Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Hightower

Members
  • Posts

    5,005
  • Joined

Everything posted by Hightower

  1. Oh, and I've just done our HP printers without a spot of bother, so it looks like it's Brother who's the only one letting the side down.
  2. I'm in the process of installing our printers on the server, which is Server 2008 R2. Our clients are Windows XP 32-bit. This means that we need to install 32-bit and 64-bit drivers to the server, to our clients can pick up the right ones. With our Kyocera printers this was an absolute doddle because Kyocera provide the drivers to ALL their printers in one zip, which includes 32-bit and 64-bit. Brother, however, don't (as far as I can see). I've tried downloading the 32-bit Win XP drivers and 64-bit Win 2008 R2 drivers for each Brother printer we have, and it runs through and puts the 32-bit drivers on but fails after asking to locate the 64-bit drivers - I'm guessing because both the 32-bit and 64-bit drivers need to have exactly the same name for it to work, and I'm guessing Brother don't do this. Surely some of you have Brother printers, and of those surely some of you have the same setup as me - how have you installed the printers? Do you have a link to the drivers you used etc? Our Brother models are: HL-2700CN HL-5170DN Thanks,
  3. I know this thread is over a year old, but thought I would add my two cents for those stumbling on it. We are using pGina here for our logon needs. Can easily be tweaked (especially using Resource Hacker) to look like what our staff were used to when using CC3, and we're hopeful they'll not even see the difference when they come back in September.
  4. Darn it, we were looking for additional 10/100 modules for ours a while back. Would you consider selling individual items (i.e. a PSU unit)?
  5. With this method, how will restarts be handled on servers? Will they auto restart, and if not how will I be prompted to restart the server when needed?
  6. Thanks for that, pretty much how I had mine configured (except for the languages!). I have a GPO setup for clients, but how do I go about telling my servers to get the updates from the WSUS, and what settings would you recommend for this. (or should I just keep letting my servers update from the web)
  7. I've got to say that if anyone came up to me in the street and mugged me for £50 then that's worse than the same person stealing £50 from my online banking. Yes, both are bad, but in my eyes the mugging is much much worse as it involves an act of violence.
  8. To be fair, everybody (well all dog lovers) cries at the end of Marley and Me.
  9. Where are you based? Might have some you can have but based in NE
  10. Let me google that for you And I only said 4 kilos because a) to take into account really big cats b) because I look at cats like those naughty rioters and each cat is sure to have a few electrical goods in their coats and c) because I'm not a cat person in the slightest and don't know what they weight and d) because it's really hard to judge a cats weight just by kicking them
  11. Don't forget to include the cat when calculating weight for the skip. I think it'll take about 0.004 tonnes per cat. Wouldn't want you going over the limit, that's all
  12. Oh, those are nasty. My brother has some of those in his garden from when he bought the house. He keeps saying he's dying to get rid of them, but it's been 8 months now and they are still there - I think he secretly likes them!
  13. Aye, but that was for something completely different
  14. At the end of the day, we all should have seen this coming. We work in schools where we see the youths of today growing up and although the majority of kids are well behaved and show respect to others, the bad (to me at least) seem to be getting worse at a rate that's extremely worrying. We all see criminal behaviour like these riots every day, which is proven by me having to replace 11 mice, 3 keyboards, and 23 blanking panels in a class of 27 computers. Okay, the damage we see in the classroom is nowhere near the scale of these riots, but it shows the same lack of respect by today's youngsters for anything at all. Even their own belongings like mobile phones aren't treat with care or respect, because in today's world it's far too easy to replace it if needed. We need to get back to a stage in schools, where kids who want to learn are taught well, and the disrupter's are disciplined in an appropriate way (i.e. not being put in a 'behavioural room' which has a PS3 and TV). We need to get back to a stage where everything is a privilege, except education which is a right - the way I see it at the moment, using a brand new computer is a right (even for known destructor's) and being educated seems to be a privilege (for kids who want to learn but can't because the bad kids are getting all the attention). A lot of people here have said it is mainly down to the parents, and I'm not arguing with that. But it is also down to the educators of today to correct what is so horribly wrong with this country. It is down to the government to allow the teachers to teach again, to discipline again, to insert respect back into the community.
  15. I'm sorry, but if there's anything the lass in this picture should not be pinching, I would say crisps. "Yeh man, everyones nicking tellies and mobi's init, so why should I miss out init, ah ran out ov crisps this morning man"
  16. I just can't believe the whole irony of the events. Here we have many youths complaining about funding cuts, and lack of job prospects, yet here they are burning down potential employers and making the government spend even more money that we simply don't have. The prisons are over crowded, so why not round them all up on a ship like we did years ago and deport them - let them work for themselves and see if they can make a better job of things. I know for certain that if I'd have urinated on my mam and dads back door step I would have been out, why not the same for these morons? Only thing is, there's not much land left to populate - I hear mars is nice this time of year, nice and hot
  17. The army are trained no differently (at first) to what they were long before the days of afghan and iraq. Basic training is much the same. The army have additional training for the likes of iraq before they go over, but that doesn't mean that can no longer effectively control our own country. I've just learned about Server 2008, but I'm still going to have to know how to handle 2003. If you can't sort something in your school, what do you do? I expect like many schools you'll escalate it in some way - advice from the LEA, or a 3rd party consultant, but one thing is for sure - you won't just let it be will you? Why can't the police do that too? Everybody needs some form of escalation - when the police don't have the equipment, why should they go and buy it and train in it when we already have a service which can provide that support? Next you'll be wanting the police to put out the fires, because they were caused by criminals.
  18. Erm, that is completely incorrect. The army are there to use as desired by the head honcho's. They are trained to dealing with our streets if they so need to. The police do not have the equipment that the army has to handle things like this.
  19. And it was Labour which got us to this state.
  20. Well we're opting for: -Critical Updates -Definition Updates -Security Updates -Update Rollups -Updates For XP, S2003, and S2008R2, and it's 40GB. I know about the cleanup but I've already ran that without it doing much. Guess it's time to add another HDD and see how much of that it eats!
  21. Ah hem, WSUS I mean. How big is your WSUS We've just started using it and at the moment it seems to be eaten all space I throw at it - The WSUS folder on the server is currently around 40GB, but that's only because that's how big the partition is at the moment. How big is yours? Is 40GB normal? Is it going to grow much more? It seriously seems to eat more than I do, and that takes some doing!
  22. ... or continue spending like Brown and his cronies. Ask me, and the common sense thing to do when in debt is to spend more money. Hey - we can't afford to pay our personal loan, I know let's get another one to help us pay it. The current government HAS to make cuts. Alright, these cuts are going to affect a lot of people, and people aren't going to be happy about all of them, but can you seriously stand there and tell me Labour should have served another stint? I'm not happy with a lot of the things the Tories are doing, but I'm a lot happier with them at the helm instead of a government that thinks money grows on trees (and all my family have voted Labour for as long as I can remember).
  23. Found that before which helped me sort the issues.
  24. Okay, strange one. Deleted the LDAP account I'd created this morning, and created a new one with a different name and it now works. Thanks
  25. Trying to reconfigure Moodle to auth against our new domain. It's always worked using LDAP, but now we're having problems. I can use an admin account as the bind account and this works, but in the past I've had a separate LDAP user to do this, however my new LDAP user doesn't play ball. Does the new LDAP account for binding need anything special? I thought it just needed to be a simple unprivileged user account. Any thoughts?
×
×
  • Create New...