Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

TronXP

Members
  • Posts

    689
  • Joined

Everything posted by TronXP

  1. We try to support both IE and Chrome on our system.
  2. Do you use vlan's? The Aruba S2500's look very much like the Juniper EX3300's that I use.
  3. Which is the point I have been trying to get across, what was the support company asked to do..... I am not saying what is the correct thing to do, but if the company has done what was asked.
  4. It was not stated that they were expecting a migration, simply stated that GPO etc were a bit of a mess... well bit of a mess doesn't mean you need a new OS, just that the GPO/AD etc needed to be looked at and problems addressed, as I have said before nothing has been stated what instructions the support company were giving by the school. *maybe next time my gpo's don't work I will format my domain and reinstall it with the newest version*
  5. Costs.... They probably gave this as an option to the school and it was turned down on financial grounds. I have seen many primary's especially supported from LA's be very much underfunded in IT compared to secondary schools. We should really not bash anybody in IT support without the FULL facts of why a decision has been made. On a positive you have a new server which can handle virtualization. If your support contract allows you to upgrade the domain etc within the financial constraints of the contract then you can do it much more easily.
  6. It is common to virtualise old servers onto new hardware as you say and my guess would be it comes down to what the school asked/where willing to pay the support company to do. The time and therefore the cost of updating all of active directory etc probably looked a lot more money then simply sticking there old server virtualised onto new hardware.
  7. Seems a lot! We were thinking of moving from facility later in the year :S dont think anybody has factored this into it as yet.
  8. Lapsafe these you can buy modules with DC power for what ever laptops you have.
  9. On that forum it says you may have 1 large relay that does both or two smaller ones that does each side.
  10. Basically it could be a faulty relay
  11. First of all is the person who set this up orignally still there? Because they might be able to give you information on how things work. Second I would either contact ncomputing or a company who supports ncomputing and get there advice on why youtube is not working on there systems correctly. This will give you somehting to work on, it may just be the backbone is not fast enough but they should be able to give you pointers. For me the nest thing is the server 2003, you probably want to upgrade these as soon as possible, I am not sure if 2003 is supported still if it is, then surely not for much longer.
  12. We have it running on a virtual server 2012, so far so good no problems.
  13. IBM all the way for me, used them for the last 8 years, we dabbled with 1 HP server but went straight back to IBM. I've had the HP engineer out more times for our HP server than the rest of our IBM ones put together.
  14. Apparently 4Gon website is incorect and they have non.....
  15. Is anybody else having difficulties obtaining these at the moment? I am after some and don't seem to be able to source them.
  16. Our archive department want to create scan in all there archive material and make it available to the alumni via the web. Has anybody done this? what software have you used to do this and any recommendations for an A3 scanner for them to scan in both documents and pictures?
  17. You say you don't want to "bandy" them around the internet, but as soon as the kids have them they will be all over facebook, twitter etc. We have a album module on our VLE and just stick them in there.
  18. The actual question was about replacing the textbook and not the exercise book or the pen or pencil, people on that site seem to have gone off on a tangent. The way I look at it is, the textbook is a way of finding and learning information, the same can be said for any internet enabled device. At your finger tips you have the most powerful informational tool with access to information from all kinds of sources much much more than one textbook is able to provide. You then have to balance this with the fact you need to understand that not all sources can be trusted, that the internet is full of distractions and bad things. Personally I do see a future for internet ready devices to replace textbooks. Just because you have an electronic text book doesn't mean you have to use electronics to write the information down on, I don't see that happening. You talk about a £250 on a device, but you could easily get away with a sub £100 android tablet for simple internet research.
  19. You should ask for a different engineer and you could refuse entry to him. could have been a nasty accident but glad to hear everyone is ok. although with a title like this "I can't get my breath over an engineer i've just had... " I was expecting an entirely different sort of story.
  20. I don't think you get Dave or yesterday on freesat, but you do with freeview I think its something to do with a exclusive satellite deal with sky
  21. This is the generic EULA for apps from the apple website Now the way I read that was, if your using it for personal use then thats fine. If your commercial or educational its fine as long on a device owned\controlled by the business\education.
  22. Thats what I am trying to do, I have no issue with them using their own devices\apps but I don't want the school getting fined because the licencse is personal and not to the school.
  23. If a teacher brings in their own iPad and uses it and the apps they have bought themselves for teaching there lesssons, where does the school stand in terms of licencing? thank you
  24. Hello, How have any of you tackled the insurance of personal devices in your school. Do you require the students have there own insurance or do you cover their device with the schools policy? Thanks
  25. You mix chilli powder with water and put it into a super soaker, then you spray the cat, it runs off. When its safe it decides to clean itself and then it gets the suprise.....
×
×
  • Create New...