at my previous job wanted Frog out quick. Shame really because this FrogOS does seem to be the bees knees, but at the end of the day we can't all care about whats best for the students . Good to see FrogOS seeming popular, hopefully i can get my hands on it at some point.
-
Same on my old job one, 70% of the entire thing was done and updated prior to me leaving. Spent a good few months making sure a lot of it was updated but stopped in the end due to the fact they decided to scrap the system for something far worse.
-
Whats more funny is the fact I heard from some one who "Knows it all" that Ofsted don't bother with the website and ONLY care about what's printed out. Then again this was a guy who is set in his ways and a dictator.
-
https://www.kent-teach.com/recruitment/vacancy/vacancyDetails.aspx?vacancyID=19683 More information about the job.
-
Just a heads up, although no real details available. Our lad has decided to move on to bigger things and as a result there will be an IT Technician job advertised in the coming weeks. Sandwich Technology School Basic duties: Supporting staff and students in a Microsoft Vanilla network. Students in Year 7/8 currently have netbooks which we support, staff have desktops linked to the IWBs and some staff have laptops. Typical 37 hours a week and I will add additional details regarding pay and any extra responsibilities. If you find your self interested then flag this page and in a week or so I will update.
-
Thanks guys, had a few PMs as well. Unfortunately I now have a week Tuesday to not only come up with something but have a few on site for parents evening, new job I started this week. If I choose different products then obviously its training and cost is also a strong factor. Have a few options that's for sure.
