Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

sigma

Members
  • Posts

    1,681
  • Joined

Everything posted by sigma

  1. Wondering if all parents are automatically members of the PTA and all communications are blanket "Dear parent" or if the PTA maintains membership lists and corresponds as "Dear Mr and Mrs X". In the latter, the PTA needs to be registered in it's own right but in the former it's probably unnecessary save for this exercise. Schools also need to consider if they host the PTA on their own website, which type of PTA it is and ensure that the school's website privacy policy takes this into consideration. That said, I agree with Grumbledock. Let the PTA do the work and register if they have not already done so. It is not their place to generate extra work for what is likely to be an already overpressed school office even if it is well intentioned.
  2. I think you should get parental permission for the reasons you state.
  3. Only very recently. I bought a oneplus 6 which I deGoogled as much as possible. The signal coverage is patchy here so I’m off grid quite a bit.
  4. I don't need or want my location to be tracked. (I have an unregistered Oyster card that I top up with cash).
  5. There is good advice here: https://ico.org.uk/media/for-organisations/documents/2259722/subject-access-code-of-practice.pdf eg This may also help : https://ico.org.uk/media/for-organisations/documents/1554/determining-what-is-personal-data.pdf There area lot of guidance notes on the ICO website. Your DPO should also be able to help. If in doubt, talk to the ICO on 0303 123 1113 or email [email protected]
  6. I'm in the sticks, so wondering if that will be before we get gas or mains drainage.
  7. Its quite different. The Morrisons case concerned an employee mishandling other people's data. Once a data collection sheet has arrived in a sealed envelope to a parent, it is most unlikely that a school could then be responsible for a parent mishandling their own data.
  8. More detail here from "Woody" https://www.computerworld.com/article/3313317/microsoft-windows/theres-a-rash-of-wdfviolation-blue-screens-on-win10-hp-computers-with-an-as-yet-unknown-cause.html I'd say the jury is still out on whose fault it is.
  9. Once the parent has received the form, it is their responsibility to get it back to you and therefore the returning data in transit is not your problem.
  10. Microsoft have a long history of bricking users machines after updates. Some might argue that it leavers some users in a worse position. This time there "might" be some official assistance: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-says-they-can-recover-files-deleted-by-windows-10-october-2018-update/ I am not being lazy by not even starting to test updates until they have been out for at least a week - except for very exceptional circumstances.
  11. https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/14210/security-essentials-download For proper protection in Win 7 you need Security Essentials as well and pay for it as well https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13752/windows-security-essentials-eula
  12. From that link, (my bold) Probably still too early to call either way.
  13. It's not exactly expensive, and available for all schools nationally: https://swgfl.org.uk/products-services/software-and-licensing/sophos-software/
  14. Very well done to all of you, but be aware this a very leaky app. (Just like the others PHE offer). <-- long thread.
  15. I bought a 66 plate used Civic diesel (registered 31st Dec) this time last year. 2k on the clock, 0 road fund tax, 5 years service and roadside assist included. Was cheaper in Leicester than home, so that's where I went. Getting 68-70mpg. Really happy.
  16. If parents authenticated to the app via Facebook then their credentials will be subject to the latest Facebook data breach. http://www.edugeek.net/forums/security/199937-facebook-security-flaw-exposed-50-million-accounts-hackers.html#post1706912
  17. Drivers?
  18. There are other parties with a finger in this pie too. Where a school buys SIMS with SIMS support from their County or other supplier and that party has failed to notify the school about the problems, I would think they also have a liability.
  19. https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/report-a-breach/capita-sims-data-breach/
  20. Sorry to dig up an old post, but I have a query about syncronisation. There seems to be a great deal of simiarity/sharing of function between SIMS Parent and the SIMS Parent Lite, such as even if you are only using Parent Lite, there is only one SIMS Parent App. Is the syncronisation of the Parent Lite at the local SIMS server end the same as the syncronisation of SIMS Parent? What I'm trying to ask is if even if a school has only signed up to SIMS Parent Lite, do all the fields that would otherwise be synced for the full Parent get uploaded to Captia's Data Transfer Server (Capita's Cloud) but not link up further unless the full app has been purchased? (Because Capita only have the one process (maybe?))
  21. I am fed up with being told that everyone else is really happy with the new service and that I am the only one who is having problems (still) and the only one who is complaining. In spite of variouls meetings, the ony problems that have been fixed (so far) are: You can't change one school's filtering with another school's account anymore. For the schools I support, the Microsoft service that updates revoked certificates has been unblocked. These were blocked at higher than Portal level. (They wouldn't do that globally). Various automatic updaters have been unblocked that were also blocked at higher than portal level. Still no Privacy Policy. Still takes ages to navigate into reports. I don't always get the report I asked for. It times out in the middle of doing things. The Policy tester doesn't work. Safeguarding reports don't work. Can't run some detailed reorts for some small time periods. Can't unblock or block anything that is case sensitive such as specific Youtube videos. Global changes happen such as new categories which are set without being informed. Lack of timely response to dealing wth queries/problems.
  22. Net-Cntl get my vote too.
  23. There seems to be some "speed deflation". My original post quoted a speed of less than a 25MB download speed. My irritation (increasing by the day), is that my gut feel is that there are far more that 1200 schools nationally that get below 25MB download for whom a "business case" is not the issue but that that they cannot get that service because the infrastructure is not there or some fancy solution is seriously unrealistically expensive. Until there is some government investment, it will never be there because it is not commercially profitable as stated above. Meanwhile, DfE and DCMS are in effect "fiddling while Rome burns". Some schools round here still get less than 5MB and I can't see anything in the future that's likley to change it.
  24. Not forgetting to point them to the appropriate "Privacy Notice" and getting consent before you ask them to install the certificate if you've not done so via another route already.
  25. Actually, I started the thread because I think that DfE and DCMS have underestimated the number of schools that really can't get a minimum of a 25MB download speed because the infrastructure just isn't there rather than for suppliers to have an excuse for a sales pitch. I was hoping that others might be able to substantiate my view or to inform me that I'm mistaken. Either way, I think we are at the point where pupils in schools that do not have a 25MB minimum download speed are now being left behind. Rural discrimination maybe.
×
×
  • Create New...