-
Posts
1,891 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by tarquel
-
Shame I didnt notice this earlier really. With one domain, I followed windows-noob and went for mixed mode for an array of reasons [this was last year now so dont ask me what they were other than the native needing cert etc ] and found it to be quite fun (the guides on there are good but its not always exactly clear) getting things to play ball. Dont under estimate how much there is to learn with SCCM... theres so many functions and settings that even the best of brain sponges out there probably havent found everything. BTW Respond to Unknown Computers for PXE booting is only in the R2 of SCCM 2007 btw just for info and yes, SP2 is required for full Win 7 compatibility [well, i use full compatibility loosely as we havent got that far yet to know if thats exactly true or not ] On a diff domain, I followed a MS best practice type of guide - cant find the link right now but I did find after I'd finished what was in the guide this: Windows Administrator's Forum • View topic - Windows 7 Deployment: with MDT 2010 and SCCM 2007 which is basically the guide that someone has turned into a web page and added some handy screenshots etc. The snag about this guide [the MS one] is that it doesnt explain anything to you, you just follow steps until your done and then it seems to be assumed that you know what to do hehe S'all good fun I guess. Nath
-
Hehe but worth a ask
-
It is a default / clean / non-edited source DVD of Server 2008 when you installed that server correct?
-
Just checked myself on a Windows 2008 server.... open Group Policy Management Editor and if you create / edit a GPO (at some domain based level that will affect all computer objects), you should find it: Computer Configuration > Policies > Windows Settings > Security Settings > System Services and its just called Messenger Tick the "Define this policy setting" and choose Disabled and edit the security if you like too, to something like SYSTEM: Full Control, Domain Administrators: Start,stop and pause and INTERACTIVE:Read See if that does the trick. Nath
-
What drivers are you missing in your RIS booting woes? I can possibly help you out. I've added support for our Dell Latitude E6410 that have just come in for example Nath.
-
No worries. I was just pointing out that different migration scenarios [including Exch 2003 to 2010] are included in that link, so its worth a look It didnt have anything of use really when I installed 2010 on a non-exch domain... but thats because it was within the same week/month that Exchange 2010 RTM'd Brave?... naaa Stupid?....possibly Mad?.... most definately
-
+1 here. Used to do this in the school. It was far quicker and efficent to just redeploy the client OS again [and apps] via RIS that took about a hour or two rather than having to spend a lot more time than that fixing some broken OS due to some pupil having had fun pulling the power out / hitting the reset button mulitple times while the system was loading I could start the rebuild and walk away to sort something else out while it was rebuilding.... ...simples! Obviously, a harder choice if you dont have everything automated of course Nath
-
hehe as i said to a member of staff today when he exclaimed how late i worked on a particular issue "thats when i do some of my best work".... its a shame about the rest of the day really Cheers Nath
-
As "rubbish" as it seems, when I want to find out what DC im authenticating with, I open up a cmd and use: Hope that helps. Nath.
-
Did you look at the link in my previous post? Wasnt it any good with migration from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010 then? Cheers Nath.
-
Few questions and a thought before I go to bed (i really should given the time ): - Are you just using MDT2010 or are you using it in conjunction with WDS and or SCCM? - Are you ensuring that you are booting with a x64 boot image in order to deploy the x64 version of windows? I ask the later as I was being a little silly recently in that i was booting with a x64 (custom) boot image of WinPE but trying to use it in conjunction with a x86 install.wim of Windows 7 [i'm using SCCM 2007 SP2 with MDT2010 for info] I'll check back tomorrow but for now, sleep time Cheers Nath.
-
Possibly a stupid question but the clock on the exchange server havent changed for some reason and thus causing the error? or are different to the rest of the AD servers? Nath.
-
I cant say for virtualised desktops (except for Citrix with pure Thin Clients) but I would say that to do it properly, unless by choosing a Open Source route, it wont be a cheap and quick solution to do it properly, and doing a half a job, would likely prove more hassle than its worth to start with. Virtualised Servers though I can say is pretty neat, but again, depending on the solution you choose, a initially costly but rewarding experience - 130+ servers over 4 physical hosts using an iSCSI SAN for the storage of everything anyone? Cheers. Nath.
-
Dont know if this helps at all (I've setup a multi server exchange 2010 deployment with no existing exchange deployment in the domain) but have you been through this: Exchange Server 2010: Exchange 2010 Help Cheers Nath.
-
Well how about comedy breasts, a horned hat and a pair of boxers with [fake] butt cheeks showing? I just got back from ours... You lot are all boring indeed :P Nath
-
you started it hehehe *and the thread takes a 5 yr old feel suddenly*
-
...and done: http://i38.tinypic.com/i5aye0.jpg ...and no, I'm not slacking - I'm on A/L
-
lv 8....
-
Lv 6 here.... tricky and silly...
-
Few thoughts... Does the server do anything else other than have a SQL 2005 install on it? i.e. running any other software on it, etc? While its likely to be disc related, have you checked and/or swapped out the RAM modules? Even slightly duff RAM sticks could be causing it to corrupt etc IMO. Regards Nath.
-
Just check the script that is running I'd say. i.e. it network drive mapping part should contain something like the following: net use x: \\server\share You might need a net use x: /DELETE in a line before it if that drive letter has already been mapped i.e. as a safety precaution so that it completes correctly. You shouldnt need to do any waiting within the script when it comes to a logon script like this.... i havent in 12 years lol Have a feeling that there might be another setting in the GP that you need to check, but cant remember what it is offhand. Regards Nath.
-
If you do need to do this, I've had something similar to do recently. A certain group of machines needing to revert back to IE6 from IE7 [due to some deliciously annoying program they all use].. The key to it [for those that dont know] is to target them differently in WSUS: Create a seperate GPO with a different computer group target, with the computer objects within a AD group and naturally only allow this GPO to apply to this AD group, and then remove IEx on the client machines, and reset the WU on the client machines. You can use this new group to prevent WSUS from allowing install of IEx on these machines Removing the version you dont want can be batch scripted. For IE 7 at least, you can try this: start /wait %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe /quiet /norestart EDIT: typed this a while ago but forgot to click the post button.... *sigh*....curry was more important. All the best. Nath
-
A small thought but isn't that the power management of the OS / BIOS causing the monitor to go off rather than a screen saver? or is it definately the screen saver? I recall [obviously wrongly] that WinDVD and most DVD viewing programs have a disable screen saver option in them - is that ticked? (although i guess the "lockout" might prevent that from working as I think windows does something slightly different when that option is enabled) Just spewing thoughts out of my brain again Nath.
-
hehe no worries shielder....wasnt a dig or anything. I was just thinking that if it was only one he had, it might be less time consuming is all Nath.
- 6 replies
-
- experience pack
- inkball
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
How about just changing the permissions on the file to prevent access to it? Or does that "return" again? If its only one machine, then a GPO might be over the top Nath.
- 6 replies
-
- experience pack
- inkball
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
