-
Posts
2,035 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by mullet_man
-
Microsoft A3 Licensing - ISOs from M365/VLSC
mullet_man replied to CHiLL's topic in Licensing Questions
-
One thing to look out for, I've had a bit of an issue we use Office 365 for staff and 2021 for students and I pushed out a setting which set the channel for updates but if a student device received a channel setting then Office 2021 wouldn't do any updates. Took me a while to work this out and found a post on Reddit with someone having the exact same symptoms as me. Just thought I'd post it in case anyone runs into any issues.
-
We used dedicated accounts but locked down so wouldn't be able to access settings. I'll have a look tomorrow, am thinking we just use the web browser version in the future. The software always has issues.
-
We are running a WJEC test later this week and I just happened to take a look as I'd not been sent any information about all these registry keys that need changing. Will these affect the computer in day to day use? Turn off autocorrect for Office etc?
-
Saw this thread and thought of the E5520/E5530 issues we were plagued with a few years ago. We had 5 year warranties with ours, and Dell ran out of replacement hinges and ended up replacing the laptops with E5550/5570. So we must have got about 30 replacement laptops in the end.
-
I had WSUS with SCCM and my update folders would never clean out old updates so every so often it would get full and break the ADRs. Moving to WUfB has been a massive reduction in admin. The one thing I need to maybe get my head around is delivery optimisation and clients sharing the load of downloading updates.
-
We ditched WSUS/SCCM updates a while ago and moved to WUfB via Intune. Not had any issues to be honest and you get bios and driver updates if you want. Plus updates work off site which is good for us as sometimes staff laptops can be at home for long periods so they get updates still. I just update our servers manually each month.
-
Is there a timeframe with Microsoft 365? Will it remove Publisher at some point?
-
[24h2 / lts 2024] Windows 11, version 24H2: What’s new for IT pros
mullet_man replied to 6Foot2's topic in Windows 11
Ignore this I've sorted it. Had deferral on feature update set. -
[24h2 / lts 2024] Windows 11, version 24H2: What’s new for IT pros
mullet_man replied to 6Foot2's topic in Windows 11
I've tried to push this out to a few test machines via an Intune feature update and none of the devices have picked it up. Set to make available as soon as possible and make available as an optional update but hasn't come through to any of the devices. Got HP Mini 400, HP ProBook 440 G9 so they all meet the spec. Moving to 23H2 worked via same method! -
Does the OneDrive app open?
-
Is your OneDrive installed with the /Allusers flag? Worth a test, I seem to remember a while back it would work quicker at startup when installed like this father than in the users appdata folder.
-
Haha yeah we go well above and beyond here!
-
Thanks @ass17 I'll have a word with our Exam team, they setup the laptops and fill in the details and the pupil don't do anything then. I think for us as we have some pupils who might struggle creating a new file I might look at the running multiple instances. To be honest I haven't looked at any of the extra settings as we haven't needed to as yet. Thanks.
-
Question for today Our exams team have setup a session for History paper but have said they need to have two different paper names and details and wanted to know if you could run ExamWritePad twice? Which it doesn't look like you can. Is there a way or is it possible to have different papers setup for one exam? Hope that makes sense!
-
Yeah I'd deployed quite a en-us staff laptops and then ran into this same issue, I fixed them by reimaging as soon as I could. If it's student devices that can be done with a bit more ease then get them done as soon as possible. Also have you looked at moving to Windows Update for Business? In theory you wouldn't need to worry about languages, just a thought. Ive moved our sccm updates role now to intune and so not had any major problems.
-
I've used this before, export a few days activity and then search the CSV for that IP. https://o365reports.com/2019/12/23/export-office-365-users-logon-history-report/
-
We have a couple Zoom recorders and we save the files to SharePoint at the end of each day and the teacher who did the exam renames the files. If you setup a folder structure in advance, by day for example then it's only say 10 or 15 files that need renaming and if the staff have a running order it's really easy for them. The amount of times we had issues with using a laptop and Audacity that have all been erased using a Zoom far outway renaming the files at the end of the day rather than straight away.
-
A good point on maternity to consider, we sometimes recall the before teacher goes on maternity. You'll also need to cover long term sickness, which if others are like my school here is a considerable problem, so you do need banks of spares.
-
I work in a large school with over 100 teachers and you need spares, lots of spares for all various of reasons so totally agree. Back on point with the spares with OneDrive set up right a teacher borrows a spare logs in and gets their files pretty quickly.
-
Haha yeah had a few similar things, one left near there wheel when getting kids in the car and running over the laptop, one leaving it on a wall thankfully taken in by a neighbour.
-
I totally get your points but I've in all my years working in schools where teachers have laptops you'll be surprised just how often they do forget them and you've just got to have spares. You can't say no go home and get it, some live miles away, they can't just go and get it and need classes covering. It's annoying they forget them but they are over worked and all the support they can get. I'll cut them some slack when the odd one forgets their laptop.
-
Am wondering if this would work for us here too. It's worth a shot before it gets out of control.
-
Oh keyboards and mice forgot about them, constantly buying them for our IT rooms.
