Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

powdarrmonkey

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    5,017
  • Joined

Everything posted by powdarrmonkey

  1. Replace: echo "1 record added"; with: header("Location: persons.php"); which will request the browser load the persons page. You must send headers before any other output, so you can't use echo statements before headers for example (unless they are conditional). Note: please use the php tags (look in the toolbar in the edit box) to make it easier to read code.
  2. See Slashdot Developers Story | Microsoft Bots Effectively DDoSing Perl CPAN Testers and draw your own inferences
  3. I like this idea (for the background discussion, http://www.edugeek.net/forums/general-chat/48275-why.html#post442188). I also like the idea of standardised fields, because free-form adverts make it difficult to compare prospective jobs, and arbitrary attachments ("in word format", eugh) annoy me as much as agencies with jobs that don't exist do. So here's powdarrmonkey's non-exhaustive, idealistic and probably unimplementable wish list*: jobs to be approved by a moderator before appearing in listings - to avoid dodgy agencies, spam and duplicate listings; eBay-like fixed fields for key information, for easy comparison; standardised attachments if required - application form, person specification, etc - rather than free-form; content must be in an open, accessible standard format (properly open, not just common); clear contact details and a web contact form. * of course, these are idealisms and this may not even be implemented at all, given how busy the forum staff are already. But they'd be nice.
  4. I like that GD's line ends in his crotch and Witch's in his armpit. Nice work
  5. Not true. If your web server is configure to parse files with the .html extension using PHP, then so be it. And in fact, any other arbitrary extension, which I do on a legacy site with some PHP but where it is essential the page names are preserved. However, the overhead of passing every file through PHP just in case is high, which is why most hosts only parse .php/.php4/.php5/.phtml/.phps files.
  6. powdarrmonkey

    Why?

    Pre-emptive strike before the we're-not-paid-enough-get-stuffed argument starts again?
  7. bottoms. Another year goes by...
  8. Speaking of which, has it been drawn (and if so, where are the results)?
  9. I used to work for Just Eat's sister company.
  10. Producing an ISO is still making a copy. You can't alter a read-only disc.
  11. Note: copying the disc, altering it or patching files are all almost certainly in contravention of your license terms, which are fairly comprehensive.
  12. I haven't actually tried it, but I'm sure PAM can use either samba or kerberos as a back-end for authentication. samba maps Active Directory accounts to existing shadow accounts, whereas kerberos and friends actually use it as a database source. I think. Edit: this may help you, but it is a bit RedHat-oriented. Adapt as required: http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_&_Active_Directory#Windows_2003_R2_Active_Directory
  13. Done. One point: as a school, we have ~100 actual members of staff but with students, nearer 800 - they are users in exactly the same way, so 'employees' is a tricky term for an edu site
  14. Dammit, I missed them any chance you can nab me one of each?
  15. It's priority important, so it will quite cheerfully remove itself if you're silly enough to tell it to. You really shouldn't though. dpkg, dselect and friends are priority required, so you can't remove them (without really telling it to, which it will then cheerfully do. You shouldn't ever do though.)
  16. Well, I missed the last running train and had to wait an hour and half for the next one, dammit. If you're still here I'll be at the stand just before I go home at four, so might see you there.
  17. damn you, virgin trains!
  18. I'm just munching some cereal and then leaving the house, I'll make sure I come by for pizza
  19. I'm passing through New Street in about an hour - what's it like? are most services running reasonably?
  20. Last call?
  21. I quote for thee:
  22. Ask them which piece of legislation inspired that astounding conclusion. 'Legal requirement'
  23. I don't reverse proxy, just reverse NAT and enable SSL enforcement.
  24. If you can find out what the chipset inside is, you'll be able to tell if there is a kernel driver for it or if you will be installing one.
  25. A very expensive one at that.
×
×
  • Create New...