Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Nausing

Members
  • Posts

    151
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Nausing

  1. Thanks for the responses guys. I have deleted his Home drive and recreated using AD attribute %username%. This automatically assigns the users permissions and works fine for others. Also, every new file the user creates and saves in his home drive, he cannot open directly after closing it!
  2. Hello all, A user is getting 'Access is Denied' for a large percentage of his Home drive files. The user have full control of the drive, and is also the owner. He is able to open some files fine, but others not. As a domain admin I am able to open all the files. Any idea why this is happening and how to resolve? I've tested on multiple laptops and desktops, all are the same except one desktop which allowed him access to the files!? Thanks,
  3. Sounds good... But have you tested this as if it was a real situation..
  4. Thanks for your reply Matt, what cloud service do you use? What cost?
  5. Well do you backup raw data or full system states? We recently had this happen to us.. our single file storage with all profiles etc died... we purchased a new server and using DPM we transferred all our data to the new server with permission... Back in no time! I just want to find a long term storage solution for monthly backups... also need to backup SQL and Exchange mailboxes...
  6. No offsite monthly backup? What services do you backup on the NAS? what size?
  7. How do you successfully manage your backups and are you completely following Data Protection laws? What servers do you backup and what has been left out..? I've noticed members here who run weekly USB hard drive 'backups' and store them in their car.. Of course this doesn't seem very secure.. What does your school do to prevent the loss of data? Have you had to experience a real DR situation? Are you fully confident that if your file storage server dead tonight you could be back up within 48hrs? I'm trying to provide a good backup solution for the college I work at and would be interested in how you backup your data or what company you use for offsite long term data storage? Thank you!
  8. Look at Microsoft DPM.. .this is pretty much how I have it set up.. The DPM is using an iSCSI target to a 3TB NAS drive which basically writes a backup 3 times a day for 10 days
  9. I wanted to use rackspace as its very cheap.. how ever you have to use a third party application to run the backups.. too dirty for me..... We currently have DPM for onsite 10 day backup.. but want a cloud service to provide a monthly backup for 1+ year storage... We were with a company and paid £248 a month for 1TB but the backups kept on failing or erroring up and when it came to a real life DR situation we had to wait days for a external HDD with our data and with that had no permissions so was pretty useless... Luckily I set up DPM a few months before... we recreated a 2008 R2 server with the same name, installed the DPM agent and within 2 days 1.1TB of data was on the new server with permissions fully working.... I was looking at CrashPlan Pro by CeeJay.. only £15 a month for 5TB of data storage.. or additions are £40/TB so I was interested... I installed the software under 30 day trail and the UI was terrible.. I requiest support three times but they failed to provide me the answers to my questions so I gave up on them... Still searching on Google for a good company... I would also like to add Exchange mail boxes and SQL to the protection...
  10. I'm in the same sort of boat.. I want to backup a few physical servers to a cloud storage area for long term data protection...
  11. We currently use DPM for our onsite backup.. this works really well! Couldn't recommend it anymore.. Just looking for an offsite solution to do monthly back ups but seems to be harder then expected......
  12. What providers are these?
  13. Redstor quoted me £666/mo for 3TB storage for all my servers and exchange/sql
  14. I emailed you...
  15. We are currently paying £248 a month for 1TB backup with GigaSoft..... works out around 19p a GB.
  16. Hi peeps, We are currently using DPM 2007 to backup our file storage data to a 3TB NAS onsite, which is working lovely.. 3 backups daily, 10 day retention. I now want to backup ~10 physical servers to a cloud system. This will be system states, exchange server, SQL databases. Inc. our file storage server for weekly backups with a 4 week rotation. I am interested in RackSpace Cloud Files, as they offer 7p/GB storage pay as you go with 8p/GB download which should be fine due to the fact that a download would be rare.. hopefully.. Anyway my question is, I need a client/software to run the backup schedules and send up to RackSpace Cloud Files. I have seen some tools online that RackSpace suggest but none currently offer system state, exchange & SQL backup. Any suggests? Also it would be helpful to know what you use for offsite backups and what rotation/schedule you work with. Thank you! P.S I estimate the entile backup to be around 2.5-3TB mark.. possibly more. P.S.S I have looked at CeeJay (formerly Crash Plan) but they do not offer Exchange/SQL backup, just file.. although you can run alongside another client to create the file and then use CeeJay to backup...
  17. Hi guys, Currently successfully running DPM 2007 within the 180 day evaluation.. It has been running for a few weeks with a quick protection group I created. Now I would like to modify the protection group and just wondering what the feature 'Synchronization Frequency' actually does? I've read a few explanations but cannot get my head around it still. I am using DPM to backup our file server data in case a student or teacher deletes a file and needs it recovered. We have cloud backup but not exactly running how we wish to use it. My plan is to backup data onsite via DPM and then forward to a cloud service for long term storage. I am thinking of a 10 day retention on the recovery with the recovery point 19:00pm nightly... Is this a good idea? Should I set the Synchronization Frequency to occur just before a recovery point? Thank you
  18. Hi guys, I have set up an RDS server which is running all the relevant roles required. Under the RD Gateway Manager I have assigned the CAP to a user group for access within AD. I have also created a RAP that includes the user group and have created a new custom RD Gateway managed group and entered the servers name. Am I right to believe the only Computer they can remote on to within RDS WebAccess should be the servers name I inputted within the RD Gateway managed group? If not, how do I lock it down to only allow them to remote onto the servers name once they log into the RD WebAccess? Hope this makes sense. Thank you
×
×
  • Create New...