-
Posts
843 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by ranj
-
Hi I hope you can bear with me as my knowledge with DNS isnt extensive. We have 2 DNS servers running 2008 Server. Recently we have been having a few issues and I think it could be related to DNS. The first issue is randomly on a few machines around the building, students are not able to retrieve their mapped home drive but if the students logs onto a different machine it works perfectly. I did a lot of diagnosing on the machine and checking permissions on the folders but eventually ruled it out as it seemed to be machine specific and not moving around with the pupil. If I reimaged the machine it worked fine after that. The other issue I have seen recently is all of a sudden certain servers are not contactable on desktops. When looking at DNS I notice that the A record for that particular server has disappeared in DNS forward lookup zone. If I renter the A record and then run ipconfig /flushdns and /registerdns, give it a few moments then connection is established again and then it will be fine for weeks and then all of a sudden the A record will disappear but this time for a different server. I have checked Ipconfig /all on both server and client and all seems to be well. its picking up correct DNS servers, I don’t see duplicate records in DNS. Does anyone have any idea of what could be going on here? as I am confused.. One thing I will point out is months ago we did have issues when machines were getting ip conflicts and we found in DNS that multiple IP's were being assigned to the same machine. We believe we addressed this by adjusting our scavenge stale resource records (non refresh and refresh interval to 7 days). We also set enable automatic scavenging of stale records to 1 day as this was not originally setup. Could this be related to the issues we are having. Fortunately the issue isn’t that bad but we do get this issue now and again and I would like to nip it in the bud if I can as its always tends to bite us and the most inconvenient times!! Thanks
-
Hi Folks Just wanted to ask fellow members who use Reason on a MAC. I want to create an updated Netboot image for our 10.5.8 Leopard Mac Desktops and want to (if possible) include the Reason Application on the image, saving us installing it manually on each client. Does anyone know if this is possible? Has anyone got this working? Thanks
-
Hi I had a look at this as we seem to be having the same problem but doesnt seem to be working for us. We have Windows 7 Enterprise clients all on a domain and connected to a Windows 2008 AD network but using a 2003 File server for all home areas. We seem to be having a problem with certain clients only that when a user logs in it presents their home directory but they are not able to access it. It comes up with a message saying an error occured. When I run RSOP on the machine it says that folder redirection could not complete this function. I also see lots of error messages on that machine which says it was not able to perform folder redirection on all the file folders e.g. desktop, appdata, movies, music etc It only seems to be affecting our students, If an admin or staff member logs in, the folder redirection works fine. It doesnt work on any student account. I have also tried to clear all the accounts on the workstation and deleting the profiles in the registry by going to regedit, HKLM, microsoft, software, Windows NT, current version, Profile list and deleting any inactive profiles. Can anyone help? Thanks
-
Can anyone confirm whether the PSN Network is down?
-
Thats great, thanks for that Sukh. Am I right in saying that if I am creating mail enabled security groups I need to create these in Exchange MMC and not AD users and computers? I just tried to create a test group in AD groups and it didnt appear in exchange distribution group even though I set the AD group to universal security and added in an email address.
-
Hi I have a questions regarding file permissions of folders and linking this with a distribution group using Exchange 2007. Please accept my apoligises if I have put this thread into the wrong section but I feel this may be the best section. In our school we have a flat Windows 2008 AD domain with 2 DCs on a single forest and a 2008 File server. I am guessing most schools have this problem where the staff shared folder over time increases and becomes a mess. I am currently looking at sorting out this share where multiple users and groups currently save, delete and create documents on. I want to change this to allow only certain groups to be able to save work on there. What would also be useful is if that same group could also be used as a distribution group for email. We use exchange 2007 on the network as well. I wanted to ask what advantages and disadvantages are there for using 'mail enabled universal security groups' in Exchange 2007 which I think will allow me to use a group as a distribution list in Outlook as well as a AD security group to provide permissions for folders. Would I be better of creating 2 groups with same name, one which will be a mail enabled distribution group for use with exchange and then create a normal security group in AD which would be used to lock down persmissions on files and folders. The first option sounds great but I am thinking what effect would this have if we ever decided to remove exchange or upgrade exchange, what effect would this have with the folder permissions? if I used mail enabled universal security groups. If anyone could advise that would be great. The first option would be better as it will save me creating duplicate groups and manually adding in members and it also means 1 group to manage for each department and team. Thanks
-
Licensing changes for schools - there's good news coming at BETT
ranj replied to Kitkatninja's topic in Licensing Questions
Question I have is with the schools agreement we had previously we had access to a Technet Agreement via Software Assurance. Does this benefit still stand? I make good use of the Technet agreement via forums, 2 free support calls and the e-learning features, would be great to continue to use these..... -
stream music, Napster, Spotify all in one system.... Confused!!!
ranj replied to ranj's topic in General Chat
Been looking around even further and i'm beginning to think maybe the Sonos systems are the right one. Has anyone got one of these... Sonos Bundle BU250 Including Zoneplayer 90 and 120: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics The sonos Bundle BU250. Do these devices have built in speakers? Do they have inputs if I want to connect my Mp3 player or PS3? -
stream music, Napster, Spotify all in one system.... Confused!!!
ranj posted a topic in General Chat
Hi I am in the market for a mini hifi system to go into my bedroom. I have a Netgear ReadyNAS box, this is kept in the loft. I have a PS3 system as well but this in my room, I can access content from NAS on the PS3 with no issue wirelessly which is great. The sound out of my 20" LCD is crap to say the least so was thinking of purchasing a Hifi system which isn't very big but will allow me to connect my PS3 through this so I can receive better sound quality whilst watching Blurays, playing games and listening to music. I am also interested in looking at a system which can integrate spotify or Napster system so I can listen to music via the internet. I understand the Sonos systems can do this. Does anyone have one? Do they recommend it? Seems to be lots of people raving about these... I personally dont like the look of them but could live with that if it can do the things above. The size seems to be ok for me as well, I could live with that. Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks -
Hi I am planning on getting our Exchange server updated next week to the latest service pack and associated patches. Just wanted to check that I can do a straight upgrade from SP1 to SP3 of exchange 2007? Also my intention was to follow the steps below. Would this be the correct method? Exchange sits as a VMware ESX4 virtual machine. This is what I intend to do: Turn off Receive Connectors to ensure all mail in and out stops flowing whilst I am doing the upgrade. Switch the Exchange server VM off Snapshot the VM Bring the server back online Do the service pack upgrade to SP3 as well as other updates. Ensure fully patched up. Turn receive connectors back on. Make sure Exchange is working and mail flowing in and out. Once up and running, Delete the snapshot Would others follow this sequence? Any other advice anyone can provide would be helpful. I dont see any issues but thought I would check.... Thanks
-
Hi We are using the registered version of Super Duper. We are running the latest stable version which I believe is 2.6.2 (v87). We have been using it for some time now and it has been a great product but recently we are starting to run into problems. Just wanted to know if anyone else is using it to perform backups and if they can relate to the issue we are having. Since a restart of our Mac Server which is running 10.5.8 Leopard server none of the scheduled tasks run at the allocated time. If I run the jobs manually through the GUI they work fine. I have tried to restart the Mac Server numerous times, I have also deleted all the scheduled tasks and recreated them but doesn’t seem to work. Does anyone know what could be the issue? I have had a look at the superduper forum and have noticed other users who have encountered this issue but there doesn’t seem to be any workaround. It’s really odd how all of a sudden it has stopped working. If I cant get it working I am tempted to use Carbon Copy Cloner, just to confirm can I create scheduled tasks with the free edition? Many thanks
-
Licensing changes for schools - there's good news coming at BETT
ranj replied to Kitkatninja's topic in Licensing Questions
Thats great, one huge benefit is access to the technet subscription which also provides 2 support calls. If we extend for 3 months will this benefit still be available. We have already used our 2 support calls btw. -
?Ok but then how do you get around having my documents in an offline state?
-
Recommend me a class-set of video cameras...
ranj replied to enjay's topic in AV and Multimedia Related
I have a question regarding Apple Mac usage and video cameras.. We have 2 sets of flip cameras We have the FLIP ultra U1120 (black in colour) and an older version (white in colour) both are the non HD models. Since we have upgraded to iMovie 09 we seem to not be able to use the older version as they record in AVI format, these work fine on Windows. I need to purchase some more but we dont need very high quality but need to be compatible on iMovie 09. Do all the new flip cameras 3rd generation support use on both platforms, iMovie and Moviemaker? -
I think if you go to go, connect to server and depending on what protocol you have setup e.g. afp, nfs or smb you should be able to type smb://ipaddressofnasbox. Try that
-
Hi All We have just recently upgraded some of our office machines from Office 2003 to Office 2010 and some of our users who print labels are having some difficulties which I hoping someone can help me on. In Word 2003, users created a custom label template and when printing this of on multiple sheets it was fine, the labels would be in the correct place and would print fine. Since Word 2010 install, users attempt to create an identical template based on the figures that they inputted when using Word 2003 and it seems to print of the first page fine, its all in line and correct but if the labels are on more than one page, when these are printed off they slowly begin going out of alignment the more pages that are printed. When we tried to print on 2 different sets of printers we had the same problem so I am sure the problems isn't printer related but more likely a setting in Word or the way the pages or labels have been setup. Has anyone seen symptons similar to this? If anyone could advise it would be most appreciated. Thanks
-
Does anyone know of a way to grab the footage of flip cameras and compress it. The footage students and staff are grabbing is at such high quality it is not needed. I need to find an easier way for users to compress their footage. I believe on the flip camera itself there are no options for compressions. Do other schools have this same problem>
-
Hi I have been asked to look into integrating a chat facility into our outlook system and just wanted to know how this would be possible and if its possible with most of our staff using Outlook Web access.. We have an exchange 2007 server and my understanding is I could purchase Office communications manager and marry the 2 together and this would give us the functionality for a chat feature which is logged and can be integrated into Outlook. Schools who have Office communications server does it need to be installed on seperate server or can it be integrated onto the exchange server? We have a Microsoft Schools agreement so not sure how if we purchased the communication manager package how would this affect licensing as I believe this product isn't currently licensed with our agreement, but I may be wrong. If anyone know a supplier who specialises in this I would appreciate this so I can begin investigating the viability into it. I believe the chat feature is available with the hosted live edu systems??? Thanks
-
Who uses what proxy server inside their network?
ranj replied to DCS's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Aftering years with Squid Proxy on Gentoo and then Ubuntu, decided that for what we wanted to do we needed to do a bit of an overhaul. Smoothwall provided exactly what we wanted and been very impressed with it since. We using the school guardian product. -
Does anyone know if the high contrast and sticky keys can be disabled when the machines are sitting on thje CTRL+ALT+DEL screen. We are using Windows 7 Enterprise also would these custom ADM's work? Thanks
-
Hi We have just recently upgraded all of our IT rooms to Windows 7 Enterprise 32bit. We are having a problem and I think the problem is partly that the machine is old but wanted to see if others had similar problems. We have a machine which teacher uses and is connected to a smartboard. This machine worked fine when it was on Windows XP. The machine spec is Athlon 64 3000 with 2.5gb RAM. Since Windows 7 is now on it, the response to use the pens has been very slow, to move the toolbar from one end to the other is incredibly slow. I have tried the touch options as mentioned on a similar thread about turning this feature off, thats resolved one problem where the teacher couldn't move objects on the smartboard as freely as before. The touch panning fix has resolved this but it is still slow. To prove that it was the machine that could be slow, we also used a Core2Duo laptop with 3gb RAM and Windows 7 installed also but weirdly we had the same issue on the laptop as well with moving the taskbar from one side to the other. Does anyone know if this is a Smartboard related issue with Windows 7? does anyone have any suggestions of particular settings which we should set on a 7 machine which relates to Smartboard 10.6 install. We have installed the latest versions of the smartboard software but still not fix. Help!
-
We are in the process of rolling Windows 7 to about 160 machines I am interesting in looking at the multicast options in WDS (which we haven't set up at the moment) as I understand we will be able to rollout the same image to multiple machines at the same time and multicasting in WDS will certainly help the process. Our plan was to rollout this evening and come back in the morning and hopefully the imaging will be completed so we can do some post installation tasks and its all done. Does anyone have any tips on how best to set this up and things we should look out for? Thanks
-
Hi I am running Retrospect 8.1 for Mac to do a replication backup from live server to 2 seperate NAS boxes. One is a freenas box which talks via AFP and the other is to an overland SNAP server which talks NFS. I am having a few problems using the copy function in Retrospect to copy all the contents of the RAID over to 2 seperate NAS destinations. I having problems doing backups to these destinations. I have tested that if I use a external drive connected via Firewire it seems to be fine. Does anyone know how best I can create a replica of the server storage to the NAS boxes. We used to use these NAS boxes to keep backups of Retrospect catalogs which I used to use the backup function of retrospect but having previous bad experience trying to restore from a backup and getting the need media message I thought I would try the copy function instead. The errors I get in the logs are the following: On email: From Retrospect: Script "MonWedFri AppleNas" failed during automatic execution, error -1017 ( insufficient permissions). Please launch Retrospect and check the log for details. Script: MonWedFri AppleNas Date: 11/29/2010 Script "MonWedFri AppleNas" incomplete When I look at the logs I get a lot of Scanning incomplete, error -1101 (file directory not found) I have also seen MAP error: unknown MAC error 45. Can anyone help? To me this seems certain to be a permissions problem just wondering if other techs had similar problems settings up network storage to do backups from a MAC server and how did you do it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-
Move DFS to 2003 R2 to 2008 R2 server. What am I doing wrong?
ranj replied to ranj's topic in Windows Server 2008 R2
I have just installed DFS management on old 2003 server and seems to be working now. I let you know how I get on. -
Move DFS to 2003 R2 to 2008 R2 server. What am I doing wrong?
ranj replied to ranj's topic in Windows Server 2008 R2
Hi On the new server i have installed the DFS role, I have heard that I may need to install DFS-R on the old server for the 2 to work. Do you know how I could do this, I understand I need the 2nd disk for the 20003 R2 disk.
