Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Network_Boy

Members
  • Posts

    96
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Network_Boy

  1. Update: It's definitely Sophos causing the issue. Disabling on a client removes the slow logon issue. Have also had clients hanging on "Group policy registry settings" as well as group policy printing settings. Curiously the slow logon doesn't happen on all clients. Even more curiously on individual clients, the slow logon doesn't happen every time. Will try disabling the behaviour monitoring. Can someone please instruct how to do this from the console? Thanks!
  2. I'm also having this issue this morning. Been a nightmare! Clients are Win7 x64. We also have Sophos installed on all clients. We use group policy to deploy printers. Some are hanging on the "Deploying group policy printers" message, others are just sitting with a black screen and the cursor. Black screen ones hang for about 3-4 mins and then log in normally. Printer message clients are taking longer than this and I haven't yet sat there long enough to see whether they eventually log in. Version of Sophos on clients is 10.6.3.537. Our server has updated itself at 11:15 this morning (03/05/2016) and says it's on version 1.5.8.11. Anyone managed to find a fix yet?
  3. Nay matter - managed to bodge fix it with a registry change in our startp script: reg query HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx if %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 goto W10SKIP REG ADD "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx" /v "DisableGwx" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f :W10SKIP
  4. I'm also struggling with this today. The annoying "Get Windows 10" message has appeared on all of my domain machines. I've tried to follow the info in https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3080351 with little success. When I go to the link "3065988 Windows Update Client for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2: July 2015" the install fails as it says it doesn't apply to the machine (running this on my Server 2012 r2 domain controller). Am I right in thinking this update needs to be installed on the server rather than the client PCs? I also don't understand the instruction "You must use the updated WindowsUpdate.admx file by copying the file from the editing policy location." - but I'm guessing it might make more sense if I can get the update above installed. Can anyone help me out? Ta!
  5. Blimey - that seems quite expensive on the face of it. I guess I won't know for sure until I get in some quotes for other MDM solutions.
  6. We currently use Meraki as our iPad MDM. We have 180 iPads, but we can continue to use Meraki for free as we had it before they changed their licensing to only allow 100 devices for free. Anyhoo - I wanted to try out the new iOS9 feature of VPP device assignment with Meraki, so that I could silently push apps to our shared student iPads without an Apple ID. However, I have now realised that you can only do this with a fully paid licensed Meraki Systems Manager account. Firstly, does anyone know how much it costs for the fully paid up Meraki version that allows you to do this? Secondly, does anyone know if there is a freeware way to do this, other than Meraki? Thanks gang.
  7. From what I can see, I think the model name is ST230i. For courier info - Dimensions are W 91 D 75 H 67 cm. It's pretty heavy - probably about 40kg or so. Hard to tell without scales.
  8. Bumpywump. Still available.
  9. We currently delivery the KS1 and KS2 computing curriculum through the use of Espresso Coding, supplemented with a couple of lessons from Barefoot Computing that cover specific topics that need to be taught in KS2 (computer networking being one of them). We have also used a couple of other coding apps such as code.org and Hopscotch. This is all going fine, and the kids are flying with it (it's all a bit too easy for them to be honest!), but I am worried that there has been no evidencing of the work done by pupils. All of the coding stuff is obviously online, and there is no hard physical evidence of their work. Espresso Coding allows you to save, as does Hopscotch - but it's all a bit of a mess and isn't easy to access all in one place (eg. a whole class' coding work for a particular unit). We use Classroom Monitor to track pupil's progress for other subjects, but this is not currently being done for Computing. So, basically there is no evidence of any work being done or assessed in Computing - and this can't be good for an OFSTED inpection. I'm the Network Manager - but I've been trying to take a bit of a lead with implementing the new curriculum, which wasn't being taught at all just over a year ago before I started. Does anyone know how Computing is being evidenced or tracked in their Primary schools? If anyone would like to chat further about this (I appreciate it's quite a complex post!), PM me and I'd be only too happy to have a chinwag.
  10. Yeah that's no problem, as long as you sort it all out! PM me for further details. Thanks.
  11. Ah - good thinking! I will check that. On my iPad the shared calendar is set to "Fetch", but the setting for Fetch is set to "Manually". I'll change it to 15 mins and see if that makes any difference.
  12. They are staff iPads, so most staff only have the staff calendar on there. Staff are issued with the account credentials as they all use the same account, and all they can do is view the calendar. If they want to add events, they have to get the office to do it for them - so no issue with credentials. Most of the time it works fine, but on a few occasions for various staff members, after a while it just stops syncing certain calendars (within the shared whole school calendar) and events - leading to much confusion and anger. It's pretty weird. I've got one of the staff to test out the official Google calendar app for a while to see if it's any better.
  13. Can I just ask why you are adding it in that way, rather than just adding it in the regular way (ie. Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Accounts > Add Account)? Is there a benefit of doing it your way? Apologies if I'm being dim.
  14. Hi All, We have a SMART table available for collection from Bromley for anyone who would like it. The projector inside doesn't seem to be working. I think it's likely just a new lamp needed - but I haven't had time to experiment. I also think the remote control may be missing. Going to be recycled soon if there are no replies.
  15. Thanks for your reply. Are you going to that URL to force sync the google calendar once it has already been added to Apple's iOS calendar, or to set it up from fresh?
  16. I've been noticing some problems with the default iOS calendar app on our staff iPads not syncing properly with the shared whole school Google calendar. We have a main Admin whole school google calendar, which is then shared with staff via a generic email address that they all use to add the calendar to their iPads - the staff all just having viewing rights so they can't add events themselves. On some devices, the iOS calendar stops syncing some of the individual calendars within the whole school google calendar, so not all of the events are showing. This isn't remedied by doing a forced sync. The only way I've been able to fix it is to remove the email account that contains the whole school calendar from the iPad, and re-add it. It then managed to pull down all of the calendars and events. This doesn't seem specific to a particular iOS version. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Does anyone use a different app on iOS for syncing their google calendar that has been reliable? I see that there is an official google calendar app for iPhone that they could use. Looks a bit naff as it's upscaled for the iPad screen, but if it's reliable then it would be preferable.
  17. Just checked my account and it says we're being upgraded from 60mbps > 150mbps sometime between April and June 2016. Not too shabby!
  18. Thank you! PM sent.
  19. Hi Linkazoid, Have you managed to get Youtube working without restricted mode at your site? I've added the conditional forwarders as per your screenshot, but I still get restricted mode. Is there anything I need to do after adding the forwarders? Do you need to apply them or anything? (Please excuse my ignorance, I've not done any of this before!). Thanks!
  20. No, the symptoms are caused directly by whatever happens to be emitting the electromagnetic signals/radiation at that given time. I've seen it. They can cause people to become ill, in front of your eyes. Obviously not everyone who is sensitive to these signals is affected by them, and they may also have other underlying health problems. But for some people, they are the cause of what's making them ill - even if that's just a constant headache (which is bad enough) whilst being in range of any signals, or something worse. I agree, it seems barmy at first. I was super-cynical too. More research is needed and more help should definitely be given to people suffering from this. What isn't needed is people poo-pooing something that doesn't fit with current medical findings (which are often decades out of date, especially in a Nationalised Health system such as ours) and writing them off as mental health issues. It's unhelpful and unfair.
  21. I can tell you first-hand that electromagnetic sensitivity and hypersensitivity (as I think is probably being touched upon by the "Jenny" article and elsewhere in this thread) does exist, and in the cases I have seen, is most definitely not psychological. Some people can tell, without fail, whether you have an electrical device (usually a smartphone) turned on in the same room as them. They find it very uncomfortable and immediately start to get what seems to be a bad headache and feel very unwell. Before having witnessed this first hand, I found it incredibly hard to believe that this could be a real thing.
  22. Thanks very much - you're a star! Will go and fix a couple of machines that this happened to overnight. In case anyone else has the same issues - here's the symptoms I've seen today: The blank logon screen after ctrl+alt+delete DOES NOT seem to have happened. Outlook 2010 was crashing on certain emails. Before I knew about the borked update, I'd assumed it was just an email with dodgy formatting or something. So I logged onto user's email via webmail and deleted said email, which stopped the outlook crashes. However, since finding out about the update and checking the machine in question, it did have the borked update installed. Time to go and apply the fix!...
  23. Thanks for the update. Couple if questions if anyone knows the answers: 1. If you have the original borked version installed, does windows update still find the new fixed version on that machine? 2. Does installing the fixed version on a machine with the borked version installed, fix it? Ta muchly!
  24. Does this patch have the same KB number?
×
×
  • Create New...