sigma
Members-
Posts
1,681 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by sigma
-
Available to all UK schools: https://swgfl.org.uk/products/security-software/
-
I’m using ‘what’s new’, ‘my activity streams’, ‘custom activity stream’, and that seems to be working well for me.
-
The Wildlife (and Gardening for Wildlife) thread
sigma replied to elsiegee40's topic in General Chat
We sail on the Orwell and know it well. Over recent years we have seen far more seals, but also mats of green floating weed by the middle of summer. -
Ruth Miskin New Video Domain
sigma replied to JonnyAlpha's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
If I were the Smoothwall engineer, I could argue that (assuming it is) the Vimeo open player was still blocked, even if all the content on vimeocdn.com was allowed. Ruth Miskin’s site appears to be locked to only her videos. However should a pupil navigate to any other accessible site that hosts their videos on Vimeo, their video content would play “unfiltered”. -
Ruth Miskin New Video Domain
sigma replied to JonnyAlpha's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
I have never thought there was a problem allowing the architecture hosts ( which tend to be more constant), as distinct from the content (which tends to be more dynamic), per se. I use referrer headers all the time, but then you still often need to exclude the ads and trackers, as per KCSIE. I think it depends on the individual site structure as to the optimal way to achieve this. -
Transporter
-
Ruth Miskin New Video Domain
sigma replied to JonnyAlpha's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
I think you actually need "f.vimeocdn.com" which is the vimeo player scrips host rather than "vimeocdn.com" which also includes "unwanted content" if you wanted to really tie it down specifically. -
Scout
-
Winkle (picker)
-
Wondering if it means that more schools will be eligible? None of the rural schools I’ve ever worked in ever has been.
-
Royce
-
Critical
-
Also for a mini iPad. It’s difficult to read. Tiny text in lots of empty space.
-
AI Search Has A Citation Problem https://www.cjr.org/tow_center/we-compared-eight-ai-search-engines-theyre-all-bad-at-citing-news.php .
-
It certainly could if there was a badly designed policy. Have you checked the abtutor policies?
-
You could consider the Ts&Cs and Privacy Policies and see "where minimum ages are defined", how they match with the ages of your pupils?
-
Not forgetting that from a muscular-skeletal perspective, a desktop with a well positioned monitor and keyboard is better for the developing bones of kids than being sat hunched over a laptop for lengthy periods, regardless of how "un-wow" it looks.
-
A car vs money scenario... Please help me make up my mind!
sigma replied to AB_IT's topic in General Chat
We did similar for our daughter. A Toyota Yaris after "a friend" reversed into the Peugeot 206 she was driving (that had previously been my Dad's) and wrote it off. It all comes down to "cost per mile" Outlay, insurance, servicing, fuel economy, probable mileage and what you might expect to get back at the end. When you do the sums, its not always obvious when comparing cars what the overall best value will be. -
But that's Netsweeper, so a split vote.... We have SBB Netsweeper, but I would never describe that as "managed". There's no category for "mitigated" to correct their "less than safe" configuration.
-
Search Engine Primary Schools
sigma replied to amartin's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
I tried Swiggle but its not very robust and was quite happy to offer Andrew Tate's "preferences" and other nasty stuff in the search results (if you push it), so wouldn't recommend it.
