Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

CyberNerd

Members
  • Posts

    9,169
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by CyberNerd

  1. 24% of eligible voters elected this Government. In their 2015 manifesto they said they would convert inadequate and RI schools. Converting all schools wasn't something the tories had pledged. I think it is fair to say there was never popular support for this. The Govt plan is clearly ideological: to pave the way for privatisation and to remove the local authority pay schemes so heads can pay the staff they think are the most deserving. The problem I have with this is that I don't really trust local teachers to behave responsibly: There is little control if heads decide to line their own pockets and employ 'yes wo/men' and not get good results. . I don't think Ofsted look into financials and if Governing bodies are disbanded (many are) then there is too little oversight without LA's.
  2. Samba4 will replicate and replace a windows AD server. https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/LDAP_Backend
  3. It wouldn't hurt to log a case with Google support and see if they come up with anything.
  4. Is it specific to a Chromebook model or a projector model? I've not seen this with Lenovo Chromebooks and various projectors. If you don't get any luck here it might be something the CB/Projector manufacturer can help with, or Google support.
  5. In GAFE staff can elect to receive the email as a digest once per day, immediately, or not at all (and look at the group). Having explain this to SLT I'm not sure they understood the concept and instead elected to punish people for sending too many emails. We now have a system where emails are sent to a central person (admin) who collates them and sends them all twice weekly. I think that if I came in as an independent consultant and recommended the first suggestion they would have gone for it. At least we get to employ someone for a few hours per day to do this.
  6. had loads turn up last week for a news story too
  7. I think the general rule that your lecturers were getting at is to only install what is required on your servers. This will keep the attack avenues at a minimum. I don't think installing JRE itself would be a problem, it's one of the most popular languages ever, and runs much of the internet (tomcat jboss etc). The issue with Java being insecure is really to do with it being used as a browser plugin. So I would say it is safe but don't use your server to browse the interweb.
  8. No, but since you have the mail address already it wouldn't be a huge leap to have the script mail your users if you wanted to!
  9. here are many ways to bulk add things, either using API, scripts or third party tools such as GAM for printers see: https://github.com/jay0lee/GAM/wiki/Managing-CloudPrint-Printers you don't need to builk add the printers if you install it to chrome(book) devices
  10. we used a simple reverse proxy. I'm pretty sure you could install papercut as a secondary server if you wanted.
  11. This is a bit of a faff but I can't see how it would work any other way. We decided to make the papercut server web accessible.
  12. That's good to know! How do the school management at the other MAT's or your sponsor feel about it ? What did the MAT Governors say ?
  13. If you see that again; just go to the user and "restore data" as there is a 30day snapshot of files.
  14. @elsiegee40 would you mind updating that link please; it's not working for me.
  15. What did you think they would say? That the school would make everyone redundant when it closes and you'd apply for your job again in the new school. If they said that then everyone would look for other jobs and they would have no support during the switchover period !
  16. That's not even close to the truth. As a school who've deployed in excess of 1200 Linux Chromebooks I can tell you with a great deal of certainty: 1) Staff and students take to it very easily. We have FEWER user problems and FEWER technical problems than with Windows. 2) Educational software providers are increasingly making sure software is cloud based and platform independent, they like the annual contract model and the ability to expand their growing market using cloud based infrastructures. 3) Chromebook (Linux) are the fastest growing operating system in the world for education. 4) The cost saving benefits extend to the amount of support needed. It is lower. 5) Cloud costs decrease with Moores law, and it is mostly free. I think the management cost for chromebooks is less than £4 per year all in. Honestly though; In IT you either need a niche or you need to diversify. In schools diversity is the only way and statements like "Id rather stack shelves in morisons that go linux." is a good way to guarantee the former.
  17. Oh yes sorry. I've spent too much time searching email!
  18. I don't think that would work because you'd need an admin account to search email accounts, and you'd have to add the authorisation separately to search using the api. Searching a populated and openly shared folder might be a better idea.
  19. Looks like folders mostly https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B0ohdu2dgmsBdTBOX2dJNGZqa00
  20. I checked the permissions are correct (they are) and I did a "diff" against the code you pasted and the Google example - the whitespace problem was the only issue i could see.
  21. Are you sure it's not just the line space causing errors? The example doesn't have a space after "searchfiles": var results = DriveApp.getFolderById('0B0ohdu2dgmsBdTBOX2dJNGZqa00').searchFiles('fullText contains "' + e.parameter.q + '"'); https://sites.google.com/site/scriptsexamples/learn-by-example/other-examples/advanced-search-on-google-sites
  22. You don't get a choice with the free but if you pay (5TB backup is $53.76 or £38 per month) you store in the EU. https://cloud.google.com/pricing/tco/storage-nearline# The Azure is more than twice that cost.
  23. Sounds like a bargain compared to paying nothing using Google ?
  24. I'd say the same about chrome ;-)
  25. I'll wait for after the second recall
×
×
  • Create New...