-
Posts
1,402 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by ADMaster
-
I found this UK based link that says they are discontinued, clicking on the bread crumbs to storyphones returns no results. https://www.ypo.co.uk/product/detail/D80415
-
The oldest, active Linux distro, Slackware, turns 25
ADMaster replied to unixman_again's topic in *nix
I started out on rh 7.x then I bought cds for debian 2.4 from somewhere as these were the days of dial up, I used it for a bit. At some point I had a play with mandrake, suse, and several others I don’t recall. Then I used Gentoo for about 3 years that was quite the experience. I then found Ubuntu and its variants. I used it on the desktop for another 2 years or so, but ended up putting on windows to better manage windows networks. This was also about the time they created their own UI, I think they have gone back to Gnome now. I introduced Ubuntu server to my school and that is my goto Linux server, but if I get a virtual appliance with something else I’m fine with it. I tried repurposing some old desktops at work with puppy but never put any into production. I ended up using thinstation for those. I never used slack, I may have tried it, but not for any length of time. The lack for dependency resolution probably caused too many problems as a beginner. Debian is only a few months younger, 25 years is a great milestone for them. -
Can I get a visual on this, I've never seen or heard of this setting before. However I do have passcore setup. Its not true SSO, but users are directed to it instead of googles change password page. I tried to say I forgot my password, entered an old one and was asked to contact my administrator. Thanks,
-
I’m not sure if this is a serious question, or a misunderstanding of what you’re asking. This has been talked about every six months for the last few years. In short, script everything you can during osd, swap in the updated wim and tweak as needed for each build. I wouldn’t bother upgrading a classroom PC, just reimage. SCCM has an upgrade TS if you really want to do the upgrade route, I’m sure MDT has something similar. It also sounds like your WSUS may not be configured properly, so you should check what products and classifications you’re syncing.
-
I'll send a PM shortly, but I just reread this thread, and watched the DNA overview video. What do you think PDQ does that DNA doesn't, they have a software deployment module?
-
School Websites - what do people do?
ADMaster replied to mikes's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
I host our Joomla site in house. I'm working on an upgrade / redesign with a free template for next year. In the past I've compared Joomla WordPress Drupal and tikiwiki Tikiwiki had potential but my website editors are familiar with Joomla. Drupal was most powerful but most complex. WordPress was most easy / user friendly but not as custmizable / powerful. Joomla is a balance. -
CCTV footage - how do you protect it?
ADMaster replied to fiza's topic in Data Protection & Information Handling
The last footage I pulled I put on Google drive and shared it with the police. -
Fair enough To clarify PDQ doesn't to remote support directly. It has tools / shortcuts to windows RA and RDP. The paid version allows you to create your own tools. I have created tools to open SCCM RC LAPS etc. I'm the opposite. I can't justify DNA with what I already have. I suspect many of the auto update / deployment features won't work entirely as expected. You can always update the version number in the free version. But it's been so long since I have tried the free version I forget what is free or not. I used to create packages and collections myself. It was nice when they made the collection library. I'd be interested to talk to you about your setup further. It sounds like our schools are similar in size / setup. I'd guess that DNA cost more then PDQ Get the free version of both and see how it works for you, request a trial of the full version.
-
I last used the license server for inventor 2015. I use the internet activation method now.
-
I can't do the poll on the app but... I'm not sure what I'd do if I had to do it again. I'd say it depends on cost / current AV subscription and what features you will use. I've been running SCCM for about 5 years. When I made the switch the cost of adding it to EES was cheaper than a Sophos renewal. So benefits of SCCM and endpoint protection for less then AV alone. I even skipped a year on PDQ trying to go full SCCM but I missed PDQ so renewed the next year. The big advantage of SCCM was software install and keeping it updated. PDQ has come along way in that time, I think I've had it since 2011. From what I've read on here you can do all the same scripting / customizations during OSD with MDT. The last version of PDQ allows you to call the deployment via script during OSD. If you already have other AV I'd consider a MDT / PDQ solution. SCCM will also allow for several other options, reimage remotely Better schedule / reports on updates Remote control for support Endpoint protection A lot with cloud integration I'll explore this fall. Since you have the time learn SCCM if budget permits / AV renewal is coming soon. My EES renewal this year will have lots of cloud options I've never had before like intune. Does intune manage endpoint too? Maybe MDT PDQ and intune. +1 to scripting everything in and swapping the win. There is usually a few tweaks to account for the new features each build but much less work then build / capture. I hope my ramblings make sense.
-
I have both. I would recommend it. Inventory is how deploy knows what computers need updated. You can also link to spice works inventory. Inventory is what I have open all day. I can search for a computer by name and with a few clicks or key combos have event logs RDP or a remote support session.
-
Another +1 for enterprise. Adobe / Google is just updated with no input from me. When I reimage a machine it grabs all the latest versions from PDQ + the latest CU. So my machines are fully patched and updated when the TS is done.
-
EDGE 240GB SE847 SSD They have a sandforce controller. The bios would reportSandforce 200026bb instead of EDGE SSD when they failed. I suspect a bad batch none of the replacements have failed and they just sent me enough to replace the ones that haven't failed yet. The other SSD fail I had the voicemail server no idea what model though.
-
Why I've never really had an issue with it. I've been using it since server 2008. I recommend everyone use it for consistent paths. I don't recommend the replication bit that can cause problems. But using it as a namespace keeps all paths the same. I've migrated our file server from physical 2008 to 2012 r2 virtual then to 2016 virtual all with no disruption to users.
-
I've had to use IE to get these. Chrome / FF just did not persent the network license option.
-
I replace the image during OSD no permission changes needed then as it's done as system. I think it was 1703 that changed it. I used to replace img100.jpg but aslo need to replace img103.png in 1703+. Don't quote me on exact numbers but hopefully that gets you in the right place. I can verify when I'm back in work if someone else hasn't before then.
- 7 replies
-
- background
- logon
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
I'm not in work so can't post screenshot and details. There is a screenshot of my TS in another thread somewhere on here. Keep in mind this TS upgrades from w8 or an older version of W10. Here are a few things from memory. Remove classic shell I used it on w8 Upgrade office everyone is upgraded now so that Will be taken out Remove apps Reset theme / branding. A 10 to 10 upgrade is ok but 8 to 10 made the theme look terrible. Remove OneDrive Remove 3d objects Remove pc reset Remove edge from desktop I'm sure I'm forgetting something but any customizations you do during OSD you likely need to redo during upgrade.
-
I finally got them to send me replacements for the remaining 2/3 so that's a summer project. So far none of the replacements have failed.
-
I've had a bad experience with SSD I'm hoping this year's batch are better. I've had more than 1/3 fail. The HDD was a quick fix to keep the machine running while the SSD was RMAed.
-
Keep them on the shelf for when the SSD's fail
-
I prefer a TS to reapply branding and remove apps. Apps may not be an issue going forward, but there are several custemizations I'd do.
-
The balloon notification is too easy to miss. I liked XP where it said it would expire in X days before you got the desktop. To help users know their password is expiring, I wrote a script that emails them Monday – Friday of the 7 days before it expires. The email explains to them how to change their password from a school computer or from home through email. I also explain what they will lose access to when it expires such as shares, printers and wireless. I wrote this mainly to head off the flood of tickets every February. Our policy is 180 days so 6 months after school starts I get flooded with I can’t print tickets. The root cause is people not properly logging off to get the notification, or those who log on at home with cached credentials.
-
Have you got duel scan turned on? https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/wsus/2017/05/05/demystifying-dual-scan/
-
The last time I setup RAS was part of a 2003 lab exercise in college. However logically their must be some sort of identifier passed onto dhcp if the clients are getting a lease, unless its random each session.
-
[Request] Looking for a script to pin Office shortcuts to Start
ADMaster replied to ashleylewisms92's topic in Scripts
Since your still on windows 8.1 I'd upgrade or use classic shell. Classic shell worked great for me on win8 it wasn't until 10 that it gave me problems. I never did like that full screen start menu. Hopefully whatever agreement / licensing your on will allow the upgrade. If you do upgrade, you can apply the xml via dism during OSD.- 17 replies
