Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

TronXP

Members
  • Posts

    689
  • Joined

Everything posted by TronXP

  1. Keep the Chromebooks and spend money on staff training and resources that help you use the Chromebooks effectively. We are transitioning from BYOD with mainly kids using tablets\phones to Chromebooks and its more than obvious that the kids like them and want to use them but it is the Staff holding them back.
  2. Wow, thats slow.... Not a smoothwall customer but my guess is to do with SSL inspection
  3. Our old Kyocera Photocopiers used to do the same thing, we also used to get weird things with kyocera printers once installed onto print server. Some wouldn't print multiple copies, some if you told it to print page 3-4 would either print the whole document or just not bother. We have since moved to Konica Minolta photocopiers and have had no issues, and most of the printers have been replaced by HP and all are behaving. I think the Kyocera drivers when used with a print server are just not up to the task.
  4. It is down to the wording... with all the auditing in the world you still have access to them files, ok you are traceable but you still have access to the files. Same with team drive, in the admin panel you can give yourself full access to any drive as an admin. ("Please note, that in order to comply with the law, there should be no one person in your organisation with full access to all files and even your network administrator should have restricted access") So assuming audting is fine, the rest of the wording seems to me to say, for day to day work I should have a non google admin account. Only then logging into my admin account if I require to do an administrative task.
  5. Your using Google, so do you have a non admin account for everyday work? then an admin account for admin functions and swap when needed?
  6. Thanks for the replies so far! So for example we delegate changing password to our "normal" account is that ok? or is that an administrative job that should only be done with admin account?
  7. My bursar has passed me a list of things I need to do to comply, one of them: "Please note, that in order to comply with the law, there should be no one person in your organisation with full access to all files and even your network administrator should have restricted access. In fact, it is recommended that the network administrator’s normal user account and his/her account with administrator privileges should be separated and only used when appropriate. This makes auditing and control of administrator actions" I can understand that you have two accounts, a normal day account and an admin account to do admin tasks this has been around for years. My main concern (or maybe misinterpretation) Is that no one person can have full access, does this mean that domain admin accounts can no longer be used, backup accounts?? I mean even if I removed access to a set of files for myself, I still have to manage the backups.... therefore in theory I still have access to these files?
  8. Do you guys use Security Certificates? If so Apple introduced a new a new Option in Settings>General>About>Certificate Trust Settings You have to make sure the root certificate is enabled as well as installed...
  9. TronXP

    Edge home page

    Maybe you need to update, I have it in user configuration.
  10. TronXP

    Edge home page

    The question was can you change it with GPO... so the answer is yes you can change it with GPO, You can do this in user configuration rather than Computer configuration.
  11. TronXP

    Edge home page

    Policies > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Microsoft Edge > Configure Home Pages
  12. Hi, we too have moved onto Fortinet UTM from Lightspeed, Its been a steep learning curve but I think we are getting there.
  13. You will need to ask BT to setup a reverse DNS record for your mail server, otherwise you will get a lot of rejected emails when you send out.
  14. I will not be at BETT, so not possible for any meetings there.
  15. Our Lightspeed renewal is coming up and I am wondering what other filtering systems people are using and would recommend.
  16. TronXP

    GADS

    Does anybody have a good guide for setting up GADS? I did have this running fine, but I seem to have lost my xml file that was setup, and now whatever I do I can't seem to get the excludes working correctly. Thanks
  17. We use the Ubiquiti NanoBeam AC, seem good value for money. We have 2 links and we get around 200MB throughput and thats with our hamfisted installation. I am sure you could get better with some tweaking
  18. For me it is below the "Security" section and above "Normally allowed Categories".
  19. Lightspeed has a category called violence.extremism: Then you can create a custom report on this subject. Set it as a scheduled report and you can get an email everyday with the report. I did ask to make it possible to customize what they class as "suspicious Search Queries" but have not got anything back on the subject.
  20. Simply PC was the pc division of Systemax. My first home PC was made by them and was a very reliable. When I started my first IT job there was a few of them dotted around. Although Systemax seem to exist still the simply PC division does not.
  21. We have on average 400 devices a day mainly BYOD, Works fine here, it's still not perfect for roaming between access points but it really depends on what your doing. In our situation it works perfectly for a good price.
  22. To jump on the bandwagon, it would be nice to see the PS script to do this.
  23. It is inline, and only decrypting google in proxy mode via pac file.
  24. We are currently using Lightspeed filtering, when I blocked webpage is accessed using https, there is no web filter page that says "blocked" like on a http site, simply that the site can't be connected to. I was sure when we were bloxx, that it would still show the blocked page even on https sites. Could anybody with Bloxx, Smoothwall etc confirm if when you access blocked https sites that your schools block page is shown. Lightspeed seem to make out, this is not technologically possible.
×
×
  • Create New...