Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Geoff

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    13,543
  • Joined

Everything posted by Geoff

  1. Spending ~£600 (cost varies on individual users needs) a workstation here. Rolling replacements after their extended warranty runs out (5 years). Not a school!
  2. Bit more work on my AE2 system last night. I used my new painter to hide all my EnderIO Conduits. I built a soul forge and turned some of the broken spawners I had into more useful ones. I briefly considered making a powered ghast spawner but stopped after deciding it would be really annoying when they escaped.
  3. I managed to build my ender quarry, I lost the components for it after the rollback from the server change. I've set it up mining a single chunk over the hill from my main base. RF power is a problem at the moment for it as I'm just using a single lava generator and a tank to run it. I built a painter so I'll be able to hide my enderio conduits properly too. I also found some magic chalk in a village chest! I just need two more now...
  4. You need to move it down in the picture, that corner of the case is dead air. The other way of forcing air over the top side of the card is to remove the blanking panel in the top slot (ideally replacing it with a vented one. Allowing air out of it. However this can impact air flow in the rest of the chassis. Moving a PCI card about will not affect the raid array.
  5. If you put the cache module in the wrong slot, it will overheat and fail (I've seen one hit 85C). Move the P420 to the other slot. Additionally some have bad capacitors.
  6. iLO is a seperate ethernet port in the server that you have to plug in and confgure separately to your LAN (preferably on some sort of management VLAN away from your normal traffic) port connections.
  7. Superfetch precaching the files off your disk I'd guess, unless you had a SSD.
  8. I get the long load times + the inital lag after connection. The inital connection lag is due to the client getting the chunks loaded. The only way to fix this is to put your client on a ram disk.
  9. Right, you should see event id 1001 / 1003 followed by a 6003 if the OS was crashing.
  10. Are you using onboard hardware raid (rather than a separate card)? If so you must make sure the firmware versions match otherwise the array is liable to be unreadable. An easy way to ensure this as you have a semi-working system is to flash your firmware to the current latest version available (and hope the new motherboard doesn't come with an unreleased newer version).
  11. System Properties -> Startup & Recovery -> System Failure -> untick 'Automatically Restart' No Idea, I usually just stick a memtest86+ disk in and leave it to it.
  12. Excluding the PSU or a software issue (You did tell windows not to reboot rather to bluescreen instead right?). Test the ram. If it's not the ram, it's probably the motherboard.
  13. You will need a separate subnet for your second site. You will need something at each end of your site to site link to route between them.
  14. I think it's hilarious that John Lewis are of the opinion that it's here to stay and they can't ignore it. I can't imagine a bad-tempered crowd at a John Lewis. "Get out of the way Arabella, I want that chorizo chopping board set!" "Stop right there heathen and unlay your hands upon my breadmaker!" "Calm down Tarquin!" "Never! You wouldn't know a mezzaluna from a mouli grater. It is mine!"
  15. Yeah, we have a template config with that in our dokuwiki (plus listed seperately in our licensing DB and our Passwords DB).
  16. I'm using Oxidized to backup my configs to a git repository.
  17. You must make sure you set things up in AD Sites & Services correctly. In particular when you define your site to site IP links make sure you get the costs and the scheduling correct. There's this technet blog that goes through the details for you: Step-By-Step: Setting Up Active Directory Sites, Subnets & Site-Links - Canadian IT Professionals - Site Home - TechNet Blogs I would also look at setting up some QoS on your low bandwidth links if it's not feasible to up the bandwidth. You'll want to prioritize VoIP traffic for example.
  18. Once you've got them migrated I'd stick a box over at their site. Put hyper-v on it and have two VM's. One a DC (with DNS and DHCP) and another for Printing and WSUS.
  19. Yeah, I used to use this init script and it handled it all for me.
  20. When using SSDs, I found the ram drive (well putting everything in /dev/shm) only helped with the chunk loading (so if anyone starts using teleportation). It also complicates matters somewhat as you have to copy back from the ram drive to the disks every 30mins or so in case of a crash.
  21. Depends what you tell Java to do. Do you have the following on your JRE command line options? -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing -XX:ParallelGCThreads= -XX:+AggressiveOpts In paticular this will enable multi threaded garbage collection. Also keep in mind you will have multithreaded chunk loading/unloading because you are using forge. Finally any mods should be written to take advantage of multi-cores even if the main game loop doesn't. If you are still having issues, you'd have to profile the server with Warmroast.
  22. I'm guessing you threw more hardware at the problem (I ended up with 8 cores and 8gb of ram in the end when I ran mine last time).
  23. You run it at startup to modify the Login desktop. Then you can run it at user login for their personal desktop. To be able to run it from a share, the computer/user account needs permission to read it. So you should add 'Authenticated Users' into your ACLs. A lazy way to do this is to put it a subfolder of your Netlogin share, as that already has the right permissions.
  24. I needed more space, so I enlarged my base. I've also paused my research into the arcane depths of Thaumcraft as most things now require infusion to create them. Not wanting to go the unwieldy 'millions of jars of essentia everywhere and golems that get stuck on everything' route I'm instead looking at the Thaumic Energistics addon mod to Applied Energistics 2 to simplify things. I've started to build an AE2 system, although I don't have a lot to show for it, it will make all my storage simpler (the liquid energistics storage looks really useful too). I don't think I've built an AE2 system for a while either.
×
×
  • Create New...