-
Posts
391 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by ellsandell
-
I would guess not, would have to use Intune I imagine to manage / deploy. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/education/get-started/get-started-with-microsoft-education Be interested to see if 10 S will be available to download/ install to have a play.
-
All apps run in containers to isolate them from the rest of the OS. The Video here gives a good run down. https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/2/15506378/microsoft-windows-10-s-os-operating-system-announced-features?utm_campaign=vox&utm_content=video&utm_me dium=social&utm_source=social Interesting snippet: https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/2/15506378/microsoft-windows-10-s-os-operating-system-announced-features
-
I don't really think its suited to Education with the way many Schools run (In Europe at least) - Enterprise like Domain Joined machines. They are trying to go down the Google route and remove the need for lots of internal infrastructure. I suppose that's where Microsoft say they add value to using the Store platform for Apps (WIN32 or UWP) with the infrastructure and easy access. Obviously, will work across all SKUs at that point. https://twitter.com/WithinRafael/status/859521888761987072 With Spotify on its way to the Store, that might put some pressure on others to do the same. But still going to have to be a big push from Microsoft to really get some momentum going. Probably the biggest mistake really, theres a reason why people use Google and its just going to frustrate. What's the technical reason why RM can't filter Bing? The addon APIs for Edge have been available for a while....
-
I admit I'm not a developer, however project centennial sounds like it's remarkably easy to bring Win32 apps into the store. But obviously not a automatic process, so there is obviously still work to do. I can see the Home SKU being replaced by this one eventually as the Chromebook has proven - many just want something that works. Suspect it may confuse the consumer initially. [emoji51]
-
Microsoft EDU event - Tuesday 2nd May 2:30pm
ellsandell replied to timbo343's topic in Courses and Training
Ahh yes, must have missed the Intune for Education stuff. https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/01/24/announcing-intune-education-new-windows-10-pcs-school-starting-189/#TMklcFqVZSOddSWZ.97 -
I agree with this - like any comms system, messages need to be targeted and not used too frequently or they loose their effectiveness. People/parents will just ignore them like they ignore emails.
-
Microsoft EDU event - Tuesday 2nd May 2:30pm
ellsandell replied to timbo343's topic in Courses and Training
Can't quite find a confirmation, but am I right to assume Windows 10 S devices include Intune Managment licenses for MDM? Also Free Minecraft for new Windows 10 Devices. https://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2017/05/windows-10-s-details/ -
Microsoft EDU event - Tuesday 2nd May 2:30pm
ellsandell replied to timbo343's topic in Courses and Training
The Surface laptop looks really nice - pricing as expected, (premium) and there is a free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro (Until Jan). https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/surface/devices/surface-laptop/overview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74kPEJWpCD4 -
Noticed this on twitter today, in case anyone is still running DirSync or AD Sync. https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/enterprisemobility/2017/04/10/end-of-support-for-dirsync-and-azure-ad-sync-is-rapidly-approaching-time-to-upgrade-to-aad-connect/
-
I would guess at it being G.INP, which is currently enabled on Huawei FTTC cabs (ECI cabs had some compatibility issues from memory) G.INP Guide | Increase Broadband Speed The Huawei HG612 (White Openreach Router) supports it while the HH5/6 do not.
-
We have a lot of these - APC Smart-UPS C 1500VA 2U. Only 4 outputs, but we usually use a PDU attached to it.
-
Lets Encrypt might be a good shout, or as above Namecheap.
-
What did you do after leaving Educational IT Support?
ellsandell replied to flyinghaggis's topic in General Chat
Currently the NHS - Network Engineer providing 3rd line support, and on call duties covering almost all IT OOH. (Barring some clinical apps) -
Pretty sure the Unifi range are managed via the Unifi Controller GUI, and the ES are standalone CLI only. (Unifi apparently do have a CLI as well but hidden away). https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeSwitch/Unifi-Switch-vs-Edge-Switch/td-p/1623620
-
Pretty sure the Unifi range are managed via the Unifi Controller GUI, and the ES are standalone CLI only. (Unifi apparently do have a CLI as well but hidden away). https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeSwitch/Unifi-Switch-vs-Edge-Switch/td-p/1623620
-
How much did that cost em! They look very nice.
-
Not exactly what you are asking but... Work put me through Firebrand to get mine done, after my boss had done his CCNP through them. I found them really good! Did both exams onsite (started on Sunday Eve and finished Sat Morning) and the tutors were excellent.
-
Active Directory - Password blacklist software
ellsandell replied to localzuk's topic in Enterprise Software
A few threads on Reddit. -
Flattening the network would be backwards step in my eyes. You are the Customer, I would push them to explain why and ask them to retain the current config. Sounds all a bit amateur... As @FN-GM says you can split down the given range between the VLANs.
-
Completely depends on the VPS service you choose. Recently used Vultr which was running on their base $5 a month VPS. (Which I got for free for a couple of months using a discount code)
-
Google!
-
I have been playing with Striesand, with it being hosted elsewhere (DO/Vultr, AWS etc). (Can deploy onto any VPS) Really impressed.
-
Moving .sch.uk to new Domain Registrar
ellsandell replied to ITGURU's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
There have been a few threads about this last year. http://www.edugeek.net/forums/internet-related-filtering-firewall/155096-sch-uk-registrar-tag.html I know Vidahost is quite popular. (I would probably use them to hold the domain and then use Cloudflare to do the DNS side of things) -
Stopping Delivery of emails out of school hours
ellsandell replied to mmi's topic in How do you do....it?
I think this is more of a management/HR issue rather than a technical issue?
