Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Primus

Members
  • Posts

    2,232
  • Joined

Everything posted by Primus

  1. Are your students able to create their own Meets @TwistedHelixis ? If not they shouldn't be able to join a Meet from the Classroom link without a teacher being already present in the Meet.
  2. Actually no that seems to have changed now, the URL Classroom uses is the nickname.
  3. Yes, my understanding is you have to use the nickname and direct them to meet.google.com to type it/paste it in and join.
  4. Were you using the URL or the nickname and going to meet.google.com and entering the nickname?
  5. Sadly you can't, to be honest it's one of those things where the school have to make a call - historically you wouldn't have known what time students were doing homework. Bed time etc. is very much a parental responsibility but I do see why working late at night etc might need to be flagged to pastoral staff.
  6. So if I understand this right, Adobe are offering it only for US customers? If so that's really disappointing and I'll be hunting down my account manager for a stern chat soon! Am I right?
  7. That’s a shame. It would have been really helpful.
  8. From a cursory look desmos.org and desmos.com are not the same thing at all.
  9. Sustainable? No? Sounds an awful situation, however we have to keep the number of students in school to an absolute minimum if we're going to get on top of this disease. Critical workers clearly have to be able to work, others sadly, like many, are having to take a hit or have awful working hours etc like your friend. It's awful but sadly it is what it is - if we don't get on top of this serious numbers of people will die.
  10. Have yourself a rest - this is ideal for my other site that runs O365 - most helpful poster of January 7th!
  11. We've not had any issues with that. I'm pretty sure they manage it themselves.
  12. You don't need to use ephemeral mode - just force all data to save to Google Drive.
  13. Cannot think why - schools all over the world do exactly this including us. We've got hundreds of shared use Chromebooks used by 1300 staff and students in just one school with zero issues.
  14. I didn't even realise Salamander did this - we're a customer so have asked them to turn it on for us. Thanks for the heads up!
  15. Only if you had a keyboard and mouse.
  16. However since use of Google Classroom often relies on all the other G Suite apps you need to be looking at this support article from Google here (and keeping an eye on it as it does get updated from time to time) - https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6334001?hl=en&ref_topic=3504941
  17. He very very very much has a point, yes this is stressful and difficult but any school having all of their staff in has massively missed the point of lockdown. Add into that lots of staff will have children of their own who are now off school. I'm in touch in one way or another with loads of schools locally and not a single one is going down the route of having all staff in. The students that are in require the smallest staff team possible to operate, everyone else needs to....... stay home, protect the NHS, save lives.
  18. Sigh I have - also directly to senior Google staff, for whatever reason no one is listening. It's a feature PowerPoint has had for years and they clearly have the tech as they use it in Jamboard.
  19. On that note, if Slides would just support ink/annotation that would make such a difference!
  20. From January, rapid-result tests will be provided to schools and colleges, starting with secondary schools and FE colleges, including special schools and alternative provision: for the school and college workforce to conduct weekly testing - this will help identify those who are carrying the virus without displaying symptoms, reducing the risk of transmission for students and pupils as well as the school and college workforce to conduct daily testing for those identified as close contacts of workforce colleagues, students or pupils that have tested positive - this ensures that they do not need to isolate and are able to continue to benefit from high quality, face to face education
  21. Yes that instruction to headteachers/SLT, many of whom have had no proper time off since February, was outrageous. I've always been quite militant so if I found myself in that position I'd be telling them to do one and let their £12 billion Track and Trace do the job they've been funded to the Nth for. Sadly this "government" treats so many people like mugs.
  22. In that instance I think the expectation is that it's a timetabled period actually on their timetable. That said the union guidance I've seen doesn't seem to properly include this option and focuses more on "gained time" where they say staff should still be only used "rarely".
  23. elsiegee40 is right - hence why you see variations in term lengths between private schools.
  24. I'm surprised the staff concerned haven't been to their union citing "rarely cover".
  25. On this subject I need to set this up in a new environment, has anyone got the guide they used to do AD SSO to G Suite login on Chrome?
×
×
  • Create New...