Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Michael

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    12,849
  • Joined

Everything posted by Michael

  1. That's difficult to answer, but in summary users should have Full Control of their home directories (as a starting point). Typically I specify the FQDN, so a path would read \\server.fqdn\share$ (for Documents), then: \\server.fqdn\share$\Favorites \\server.fqdn\share$\Downloads \\server.fqdn\share$\Contacts etc... Desktop Redirection - end users should only have read access - \\server.fqdn\icons\desktop
  2. The linked article is to much older versions of MS Office and not the latest Office 2016. I redirect all folders without issue, admittedly not to Netlogon and I'd advise against this.
  3. You can't using IE, but you can using Chrome apparently. Have yet to test this myself.
  4. I'd stick with 1607 LTSB - have done for some time now and problems have gone right down!
  5. Intelligent Provisioning is the way to go - I use an ISO emulator (essentially an external hard drive with additional options). It needs to be formatted as NTFS + MBR. Normally you select the OS from the list, which then installs the correct drivers with your nominated ISO file. Presumably Windows 10 can see the USB Stick and the ISO?
  6. If you're using the HP Install Assistant, you shouldn't run into any problems. When prompted you supply the Server 2016 ISO and the wizard should do the rest. It sounds to me as if you're trying to do the install manually (which you can), but it's much better to do it the wizard way.
  7. I guess if you had 3000 students and 17 e-mails were sent per month, you would be sending 51,000 e-mails. I guess it also depends what other components you're using of the MIS. What I'm unclear about however is I specify O365's mail relay: outlook.office365.com so I can't see why they'd need to be any upper limit. It should be unlimited (within reason)!
  8. If what you're doing is all cloud based, it should work outside of school or tethered to your phone (for example). It could be ports 465 and 587 are being blocked by the firewall, unless you request them to be unblocked.
  9. What about if you specify either - smtp.gmail.com if using SSL on port 465 or smtp.gmail.com if using TLS on port 587
  10. smtp.bgfl.org still uses port 25 to the best of my knowledge. You should be able to put a genuine G-Suite username/password in there still.
  11. This is the problem with the OneDrive client; caching on the local volume in an Enterprise environment (for many users) doesn't work, but I've been lead to believe the latest OneDrive client doesn't cache anything locally (from what I've read)?
  12. I can't really see an easy way around this, as Excel applies formulas to the same columns and rows. If the data could be organised consistently, then it should be straight forward. From my perspective I'm thinking why you'd have 5, 4 or 3 values in some rows and not others.
  13. Another aspect to check is the switch(es) status of where the fibre's patched in. If you know it, you can also try pinging the switch (at the other end using the ping 192.168.1.1 -t command), so it'll be pretty clear if the link is consistently off or intermittent.
  14. Storage Spaces is essentially distributed software RAID, with copies held on multiple servers. It's an alternative to software or hardware RAID, I wouldn't say it's a replacement.
  15. This is what I use - function FindProxyForURL(url, host) { var ip = myIpAddress(); var debug = ""; if(debug) { alert("proxy.pac IP=" + ip + " HOST=" + host + " URL=" + url); } // All client PCs on the internal network will have a 10.x address, check if I have this if (shExpMatch(ip, "10.*")) { if(debug) { alert("Proxy for " + url); } return "PROXY eduproxy.bgfl.org:80"; } // If you have a different IP then this isn't the School network else { if(debug) { alert("You are not at School so going direct for " + url); } return "DIRECT"; } }
  16. You can re-enable the Windows Photo Viewer in LTSB and I do exactly this using a GPP.
  17. I'm not sure about a sound warning, but if you purchase an iLO4 Advanced License, you can setup e-mail notifications.
  18. I think teething problems are an understatement. My workload has pretty much doubled thanks to this migration! I think enforcing SSL inspection is a long way off, given that without it connectivity is unstable and the amount of caching related issues has gone through the roof. I've been forced to send out a user guide, guiding users on how to delete their browser cache.
  19. So do these boards utilise both VGA and USB connectivity? And if so, if you disconnect the USB cable as a test and wait 30 minutes, does it all still switch off?
  20. Try downgrading the LAN driver in Device Manager.
  21. Edge is still a long way being 'Enterprise ready'. I install Chrome and users can use IE too. I set IE as the default browser using the 'default associations configuration file' GPO and it works well.
  22. Well I know there's a few versions of the Mini MegaDrive or Genesis, but I don't believe a Mini Dreamcast is in the works.
  23. I guess for me it was the first true 3D console available to the masses, but it's each to their own!
  24. I know this is just an example of what can be achieved, but it's still a slap in the face to those on less than 10Mb/s for example. Technology and speed are only part of the issue. It costs lots of ££££ to remove the old copper infrastructure and install fibre. I was under the impression BT and others were now pushing for G.fast, capable of 100Mb/s or more on existing copper/fibre to the cab setups. Dare I say it, I think fibre to the premises (for many) is still a 'pipe' dream
  25. I believe an N64 Mini is in the making too - I still have an original US N64 with all the major classics, including the likes of Goldeneye! I used to live on that game at the time.
×
×
  • Create New...