-
Posts
675 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Abaddon
-
There's plenty of Kodak printers in the wild - I doubt you'll have a problem before you want to replace it anyway, so chill out...
-
We use Wallis-Universal for spare/replacement remotes.. contact there is John Evans. Wallis UK - Specialist distributor of Remote Controls, Replacements and LCD/Plasma TV supports. Good service, cheaper than original remotes, but I guess it depends on how cheap you are looking for.. a remote for a Sanyo CXVM is £30 for example.
-
Big? That's not big.. I just took delivery of a Galaxy Note.. THAT's big..
-
Depends on the school really. Don't assume that private schools have no money (as suggested by several on this thread) - I have a very healthy budget for IT (every year), and a well staffed (and qualified) IT department. Most important is keeping everything working - as also suggested here, open days need to show that the school is every bit as good at these things than state schools (and often better at it). Prospective parents need to be convinced to part with cash after all.
-
Not to mention the iops available on a dedicated SAN solution, which is way in excess of a storage server. It's about speed as well as resilience.
-
We have FAS 2020's and FAS 2040's here. Total storage capacity is 65 Tb all told, spread between the filers and additional shelves on some of the heads.
-
We use NetApp.. extraordinary service from them from a support side. Not that we really ever need it.
-
[for sale] Books - Exchange / Sharepoint / Vista / various
Abaddon posted a topic in Classified Adverts
All in "as new" condition.. Photo of two piles here.. https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=c784d4cedc3c3e6b&page=play&resid=C784D4CEDC3C3E6B!240 Bits of everything. Hardly worth listing on eBay, as I can't list a high enough postage cost (one of these is weighed in on the franking machine at £5.99!) Happy to consider any offers at all, bearing in mind the postage costs. -
Splashtop Remote Desktop. Using here for testing - seems ok.
-
These were bought a while ago, but are not the ones we use. They are ultra-short throw, and a bit bulky.. review here: Sanyo PLC-XL50 Projector Review We have the ceiling mount kits for each one as well. This really would be collection only, unless there is no other option. Right - these were quite expensive when new.. online now still around the £1k mark. Seems ridiculously overpriced to me, but then I have no need of them. I think we'd be happy talking at about the £300 each mark. If you think otherwise, please let me know.
-
Internet monitoring software (Laptops and desktops)
Abaddon replied to klop's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Any client you install the software on. It'll log and wait for a connection to the server to upload the files. You can change the cache size if you think it'll be away for a longer period. -
Internet monitoring software (Laptops and desktops)
Abaddon replied to klop's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Securus will do this.. -
Oh, they do shoes as well: Arco Website - Trojan 659 Black Safety Shoe from Trojan - Product 665900
-
Arco.. Trojan boots.. sorted
-
General query - how do you use your iPads?
Abaddon replied to MK-2's topic in Mobile Devices & Tablets
Right - apologies for the delay - there are screenshots of the app list here: https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=c784d4cedc3c3e6b&page=play&resid=C784D4CEDC3C3E6B!1732 Hopefully that'll work... It's a mixture of apps - some free, some paid for. We are still looking at proper integration with the rest of the network, but the intranet works fine with the associated resources in MS Office format. We are currently using YouTube for clips, with unlisted links so only we can see them. Will probably sort out something else for this though, for better control and access. For other things, there is the Citrix portal, but it isn't ideal for a lot of tasks - although it works quite well, it's obviously better suited for a device with a proper keyboard and mouse... They are in addition to the classroom PC's. It's a bit of a beta test, and classes have been taken outside and used the video/photo functions for some things, and made short videos etc etc.. The portability is obviously great for that. -
S2 here - fantastic bit of kit, and really light. It's large, yes, but I appreciate the larger screen (which is excellent by that way).
-
VM here - no issues (4 vCPU's, 4Gb RAM), with a NetApp SAN. (1250ish students, around 200 staff)
-
Open Device Manager, and delete the USB controllers. Reboot the PC, and try again.
-
General query - how do you use your iPads?
Abaddon replied to MK-2's topic in Mobile Devices & Tablets
No worries - I'll try and get it up tomorrow.. -
General query - how do you use your iPads?
Abaddon replied to MK-2's topic in Mobile Devices & Tablets
Between the departments here, 8 pages of apps have been requested. They are used every day, almost every other period (on average). We have 28 in an UnoCart-32, which we use to charge and sync them all, via a MacBook which is in IT Support. So far they've made numerous videos etc and taken pictures to attach to their work. Languages use several apps, history make extensive use of Google Earth to identify battle sites etc, English use several different literary apps (mostly Shakespeare) with both spoken and annotated apps... I'm sure there are more, but I've been a bit busy recently! -
If people would actually follow these simple guidelines, I'm quite sure they would have better results. The amount of dross I get from job adverts is unbelieveable - I'm quite sure some of them have no real interest in the job itself though, and are probably just to pacify some jobseeker requirement.
-
Hot outside over the last few days, but dropping off quite quickly now I think. Although with the air-conditioned office, and windows with refelctive film on, I couldn't really tell inside..
-
Looks exactly what I need - thanks for pointing it out..
-
It needs to work with Windows 7 64-bit, so I think the old card is unlikley to have drivers - thanks anyway I'll try one of those adaptors though! I've got a KFA2 MDT x4 card, but it won't seem to do a 3*1 line up as it states in the blurb, so I'm back to a x16 dual-dvi card, and finding some way of adding the thrid monitor. What a pain.
