Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Hightower

Members
  • Posts

    5,005
  • Joined

Everything posted by Hightower

  1. Monday is a bank holiday
  2. We still use parafin lights in our house, so dimming the lights actually reduces the risk of fire!
  3. Yep - I had to phone the "private-sector police" last night after my car was nicked. The "private-sector fire brigade" found it burnt out in a field
  4. Hightower

    Back soon

    Congrats Graham! All the best to you and your family. The missus came in from work on Friday and said "Helen told me a looked pregnant today. She said I was glowing" - my jaw dropped. Suffice to say I am not ready to have kids yet (maybe not in this lifetime either!), it's just not something I can see myself doing. Anyhow, time to phone the hospital to book in for an appointment - get the snip and save any more worries
  5. I can see it could be possible to say "IT Professionals" in public earn more/less than private, or "Security Professionals" or "Educators" etc, but completely agree with you - how can they compare the likes of teachers etc individually. Unless they are just comparing the roles that actually can be compared, such as the business managers/office staff/caretakers
  6. I watched this last night, and thought the whole point was not to show 'this is dangerous in your house' but to say 'this can be dangerous in very large buildings with lots of dimmers'. Obviously he's not saying, "quick, rip out your dimmers". He's merely showing an extreme case (the shed) as an example, and then quickly introduces the capacitor afterwards - the device that makes dimmers safe. This isn't a whole load of scaremongering tosh at all. It's a program about engineering (and a program I enjoyed, even though i was slightly drunk) and it demonstrates how different obstacles are overcome. Why are people always so skeptical on this website?
  7. Just stumbled on this video - gave me a laugh from the good old CS days. YouTube - Counter Strike DE dust2 HD
  8. Hightower

    PHP form

    Yep, just stick the PHP script in the value for each one and change the $_POST['email'] to whatever
  9. Hightower

    PHP form

    It's 3 o'clock on Friday on the first week back from a 2 week break.....
  10. Hightower

    PHP form

  11. We used to have Sedao before moving to Xibo, and I have to admit that I was not a fan in the slightest. Software seemed very clumsy to me, and was a lot harder to manage (as far as I can remember) than we find Xibo to be.
  12. What does Kate Middleton have in common with Osama Bin Laden? Last Sunday they both had their back doors smashed in and got shot in the face by a bloke in the forces. 10 years, trillions of dollars, thousands of soldiers dead, state of the art technology, and the US finally found Bin Laden........... in his house. Osama Bin Laden knew he had screwed up when he sent in his census form. The US has confirmed that Osama Bin Laden's body has been transferred somwhere inaccessible where no one ever goes, to avoid creating a shrine for his followers. A Newcastle spokesman said the rent for the trophy room will come in handy.
  13. The only features that your product offers that I don't already have in place here is the support is taken away from the school. I have Xibo configured to be managed from any machine in school, to be managed by various users, it has schedules to show different content at different times. It seems to me all you offer is technical support and pre-made content. Since I haven't had to touch the server or client since I installed it years ago (as in updating for bugs etc) I don't see the point in 3rd party support - why pay for something that is not needed? So, now that is all whittled down it seems that the only service you offer different to what most schools already have is the pre-made content.
  14. We're using WDS on our new network, and so far had no problems with it. Also used FOG before, and that was a doddle to setup/use too. Sole reason we're sticking with WDS is because I like the thought of having all the major jobs on one beefy server (OS deployment, WSUS etc) rather than having a server for this, and a server for that - plus it does work well
  15. We have two TV's here - one displays freeview in the Yr11 area, the other displays some content with Xibo in the entrance - which I am more than happy with. I don't see digital signage as a big thing here - I see it as a buzz word from a decade ago and is fizzling out. As others have said already, I think when our TV's finally kick it they won't be replaced - most days they aren't even turned on, and I can understand why seeing as though about 6 people a day actually pass the TV, and none stop to look at the thing. If I was to implement a new system here for digital signage, I would have it so the screensaver for all computers in the school show our Xibo content. EDIT: And any new systems I did implement would have to be free - would not waste the schools money on something that can be achieved for nothing. My colleague has some paid for system in a school of his and he can't stand the stuff. See's it as a big waste of money, and it doesn't even work half the time because of problems with their internet connection.
  16. Dunno mind - they have their similarities but in my eyes Labour completely took the biscuit for their last reign. They may as well have turned round and said "there's your £500 a week benefits, oh and because you don't have a laptop here's a voucher for a free one....... debt? nah, we'll let the tories sort that out when they get into power"
  17. Or, just let @localzuk run the country - he has an answer for everything
  18. Really? Last time I checked it was Nick Clegg who called this referendum.
  19. Now this just doesn't cut it for me. With the current system your views are taken into account, and you were outvoted. The AV to me is a bit like that annoying kid at school who used to play a 'best of 3' game of heads or tails with you, then when he lost he would say "nah, it was best of 5" and then "nah, it was best of 7" and so on.
  20. Can they not 'forget' the wireless network? Sure there's an option to 'not connect to these networks automatically' somewhere in the default Windows wireless screen. I wouldn't say you have a responsibility to help them, or even to bother with their 'complaint' - but it wouldn't hurt to give them that advice.
  21. What about pest control for the plants I've chosen? Do I need to worry about it or should it be ok?
  22. Yesterday we invested in a small greenhouse and seeds/compost/other things needed to grow a bit of your own at home. It's just a little thing that can't fit a rain forest in it, but I have set up a few tomato pots, a few chilli pots, and few pea pots and some herbs. Can anybody offer any advice to a beginner gardener? Do I water daily? What's the best way to water (hose, watering can, tray with an inch of water in the bottom etc)? Do I need to use any foods of any sort, or is water all that's needed. Any advice would be appreciated, and the more beginner it is the better I think.
  23. Durham - I'm going away today and won't be back until Saturday so if I don't reply to any further questions that'll be why
  24. Yep, pretty much.
  25. I downloaded all the packs in ZIP format, then selected them all and extracted to the same folder - this can be done with 7zip easily and saved mucking on copying each driver type manually.
×
×
  • Create New...