-
Posts
2,502 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by jamesb
-
Just found this, which might help as well - Several ways to explain virtualization to a non-techie person | Expert Data Labs Blog While I think my favourite is the subway one, the final hotel analogy probably explains it best.
-
How to make online banking harder curtesy of Lloyds TSB
jamesb replied to Dos_Box's topic in General Chat
Barclays do the same, but allow you to set the transaction level to use them for. Currently mine's set to require the thingy for any transaction over £100, but anything under that I can do normally. -
Imagine we take one big, powerful server. Then we tell it that it's actually lots of little servers which we can do whatever we want with, without having to actually buy a new server each time. Any good?
-
Well, yes. Assuming you've got mixed mode authentication on and have an actual administrator account already available. If not there's a workaround to get into the system, but it's a little more work.
-
[news] Local Residents oppose Nursery as it could attract paedophiles
jamesb replied to somabc's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
Easy solution - don't allow kids. -
d) be used to check for potential 'terrorist' suspects being educated at our schools so they could be picked up early
-
Let's have an "idea shower" - 50 office-speak phrases you love to hate
jamesb replied to elsiegee40's topic in General Chat
Since good ideas are often referred to as golden, what do you call an idea shower which actually produces good ideas? -
Didn't notice that, but that works too. I was referring to current affairs.
-
Check it for explosives.
-
What about looking at a few commercial SLAs and seeing what their promises/commitments are? It'd give you something to compare your actual performance against at least.
-
Cargo plane 'bomb' packed into toner cartridge
jamesb replied to AngryTechnician's topic in General Chat
The £10 phone has never been used, so I'm not too concerned about that. The selection of SIM cards is mainly because I grab them whenever I get the chance, just in case they'll come in useful one day. -
Carrying enough cash to buy the ticket, so that you don't make a traceable withdrawal? Also once you're there, how do you stay low? Nope, don't see the need. I'm not actually paranoid or a conspiracy theorist, just enjoy thinking about such things.
-
Just something which the cargo bomb thread made me think about, but somewhat off topic for that thread. Let's say that, for whatever reason, you need to vanish completely off the radar. For some reason you have done something, or are under suspicion of doing something, that 'they' really want to find you for, and ask you unpleasant questions about. So they have your mobile details, all of your card details, they know about your car, where you live, everything. At most you've got a few hours to prepare for big men in black suits coming to kick down your door and ask you about the aliens. How do you react, and what do you have prepared in advance? How do you then stay off the radar long enough that the fuss dies down, or get away to somewhere else?
-
Cargo plane 'bomb' packed into toner cartridge
jamesb replied to AngryTechnician's topic in General Chat
There are much, much better ways to scare people than something like this which would also be easier for 'them' to organise. I don't believe that either they're incompetent enough to use such a poor method, and simultaneously competent enough to keep a complete lockdown on any leaks or other flaws in the plan. I know, which is why I have a cheap £10 phone at home and a handful of free SIM cards, just in case I need to be untraced for a while. I do also have a contract phone registered in my phone, and if I were doing anything where I'd want no possibility of being tracked that phone would either stay at home, or be loaned to a friend for a while. -
Cargo plane 'bomb' packed into toner cartridge
jamesb replied to AngryTechnician's topic in General Chat
Read Little Brother. Kick your paranoia up a notch. The moment they start wanting to put microchips or GPS trackers on us I'm going on the run. -
Do you ever run a computer without an antivirus and/or firewall?
jamesb replied to bladedanny's topic in General Chat
No, there are less viruses around for Linux, and the majority are targetted at Windows. There is some ground to the claim that Linux is inherently more secure, but the main reason it's less 'prone' is the lack of targetting by virus writers. -
Cargo plane 'bomb' packed into toner cartridge
jamesb replied to AngryTechnician's topic in General Chat
I have my doubts. Planning a conspiracy like this would require a lot of competence, as well as being extremely careful to avoid leaks. I just don't think the authorities are that confident, nor that motivated to raise the cost of printer cartridges. If they're trying to keep everyone scared there would be much, much more effective ways to do it. -
What're you planning to use as the hypervisor? Most will have a list of compatible hardware. It'll probably work on hardware which isn't on the list, but you won't get support.
-
Do you ever run a computer without an antivirus and/or firewall?
jamesb replied to bladedanny's topic in General Chat
Yep, absolutely. I have a small network at home with no antivirus or firewall. Admittedly there's also no connectivity to the outside world whatsoever from it. I use it as a playground environment. -
Cargo plane 'bomb' packed into toner cartridge
jamesb replied to AngryTechnician's topic in General Chat
After the pants bomb debacle I'm already surprised that they're not making us all fly nude. Now I can't even take a toner cartridge with me. No one tell them about the incendiary potential of Li-ion batteries or we'll be leaving anything electrical behind. -
SIMS Discover, not SIMS. I suspect it's to do with the graphics as much as anything else and the requirements aren't finalised yet.
-
Visual Studio workflow: Copy a document from one SharePoint document library to another @ Document Management and Workflow Info - is this any use?
-
Do you want it to copy just once when the document is uploaded, at a set time, or following some other criteria than just the tag?
-
New alternate access mapping, select the application which you want (rgmedia in this case), put the full URL people will be typing in, save. That should do it. More detail here - Configure alternate access mapping (Windows SharePoint Services)
-
Easiest way will be to set up a host entry on the external computer which relates to the right IP address. Should work after that.
