Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Michael

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    12,849
  • Joined

Everything posted by Michael

  1. I think the issue is all down to interpretation or definition. Even if that's correct and the Hyper-V touches bear metal, it still requires the OS installed to install the role. It's all very complicated.
  2. Type 1 is like a lightweight OS, directly on hardware Type 2 runs as a software layer, like other applications Hyper-V is a Type 2, regardless if it's Windows 10 or Server 2016/2019
  3. Gen 1 = BIOS Gen 2 = UEFI UEFI should be your choice for new VMs, unless you're migrating something over or you're running a legacy OS (such as Windows 95).
  4. I've had Hector running for years on Windows 10 LTSB. Top of my head I just install the application, then create a registry entry - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run "Hector"=""C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Hector's World\\Hector\\Hector.exe""
  5. This article suggests TLS 1.2 is enabled (as I'd expect). I'd suggest installing a new non-domain attached install to observe settings, then manually join the domain. By default it'll be in 'Computers', but then you can move it to another OU and observe whether it is GPOs which are (for whatever reason) disabling TLS 1.2.
  6. I've setup both - AD > Azure/O365 > G Suite Use O365 primarily for MS Exchange and G Suite for the likes of Drive and Classroom. Drive in my opinion is much easier to use than SharePoint/OneDrive and of course integrates with Classroom. Many Interactive Panels also run on Android, so you can sign into Google services this way too. Other advantages are that you can sign into other services using SSO with either provider. In terms of the MX issue, I created a guide here on Edugeek.
  7. Windows 10 builds 1903, 1909 and most likely 2004 (I haven't even tested) are just awful. The amount of issues users experience and the amount of issues I read online. To cut a long story short, I recently imaged a number to 1607 (LTSB) and magically issues just disappear.
  8. Everything appears OK now, be it slow using OWA. I've been able to receive emails on my Android the whole time though. Amazingly it was very quiet this morning
  9. I can't explain why it was an hour out, but so long as you have a reliable time server you shouldn't run into any issues. Just keep an eye on your nominated time server internally for the next few days. I'd also suggest configuring the GPO, as you may run into logon issues if your clients are more than 5 mins out. The GPO method is normally pretty quick, but in saying that I tweak it down from the default 90 mins to less than 10 mins in the context of Education.
  10. You need to run a command such as the below on your Primary Domain Controller and/or your Hyper-V host: @echo off net stop w32time w32tm /config /syncfromflags:manual /manualpeerlist:pool.ntp.org w32tm /config /reliable:yes net start w32time w32tm /query /peers PAUSE On your workstations, configure the GPO - Computer Config > Admin Templates > System > Windows Time Service > Time Providers Configure Windows NTP Client - Enabled - 192.168.1.20,0x9 Type: NT5DS (Replace with your IP) Enable Windows NTP Client - Enabled
  11. Version 6.0.23's out now. Anyone tested this?
  12. Use the best of both SSO all the way.
  13. I adopt the same format [email protected] and likewise apply Exchange Rules which deletes all mail sent externally, other than domains added on an exception list. We have to remember Primary pupils are learning the concept of usernames, passwords and ownership of these accounts. The least we can do is make it easy and keep their accounts clean and relevant. In Active Directory, I do specify their first and last names. Firstly we can identify them from an administrative perspective, but also from a Safeguarding perspective is something's flagged.
  14. With G Suite you can use Google File Stream/Google Drive which is free.
  15. As far as I'm aware Silverlight's IE only, but Silverlight itself has now been discontinued (as far as I'm aware too).
  16. It sounds like an issue on the Windows domain itself then, presuming the iPad's connecting to the school WiFi and not over 4G?
  17. As the member of staff stated though - little guidance from the LA and it would have been better to be told of the expected behaviour.
  18. So I've had a response and in summary this is the expected behaviour. The only solution is to close your browser, re-sign into O365 and then generate/request another one time passcode.
  19. Your only viable solution is a fibre lease line. Once it's installed, you can increase the speed based on need and the school's ability to pay. You also have to consider what a school would be like without any broadband at all. Lease lines are backed up with excellent SLAs. Based on your numbers, a 30/30 or 50/50 connection will feel considerably faster than 25/5.
  20. What are the differences between OME1 and OME2?
  21. So how do you provision users in G Suite? Do the pupil accounts still work outside school post September? Have you tried Internet Explorer or Edge for the purpose of testing? And have you tried tethering a school device to your phone, so it bypasses school filtering and firewall?
  22. When clicking the blue button, it loads as a separate tab in the browser and a passcode is sent in a separate email. I then retrieve the passcode and enter it as required. The email then pops up as a separate window altogether, so it's definitely not being just previewed. The behaviour doesn't quite match, which is why I'm wondering whether it's something the LA need to tweak, given they're the source of the emails.
  23. This is the behaviour I'd expect, but clicking the blue button a second time, the user's presented with an authentication error and can no longer view the email.
  24. So my question's still unexplained - why can they view the OME email once and not then view it thereafter if they close down their browser (for example)?
  25. The school are using Office 365 and the LA are using Office 365 (performing an MX lookup). Separate tenancies however (as you'd expect). - - - Updated - - - I've asked myself the same question!
×
×
  • Create New...