-
Posts
2,502 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by jamesb
-
Best way? Use TMG and publish the SharePoint site through that - Legacy - Configuring SharePoint publishing Alternatively it depends what you're planning to publish the site through.
-
Revisiting this, we may now be going down a completely different path (which I feel little, if any, regret about). We're looking at a third party solution which would do exactly what I want it to do. The only problem is the price, and the fact that only the Enterprise license provides the required API. On the other hand I think I can justify the price tag as to build anything more than simple, static reports ourselves, let alone coming close to what this one provides, would take six months at a bare minimum and probably longer. It's also worth noting, for those who are looking to do some more detailed SharePoint usage reporting on SP2007, that they also have a Lite version available for free. The product's CardioLog and I'd be interested to know if anyone has prior experience of this or any other information which might be useful. I'm currently trying to schedule a phone call with them to discuss requirements and will be able to update after that.
-
I know that Salamandersoft do a solution for about £750 - SalamanderSoft Limited - My Documents & My Shared Documents Web Parts : Access to your home folder and shares through SharePoint Alternatively you could either create your own web part to do it, or switch everyone's My Documents path to a SharePoint MySites path so that they can get to their files that way.
-
Unfriendly Article vents at Edugeek and its members
jamesb replied to SYNACK's topic in General Chat
Were the BOFH real, the Internet would be a much quieter place if nothing else. -
You've not got a default page set up in IIS, so it's trying to do directory browsing when you go to the site instead. If you go to the site in IIS Manager you should be able to set up default.aspx as the default page, which'll fix the problem.
-
How about browsing to the same site, with /default.aspx added to the URL rather than just the servername?
-
I should sell these people a wonderful little device I've invented. I call it the long-range wireless telephone. It's particularly clever, because it's mobile and means that you can make a quick call to someone even if only to let them know that you're aware of an issue while you're not in the office.
-
If you create a new SharePoint web application through Central admin, on another port, does it work normally?
-
Which IP address(es) is it bound to? The other sites shouldn't be able to run if they're sharing port and IP, so it may not be bound correctly.
-
If you go to manage web applications, does it show that there should be one on port 80?
-
Although there have been some lovely cases where articles in national papers have cited Wikipedia as a source - and then been cited as sources on the very article pages that they're referring to. Recursion is fun.
-
Unfriendly Article vents at Edugeek and its members
jamesb replied to SYNACK's topic in General Chat
Those who can't learn, preach. -
I'd disagree with a few points here. Firstly eBooks do tend to be cheaper than physical books, sometimes substantially so, and free books are available. On the format standardization there's pretty much Amazon's, mobi and ePub. If you get a Kindle then ePub's difficult, but there are converters available for all of the formats, and since most people with a Kindle will be buying from Amazon the format's not an issue in the first place. My phone's battery lasts for two days. My Kindle needs charging about once a month - and I read a lot. The easier on the eyes thing is also important - I work at a computer all day, sometimes it's nice to get a break from that bright, glaring screen. Usually when I need such a break I read. I've yet to find a book I'm interested in reading which is more expensive in eBook format, but it doesn't mean they don't exist. In general though they are noticeably cheaper than a physical book - they also take up a lot less space.
-
He takes it to the local coffee shop with him, or has it out on the beach for hours at a time? It all depends what you want out of it. If he just wants to be able to sit at his desk and read then yep, go with just the app. If on the other hand he wants to read in bed, or settle on the sofa with a good book, the laptop's not going to be the best choice.
-
Well yes, the app's all well and good, but if you're using it on a laptop it doesn't quite have the same convenience as being able to slip it into your coat pocket and read whenever you feel like it.
-
Unfriendly Article vents at Edugeek and its members
jamesb replied to SYNACK's topic in General Chat
Quite a bit, it's why I got a touchscreen laptop rather than a normal. Most of the time I don't use it, but when I'm doing any design-type work or building diagrams it's indispensable. -
Unfriendly Article vents at Edugeek and its members
jamesb replied to SYNACK's topic in General Chat
HTML5 commonplace by the end of this year? But they're not even putting it up as a final spec until 2014. Of course, I suppose it'd be beyond the skills of the author to do any actual research. Actually I don't. General usage of input devices, and understanding the principles needed to learn a new interface, those are life skills that need to be taught. Teaching a touchscreen distinct from a 3D display distinct from a mouse, and so forth, is not the way to do that. In terms of life skills, knowing how to best utilise multiple monitors is far, far more useful than having learned on a 3D interface display that'll never appear outside the classroom or for entertainment at home (or for the big boss of course, but that still falls under entertainment). No understanding of how the technology is actually used in practice comes across in that article at all. From the article: Thus by 2013 personal and business IT will have transformed utterly with Apps as common on desktops and notebooks as they are now on phones. I just found this line hysterically funny. Do you think he's even aware that apps are actually software applications and are in no way, shape or form a new idea? On the other hand, he does make one good point - the potential of the Nokia/Microsoft deal is great, and I'm hoping they live up to it. -
Does the server have a second PSU? If so, is only one of them plugged in? If it does have two, and one's plugged in, that's all the error's telling you. If it only has one then yep, it's lost power at some point.
-
Could you look at changing logon.bat to be a vbs script instead, and just ban batch files across the board?
-
What you're looking for seems to be a full SharePoint solution (integrating SLG with anything else would be more of a headache than it's worth. There are a lot of SharePoint consultancy companies around - two that spring to mind are Core Technologies and Diagonal Consulting, but there are plenty of others. As to the VLE site, there are solutions for SharePoint which'll tie in with Moodle quite happily, all of the SLG stuff will integrate in (Capita are probably the best people to talk to about this), the current AD accounts will just need permissions assigned which can be done easily enough in-house, and the library software I'm not too sure about. I have heard that Eclipse will provide web parts to plug in to SharePoint, but don't know about Oliver and Talis. If your webmail is exchange, that'll be quite an easy tie-in as well. You may find it easier/cheaper to look at individual SharePoint consultants as well as companies since the setup you're looking for doesn't look particularly challenging. Edit: Talis do appear to be working on web parts, which will be open source,
-
Of course, if it was easy none of us would have jobs. I've actually got a similar problem. There's a live, hosted site which is in use at the moment, and is set up as a standalone which can't be expanded. Given the amount of usage the system will be getting once the full solution's deployed, it would simply snap under the strain. The solution we're going for is to assign it to someone who can keep it limping along until an actual enterprise solution is finished, at which point it gets scrapped in its entirety and everything comes in-house. Some opposition to this idea at the moment, so I may have to use your story as an illustration of why trying to upgrade is more trouble than it's worth.
-
Well, you could buy the two or three iPads, but better might be to buy a dozen of the Android-powered tablets. Justifiable as, since they're for the children, more is better (along with cheaper in terms of replacement).
-
They really, really need to just take that option out. I've never seen a purpose for it (excepting installs on dev machines, but even then a farm works fine).
-
[font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af]SPFarm[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][font=Consolas][size=2] farm = [/size][/font][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff]this[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][font=Consolas][size=2].Farm;[/size][/font] [/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff]int[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][font=Consolas][size=2] intTime;[/size][/font] [/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff]foreach[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][font=Consolas][size=2] ([/size][/font][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af]SPService[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][font=Consolas][size=2] service [/size][/font][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff]in[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][font=Consolas][size=2] farm.Services)[/size][/font] [size=2][font=Consolas]{[/font][/size][/size][/font] [indent][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff]if[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][font=Consolas][size=2] (service [/size][/font][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff]is[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af]SPWebService[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][font=Consolas][size=2])[/size][/font] [size=2][font=Consolas]{[/font][/size][/size][/font] [indent][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af]SPWebService[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][font=Consolas][size=2] webService = ([/size][/font][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af]SPWebService[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][font=Consolas][size=2])service;[/size][/font] [/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff]foreach[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][font=Consolas][size=2] ([/size][/font][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af]SPWebApplication[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][font=Consolas][size=2] webApplication [/size][/font][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff]in[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][font=Consolas][size=2] webService.WebApplications)[/size][/font] [size=2][font=Consolas]{[/font][/size][/size][/font] [indent][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff]foreach[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][font=Consolas][size=2] ([/size][/font][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af]SPSite[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][font=Consolas][size=2] site [/size][/font][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff]in[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][font=Consolas][size=2] webApplication.Sites)[/size][/font] [size=2][font=Consolas]{[/font][/size][/size][/font] [indent][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af]OrganizationProfileManager[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][font=Consolas][size=2] organizationManager = [/size][/font][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff]new[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af]OrganizationProfileManager([/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af]SPServiceContext[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][font=Consolas][size=2].GetContext(site));[/size][/font] [/size][/font] [/indent] [indent][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af]OrganizationProfile[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][font=Consolas][size=2] root = organizationManager.RootOrganization;[/size][/font][/size][/font] [/indent] [/indent][/indent][/indent] [indent][indent][indent][indent][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff]foreach[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][font=Consolas][size=2] ([/size][/font][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af]OrganizationProfile[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][font=Consolas][size=2] organizationProfile [/size][/font][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff]in[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][font=Consolas][size=2] root.GetChildren())[/size][/font] [size=2][font=Consolas]{[/font][/size][/size][/font] [indent][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff]if[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][font=Consolas][size=2] (!(listOrganizations.Contains(organizationProfile)))[/size][/font] [size=2][font=Consolas]{listOrganizations.Add(organizationProfile);[/font][/size][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][font=Consolas][size=2]}[/size][/font][/size][/font] [/indent] [font=Consolas][size=2][size=2][font=Consolas]}[/font][/size] [/size][/font] [/indent][/indent][/indent] [indent][indent][font=Consolas][size=2][size=2][font=Consolas]}[/font][/size][/size][/font] [/indent] [font=Consolas][size=2]}[/size][/font] [font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff]foreach[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][font=Consolas][size=2] ([/size][/font][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af]OrganizationProfile[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][font=Consolas][size=2] organizationProfile [/size][/font][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff]in[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][font=Consolas][size=2] listOrganizations)[/size][/font] [size=2][font=Consolas]{ [indent]AddOrgPairing(organizationProfile.ID.ToString(), organizationProfile.GetImmediateMembers().ToList< [/indent] [/font][/size] [/size][/font] [indent][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#2b91af]UserProfile[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][font=Consolas][size=2]>());[/size][/font] [/size][/font] [/indent] [font=Consolas][size=2][size=2][font=Consolas]}[/font][/size][/size][/font] [/indent][font=Consolas][size=2][size=2][font=Consolas]}[/font][/size][/size][/font] [/indent][font=Consolas][size=2]}[/size][/font]
-
You could just stop all services, copy the files, import them into a new instance, cross your fingers and hope for the best?
