Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Oddbod

Members
  • Posts

    398
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Oddbod

  1. Ignored… they're my toes. I don't see anywhere in the contract where they will pay for missing digits due to an accident on their part.
  2. Put all the docs into docuwiki, on wikiserver for techs eyes only. carry around on usbstick, print off any major changes at the end of the month, file em offsite… that sorta thing. NMs have been pretty surprised at the openness of this… but I've been doing this now for twenty years… amazing how nothing regarding documentation changes! Erm… learnt the hard way… no point leaving your disaster recovery documents in the school that just caught fire… or college that suffered a flood… on the second floor… hmmm…
  3. Downvote for iTrent. Expensive, steep learning curve, adds too many hoops. Local HR team avoided it even though it was foisted on them by the university that acquired the college. The trainer couldn't explain how it would link up with payroll (maybe that was a plugin) but training company should be aware of the options.
  4. You don't have to… just create a workflow without the reimage step. Easy You still have to tidy up your OU though..
  5. College logo Short sleeve shirt or polo shirt, dark cargo pants or trousers, dark shoes or work boots. College logo fleece. I do remember the first week I joined, where they had run out of short sleeved shirts in my xxl size and supplied me with long sleeved starched ones (eugh!) The following week, I had tailored all the sleeves to short and machined a double blind hem in college blue. Very nice…[emoji3] They tended to leave me alone regarding dress code after that… Although I do recall my NM suggesting that I went on security detail due to the getup I arrived in… full motorbike salopettes, body armour, flip front helmet, bovver boots… only due to what the winter weather throws at you on a motorcycle.
  6. When doing this hostname rename, I found it worked a lot better when run close to the start of the deployment workflow. Try running as second or third step before reinstallation of the image.
  7. Ha! I was always amused that the icon for known networked windows PCs looked vaguely like it was suffering from blue screen o’death at the time…
  8. Based on here: http://www.ipofficeinfo.com/pdf/SALES/Avaya%20IP%20Office%20Mobile%20Worker%20Preferred%20LB4823.pdf …you'd need a 3641 / 3645 wireless ip model to work with that version of ip office. Failing that, they also talk about setting up an android device for that extension, maybe you could try that?
  9. Rejected @ 1220 on 21 sept 2015. Good luck to anyone else who submitted.
  10. Second the eyefi pro sd card. Configure the card before inserting it into an sd card enabled device and bingo! IoT compatible device… My doxie scanner is now connected, or my camera, or my freeview digibox from ebay… they do have a list of compatible devices, so do check the eye-fi site beforehand.
  11. Yo?! I would hope it had a better command of the Queen’s English than that… [emoji3] Interesting question to ask the fridge salesbot…
  12. Much as i’d like to do this, the thought of having to give the fridge access to the net worries me… what if it had a chat with the bathroom scales and ocado… and by mutual agreement, they decided i needed to go on a diet? “I’m sorry, I can’t let you eat that doughnut, Dave…”
  13. Done, submitted at 2340 on 14 Sept 2014
  14. Cat6 with dual trunks on the hp gear I bought off eBay. Need it for the render farm I'm building
  15. Screenflow4. I used this for exactly what you're describing. Good for video podcasting and online tutorials too. iMovie / final cut x layout if you're used to those applications.
  16. Drama department has its own AV tech, however I help out when I can. I was instrumental in installing q-lab with art-net on enttec so that the teachers could control the lighting and sound desks from their iPads, which they liked… as it prevented them from losing the attention of the class mid-rehearsal.
  17. In the stationary cupboard, I've got Fridge magnets Door stops Chocks Wedges Epoxy resin Whereas in the stationery cupboard I tend to have… Pens (unused… we're in the new technology age) Pencils (ditto) Erasers (ditto) Backup tapes (spare) Spare tape (for backup) Obscure toners for printers we no longer have Obscure printer spares for printers we no longer have Obscure ink cartridges for teachers printers we no longer employ White chalk (that can't be used on whiteboards) Black markers (that can't be used on blackboards) … And other sundry items [emoji3]
  18. For the lack of keeping possession and passing, they make up with lack of fouls, bickering with the ref, professional fouling, arguing the toss, over celebrating a goal, behaving like spoilt children… The flow of the game has been much better… almost to the point that I watched a game for full ninety minutes… [emoji3]
  19. Littlemachines do an outlook to apple mail tool that extracts the outlook pst into separate mails for archiving or exporting. It'll even handle contacts and calendars. 8convert or O2M from http://www.littlemachines.com $10
  20. Beyond your ruckus, you'll need the iPad registered to a central Apple ID and find my iDevice switched on. Or if you have multiple iPads with multiple Apple IDs, then you need to be using Prey to track it (again switched on) Or, if you're using absolute MDM to manage your iDevices, set a profile that gives the device open access to the net and force a quiet update, details on their site… [emoji3]
  21. It's to prevent OoO tennis… seen it happen before on an exchange server. Can get really slow if a couple of dozen people are OoO. We tended to mothball (remove, but keep a list of what they're in) long term absentees from the groupmails to prevent this.
  22. Mac mini server to drobo-s or drobo-d raid storage that can be increased in a heartbeat
  23. Absolute MDM for cross platform device management… see http://www.absolute.com/en-gb/products/absolute-manage/mdm Meraki - if you have Cisco network hardware for iPads, then there is Casper… after that, most other MDM systems I looked at were business/corporate focussed… Pupils own devices - would require them to agree to a profile being downloaded to their device, you would have to give them an incentive to accept that - like free wifi whilst on site. Bit of a grey area, you might need to get parental consent… Regards
  24. You might have to go down the route of a separate tracking system whilst under supervision. I put a dozen iPads onto prey project (http://www.preyproject.com) when I couldn't monitor them via “find my iDevice” until we got a separate Mobile Device Management server up and running.
  25. Go to this page: http://bibblio.org.ipaddress.com Seems like they have a few extra nameservers to worry about… It's also being handled through the Amazon web service - got that blocked? Regards
×
×
  • Create New...