-
Posts
952 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Jake
-
Sounds good, had a sneaky feeling that our LEA was trying to spin us yet another yarn.
-
We are soon thinking of implementing VLE, and just wondered what everyone was using. I setup a debian server a few weeks ago ready for a VLE. Something that I can authenticate via AD would be nice. Moodle up to the job? On the subject of Moodle, a while ago our LEA mentioned that all the local schools in the area would be expected to implement a learning platform system during this year. Naturally the LEA said that they would be providing (for a cost) a system if so wanted. The LEA then told us that Moodle would not meet the standards required for the VLE, and so we shouldnt use it. It should be noted that in the past , our LEA has told us that certain things that we have implemented are not allowed and that we should use their offered solutions instead (for a cost of course). On a few cases they told us that BECTA or the DFES had said that things we had implemented were not allowed. Upon phoning BECTA/DFES though, it had turned out the LEA simply wasnt telling the truth. Perhaps just a scaremonger tactic to get us to "buy" their options instead of using our own. Hence of course, we view their statement regarding moodle with an air of skeptism, particularly in light of their own solution being offered (for a cost) Just wondered if any of you had heard anything about moodle not being up to scratch for a VLE
-
I do my best to not do anything beyond my normal hours, if I do actually do anything extra, its usually research. At most, I would say 2-3 hours a week. I think looking back over the last 8 or so years, I have progressively done less and less work in my own time. 8 years ago, I was doing alot of work in my own hours, and staying past hours at work. These days, 99.9% of the time I leave bang on time, and dont often do much in my own time thats related to work. Thats my gaming time !! At least until my kid is born in 2 weeks..then I guess even that will go heh
-
Looks like a great package, would be very interested in a demo too
-
Oooh..now this looks like it could be a laugh. Will definately watch the first episode
-
Looks pretty decent, what cameras do you have with that?
-
Indeed we have, we actually made some headway back in Oct/nov when the head agreed to have a temp tech for a while. However that only lasted for 4 weeks, and throughout the period the head repeatedly asked "Can I let him go yet" and at one point "how much longer do I have to keep paying for him" To be fair to the staff here, its something that seems to lie with the head, all of the staff and indeed SMT think we should have additional hands, but not the Head. Still, the fact that we had the temp for a while bodes well, and as you correctly say, as long as we remain professional and present good evidence its only a matter of time.
-
Yeah, thats essentially what we have done for the last few months. We have offered lists before, with timeframes included. So far our words have not granted us another tech. Could just be that the head believes we are making things out to be overcomplicated just so we can get a new buddy
-
During the summer break we kitted out a new suite, 28pcs, DVD/Video Combo, Amp, Speakers, Smartboard, Projector, power points, cabinet, switches, cabling (we did the cabling ourselves as we dont use outside contractors for cabling). At home now, so I cant look up how much it cost us all, but will look it up tomorrow and let you know
-
Not a bad Idea, we have done a few lists over the last few months, can throw them onto the Wiki (of course, the timescales are a little exaggerated in places....never harms to let them think a task will take longer than it actually will ) I will continue looking for this "official" timescale thing that I saw. It was something by Becta, or Ofsted , or someone official like that, so fairly useful for making a point to the SMT
-
Yeah, have done lists of current outstanding jobs with estimated timescales on them. Just wanted something thats more "official" than me Well, we havent been ofsted'ed since 1999, and sadly most of the content of that report is either not relevant anymore or has already been implemented. We are due another ofsted soon though.
-
Anyone know where I can get a list of estimated times to perform various tasks?? I remember seeing something like it on the Becta site several months ago, but cant find it anymore. Basically what I am after is something that shows the rough estimates of how long it should take to do things, everything from changing a mouse to configuring and integrating a new server etc. Reason why I want it is because we are attempting to convince the head that we could really use another technician, be it part time or full time. We have seperate admin/curriculum networks, 400+ pcs, half dozen or so servers and 60 laptops with a further 32 laptops being implemented shortly. The head is determined that we dont need another tech, and today exclaimed that we have no need of one as we arent busy (yes you got it, the old "they sit around doing nothing" type of underlying belief). With the 2 of us, there is often a backlog of jobs needing doing, and this is the case at the moment, as we are currently merging some of our old servers into new ones, implementing Liberum, a moodle style system and of course the normal day to day stuff. Something like this would be handy to show the Head just how long tasks "should" take us. Doubt it will change her mind at all about getting a third pair of hands, but at least its something more weighty than just spoken words.
-
lol, Maelstrom server, on the US servers. One of those RP-PvP ones. Nah, I'm not in that group Every class has a place and role. Even the much maligned Paladins ! At the moment I have a bevy of characters on this "new" server. Used to play on Bleeding Hollow server (US again), had 3 level 60s on that server. Rogue, Warrior, Priest (all horde). On Maelstrom though, I decided to go alliance, and currently have a 47 hunter, 46 warrior, 32 warlock, 32 priest, 31 druid and 16 rogue What can I say , I'm an altoholic !
-
If you're as old as I am, you might LOVE this!
Jake replied to ajbritton's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
SOOO many great games in there...Lords of Midnight...Ant Attack...ahhh, the memories -
Mmorpgs are my thing really. Spent 4 years in Ultima Online (1997-2001), before moving on to Dark Ages of Camelot for a couple of years, then a very brief spell in Star Wars Galaxies, before finally getting accepted into the World of Warcraft US beta. Once I was into that beta I knew I would buy it, so when it released in the US on Nov 23rd 2004, I had a friend send me a copy, and started playing immediately. Still playing that. Still loving it.
-
LOL, no ironically I never did find what I was looking for on the Becta site. It was more info on the KS3 online testing, thankfully I found what I was looking for elsewhere in the end We will be adding our pics as soon as the room is slightly more tidy than it currently is. Which as you all know in our profession should be some time in the next millenium
- 4,290 replies
-
- assistance
- background
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
Kind of convoluted, but I was looking for something on the Becta site, which led me through to TES, and then to this site. After a quick read of a few threads here I immediately told Disease that it looked like a promising site which we should both read through and sign up for. (to be honest, it was the office photos which swayed it )
- 4,290 replies
-
- assistance
- background
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
I wanted a pair of Magical Trevor underpants, or a Toast King thong As it is, I will have to settle for the imminent birth of my first child in 3 weeks time. Not too shabby I suppose
-
Speaking of the "2" of us. Good day all ! I am the other person in the "2" of us that Disease talks of We found out about this site yesterday, very impressed. Great resource for info and steam-letting-off
- 4,290 replies
-
- assistance
- background
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
