Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Michael

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    12,849
  • Joined

Everything posted by Michael

  1. So with BT acting as the 'hub' something like this. Would this mean you could still apply filtering centrally from one of the end points?
  2. Site to Site VPN is course another option, or indeed a Private Circuit so you can have Site > Exchange > Exchange > Site, which would (by logic) get over the 28 Miles limit.
  3. Point to Point for numerous reasons - the synchronisation of data (for backup purposes), but also the centralisation of Filtering/Safe Guarding etc.. across the whole organisation. I don't know if you can have Point to Point via an Exchange(s) or can you? I guess the end result wouldn't be any different.
  4. Hello all, Been looking into Point to Point solutions for a client, however all major providers all have a limit of 28 Miles or 25KM. So the question is simple - hypothetically speaking, I have an Office based in London and an Office based in Birmingham which are 100 Miles apart, how can the two networks be linked together? Anything within 28 Miles seems straight forward, but anything beyond this isn't. How are the likes of Banks and large Corporations doing it? Many thanks!
  5. I have Windows 10 Edu running on over a 1000 devices I proactively manage (different sites) with no significant issues. I presume those 'thinking' of deploying it are looking at Redstone 1, which should be due any day now.
  6. If you repair/re-install Classic Shell does the issue go away?
  7. Error 0x80070003 is a possible date/time issue.
  8. It's a bit like some NVRs (Network Video Recorders), which have the cameras on their own range 192.168.254.xx, instead of your normal internal range 192.168.0.xx. Typically you can then only talk to the NVR directly, rather than the cameras. Likewise, you can only talk to the SAN via your Windows Server, not your SAN directly, whereas you can talk to a NAS directly as it's on the same range (normally).
  9. $26,000,000,000,000 - I bet whoever is the majority share holder is having a good day. I'd be selling right now... give it 12 months and Microsoft will probably lose faith in it and close it. Satya Nadella, if you're on Edugeek, please tell us why you think its worth this much!
  10. When you open Group Policy Management, towards the bottom of your structure, the 'Group Policy Objects' container, includes all Group Policies in your domain. You can only import from within here. Hope this makes sense!
  11. I suppose in the context of Nokia, it wasn't just technologies or the brand, but also the likes of patents which can of course be very lucrative. All the major tech companies globally use patents to extract cash out of each other. In terms of LinkedIn... I'm not entirely sure what it is that Microsoft values at $26 Billion. They can give it to me if they need to 'spend some cash for tax purposes'.
  12. A NAS is an independent server, accessible over the network (Ethernet). A SAN is an extension of your server's own storage, connected to the server itself externally. That's all there is to it. So for example, your server may only have 2TB, but you could add a 12TB SAN as a separate volume without having to 'mess' considerably with your server. NASes are accessed typically by mapping a network drive, so you drag/drop files as you would normally.
  13. I know, they've done a great job with Nokia I also am struggling to see why it's worth the price tag they've paid!?
  14. Not a big concern at the moment, but when we have hundreds of cores in processors in future this model will probably become unworkable!
  15. No problems here this morning logging into several portals.
  16. It should be a 'Approve as you Go' type of approach, putting you in full control what's deployed to workstations.
  17. Dropbox? Not exactly automatic but you could script it.
  18. It already exists, such as .bham.sch.uk unless I mis-understood the question!
  19. Using different domain extensions makes sense, otherwise you'll end up with stupidlylongschooldomainname.sch.uk which doesn't help anyone!
  20. Yes I've used .academy loads - it's much easier than .bham.sch.uk for example (especially when quoting over the phone).
  21. You need to enable: User config > Admin Templates > Start Menu and Taskbar - Remove common program groups from Start Menu and Remove All Programs list from the Start menu
  22. You can optionally keep the Search Bar within Classic Shell, but my templates disable this. - - - Updated - - - You simply use Folder Redirection for the Start Menu (within Active Directory) and Classic Shell will populate shortcuts, just as Windows 7 did/does.
  23. Windows 10 should behave like previous OSes (at least in my experience), promoting your PDC to a real time server outside. As others have stated however, an aggressive firewall would/could block NTP port 123.
  24. Unless you're running a standalone configuration, I can't see why you wouldn't run Sysprep either. Joining 100 devices manually to a domain - no thanks!
  25. In Settings > Mail, Contacts Calendars, add your own native O365 account. Name this account 'Your account' for example. Now repeat the process and add the account the shared Calendar belongs to. Towards the end of setup, swipe everything off apart from the Calendar option. Name this account 'Shared Calendar' for example. Now when you go to the built in Calendars App, you'll see your own Calendar, but also the Shared one.
×
×
  • Create New...