Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

CyberNerd

Members
  • Posts

    9,169
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by CyberNerd

  1. They can sync to Google Apps calendar too
  2. It looks like it doesn't let anyone at in the school domain add it when they are logged into the browser. If I deploy it to staff/students through the admin console it works fine ?!?
  3. it seems only GAFE domain accounts are affected
  4. The policies are set using GAFE and not in GPO. If I sign into the browser in a non domain account it's fine, if I sign in using a GAFE domain account it doesn't . BUT there is nothing obviously preventing it from being installed. Unless it conflicts with another app - classroom etc?
  5. Yes it definitely an internal problem. Thank you all for helping to diagnose this.
  6. It just won't install - like it has been blocked on our domain but I can see where. The "add to chrome" is greyed for us Thank you for helping. I'll have another look at our settings.
  7. There are 20+ views to this - does anyone get a greyed out box on Chrome ?
  8. Does anyone else see a greyed out box with the Save to Google extension? https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/save-to-google/meoeeoaohbmgbocpdpnjklmfmjjagkkf?hl=en
  9. what model are they?
  10. In GAFE the snapshot file recovery goes back 4 weeks for full file deletion but for 'sabotaged' files you would use the 'restore previous version' which goes back indefinitely. Email is different as it can all be held in vault, indefinitely.
  11. Further to this; it wasn't until 1995 that MS released a native tcp/ip stack - up until then you had you use a third party one. Even with 95 I recall it wasn't a straightforward affair and there were some accusations that it was heavily based on BSD (like apple!). Unixes were mostly using tcp/ip and Novell were the big players then and used ipx/spx anyway. The file sharing (SMB/CIFS) was actually developed by IBM for OS/2 and supposed to run on NetBIOS which I assume is why MS never worried so much about tcp/ip. So it all goes to show that MS's venture into the cloud isn't something we have to be too afraid of, technology shifts all the time and if they don't follow (Google/Amazon) they will become irrelevant.
  12. I think the argument is about learning linux admin skills, not for end users - end users tend not to have a problem it's windows power users/admins who find it difficult because they need to access the more complicated features that are not always bundled in a gui. Anyway it shouldn't mater what OS the user is accessing as long as the apps run cloudbased, the OS should be neutral.
  13. Linux is nowhere near a niche operating system. it runs the majority of the worlds user devices (smartphones), all of the worlds supercomputers and most of the worlds big player cloud systems (amazon,ebay,facebook,google etc etc). What linux doesn't have is much marketshare in the desktop world. Much of what the guys at MS were saying is that it is govt policy, and MS's policy to move away from old style desktop systems and use cloud apps. Clearly MS want to move desktop and phone/tablet users to their cloud to reflect how the industry is changing.
  14. yeah. this was a year ago: Conclusion - A Guide To Professional Video Editing Software MS are not looking backwards, neither should you.
  15. £1000 more than we pay and we have 2000 licenses (of GAFE). Plus we get to use chromebooks and linux. The same model Lenovo Yoga windows machine is £80 more expensive than the chromebook - multiply that by 2000 staff/students and windows will cost us costs us another £160,000. That doesn't even take into account the licensing costs of windows/cals or the £3k that you quoted, or even the extra manpower maintaining that sort of infrastructure. £1.50 per user per year is a terrible deal if you take into account the total cost of ownership.
  16. yes, deep within the burying bad news over the local/mayoral elections, I heard (radio) that if a LA is performing badly they will still MAT the schools no matter how good/outstanding they are.
  17. The councils licensing isn't your problem - it's up to the council to provide the licenses. It's the same with the capita service, if they provide access but they don't have a license it is their problem and not yours. If I set up an internet service to provide Office over RDP on the internet with an external connector TS license who would MS come after ? it wouldn't be my customers.
  18. Like Google apps? Works for us.
  19. I bet the Govt. will add extra money for MAT's with the funding review to 'encourage' them.
  20. Do you happen to know how much extra funding MAT's get to pay for the extra level of management etc? I worry that the trust is compelled to spend more on the RI/Good schools at the expense of the Good/Outstanding ones in the chain.
  21. "docker run" works on windows too and scales infinitely in Google Cloud.
  22. I thinks MS's strongest message is to get rid of Office, Exchange and Sharepoint locally right now. Education providers are terrible at getting their technology uptodate. Too many amateur programmers in edu. At the same time I don't think us NM's have exactly been at the forefront of tech (I recall everyone on edugeek shouting about how providers don't provide MSI's, at the same time I was saying a webapp is MUCH easier to deploy). in short, I don't see why you can't put everything in Azure if you wanted and just give users an internet connection - it works extremely well for Google.
  23. Rather than fire up a new server for each application, fire up a new container for each app. As the app is used then more containers are created automatically and you pay for what you use. I would bet that your 22 servers are being used like 1% of the time and much of that just running the O/S - not a great use of resources. The problem is that schools still run big, monolithic applications but the rest of the IT world is moving on from this. MS (successfully) moved apps from DOS to .NET and the new apps will be container based. Look at how Google,Amazon,ebay work. For the current set of old style apps we are still a bit stuck - but MS can only push developers by saying how many customers are using their new platforms. Google Compute Engine uses DataCentre licenses, presumably Azure does too.
  24. My understanding is its not as thorough as libx265. Really looking for speed to rip through a bunch of videos otherwise it would be VP9 all the way. Still I don't think if I turned the VP9/libx265 settings down to an 1/8 of NVENC it would be 8 times worse quality ?
  25. The distributed computing method sounds nice, my preferred method is now offloading the hardware encoding to nvenc and have the NVidia card take the load: Faster H.265/HEVC Video Encoding with Nvidia GTX960 GPU and ffmpeg I swear it was about 8 times faster than a skylake i5. It works pretty well on the CLI if you use the same settings each time and don't need to keep looking them up ( can Handbrake / Ripbot be told where to find the FFMPEG???) I just wish Chrome would actually play h.265! VP9 seems to be in everything except hardware encoders!
×
×
  • Create New...