-
Posts
200 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by ascott2
-
I have a G1, and am a member of eduGEEK. A geek and proud!
-
I think it meant if you didn't have a tissue that it is better than on your hands. My interpretation of that statement anyway.
-
If your enterprise manager is up to date it should delete conficker straight away. That might be why the standalone isn't finding it?
-
Thankfully our issue was long before conficker or the exploit was known, so that didn't cause it?
-
WHO has classed this as phase 4 of the pandemic level. Their site clearly explains what that means. Phase 4 is characterized by verified human-to-human transmission of an animal or human-animal influenza reassortant virus able to cause “community-level outbreaks.” The ability to cause sustained disease outbreaks in a community marks a significant upwards shift in the risk for a pandemic.
-
These machines have been reimaged more than once and still did it, up until SP3 was installed. Yet other (same build) machines don't and have never done it. It is a services issue, did once have a suggestion from another forum that it was the messenger service preventing the correct startup and their advice was to update to SP3.
-
That small percentage doesn't seem so insignificant if you or your family are one of them!
-
I actually have a program I wrote which runs through all of the active directory machines and any services that should be automatic but are stopped it fires them all off manually. It was wrote for a different purpose but works for this. It's more of a bandage than cure though!
-
Sophos is great when it works. I personally don't have a problem with it, but know quite a few that have had problems or simply don't like it. It has done me well so far(touch wood )
-
Those with a pandemic potential can, like swine flu!
-
We have had the same problems but on random workstations running xp. Same services, workstation, server and those that rely on them. We managed to fix those on XP by patching them and updating them to SP3 but on the servers Im not sure. Interestingly, we have used Sophos, I wonder if that is the root of the issue?
-
I haven't teste this yet but, as far as I am aware, if you do not want this to happen you can enable in group policy to bypass the Recycle bin and delete files. This will disable the RECYCLER folder being created in the first place. User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components >Windows Explorer > Do not move deleted files to the Recycle Bin
-
Alot of people don't take this seriously enough in my opinion. It is a well know fact the flu viruses mix and is why we get new strains, at the moment this H1 strain doesn't seem to be too deadly(in comparison to previous pandemics ie 1918) but it does seem to transmit reasonably quickly, 10 countries confirmed already. If this virus were to reach somewhere like south east Asia and mix with their known strains of H5 flu, which is deadly, there could be a real issue on our hands! That is obviously worst case scenario!
-
We had just found the same issue here a couple of days ago when we moved the home folders to a new server. The reason why it has worked for us up until now is that the net use /home command looks at the local path in NT User Account or AD and that is why still sets it. It should be Connect To: or just redirected My Documents as mentioned previously.
-
Most of the trolling is done by good old fanboi's that actually don't have a clue about what they are talking about. Viruses, malware etc will always be proportionate to market share, why bother going to the trouble of writing a virus which will only infect the a minority, that defeats the point i.e. maximum exposure, maximum damage, maximum profit. As long as Windows is the dominant OS it will be the target for virus writers.
-
2x Dell Poweredge Servers( 1 running windows server 2008, 1 on Ubuntu) 1x Acer Laptop (Vista) 1x Toshiba Latptop (Ubuntu) 1x Elonex Webbook(XP) 1x PC (Windows XP) 1x Blackberry ( was connected via BES until O2 cut my connection saying I have to pay for business contract! ) 1x G1 (android) 24 port switch 2x Wireless AP's one internal, one internet + 2 VLANs 1x Orange Mobile Broadband thing PS3 PSP Wii 1x Nas Box 500GB And one permanently open SSH connection to my hosted virtual server. Think that's it!
-
Yes to get free access, or pay for it with a credit card.
-
Yeah I noticed this morning, this only works if you have admin rights on the machine, and on the .NET 3. As I said, it was knocked up very quickly.
-
I am opted in. It is a completely separate VLAN which gives around 512kb of your '8Mb' speeds. I don't know if this is realtional to your actual speeds but your own traffic does get priority. So my house now broadcasts as BT Openzone as well as my own private "secure" wireless. Handy if you're out and about as you can use others for free, if you are opted in. BTW I have noticed, since joining BT Vision my speed has miraculously increased to near on 8Mb. Previously getting 4-6 on a good day. Just an observation
-
To get out of the app make sure it is still in focus and press F12, that's what will bring up Mr T. try it out first as it was quick make! AprilFools.zip
-
We've done the old turn the wallpaper upsidedown, but the best prank is the Conficker app I made, which we put in startup of the NM. He thought it was real, come running into our office, his face was priceless. We had to show him the picture of Mr T to prove it was a hoax, he was on the phone to EIS to report it!
-
Im IT Tech, Media Tech and sound and lighting(A/V Tech). Most of the A/V stuff is pretty trivial, unless it is to do with the stage production etc in the main hall, like me, then its a whole new ball game! Sound desks, Mixers, lighting desks all pretty interesting stuff but can take a while to get your head around. The best part for me is I have a team of sound and light prefects which I manage and they all enjoy putting on the shows, charity performance plus it looks good on their UCAS apparantly? All in all it has given me a new set of skills and widened my capabilities which is very handy in the current climate!
-
We use Joomla here as digtal signage, our other tech set it up. Much nicer than our boring old static HTML one. There are plenty of modules that are helpful, but the best thing is once it is set up all you have to do is add articles and an expiry date nothing else!
-
Funny I was actually looking at doing this as my first SQL / C# windows app today, then read this! If I actually manage to get it sorted I'll post the code.
-
Has anyone used ophcrack on a server?
ascott2 replied to dolmandj's topic in Network and Classroom Management
In which case I suggest Cain, it recover MS passwords as well as a number of other things. Have used it many times on XP, apparantly works well on 2003 as well.
