-
Posts
1,891 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by tarquel
-
*spits @ nvidia* Yes ATI - I'll always love yoy lmao [how sad] That must have cost you a bit Chris N.
-
hehe I was only being sarcastic tho lol lol good god - what's cabling a sound system got to do with your job? hehe \we had a nearby company come in and do it - cost 9-10k tho lol and they want me to cable a room on the cheap - typical lol Definately get someone in for that tho tony Cheers Nath
-
http://www.projectoffset.com/ That looks great to me A game that'll be well realistic but you'll probably need the power of the PS3 or the latest pc to play it when it surfaces lmao Thought it might be of interest to some. Ta, Nath.
-
ha - i had a feeling they existed. I scare easy so dont tell me lol i'm getting a adaptec sata-II raid controller but I doubt i'll have that luxioury in it for the price lol Regards N.
-
Record the websites that are accessed
tarquel replied to SpuffMonkey's topic in How do you do....it?
presumably, you have them access the i'net through a proxy server right? Isn't there logs in this that can show you things such as the date/time, IP, website address, etc.? If you use 2003 as a proxy - think theres a way of doing it (or do you have to use that server system that i cant remember the name of - ISA i think its called - bit tired now ) then I'm not so sure. We go direct to the countys proxy so i'm not sure how that would work unfortunately lol Cheers Nath. -
er.... no lol I didnt know a projector required a lan port to work lol I thought they used normal power sockets lmao N.
-
lol yep but i think they might notice a quote taking place from them. Might give IP a call tho *sighs* lol Nath.
-
While I understand that in princible, it was as I thought. Ppl never listen to me here: - no you cant stick a telephone system on to the existing network - yes, it'll work as is - no it wont as I'm pretty sure it'll need managed switches which we dont have, and it 'may' eat our bandwidth which we havent got any spare of [see my ramblings in another post somewhere in the forum - fibre > 100M converters, etc..] - we have enough internet for that - ???? i'll stop there - they love to argue knowing not what they go on about lol Nath
-
yep yep yep gotcha - though I doubt I'll use them I think - but its handy to know Regards N.
-
Get a free Mac Mini, some free DVD rentals and help me too!
tarquel replied to crc-ict's topic in General Chat
Rightyho - think we'll leave it at that then... [topic locked! - only pm one of the mods on this board if you have a really important point you want to make here ] Regards y'all N. -
Nice work guys. All these tips - most graciously received (along with any c.v.'s would be welcome too pls - PM me pls ) Stewart - yours does sound good. I nearly signed up to one when search online but thought better of it lol It would be most welcone. I'll get writing once i can think properly ...and once i get someone's c.v. to cop... use as an example Many thanks Nath.
-
It came with office - must have cost you a bomb to buy lol lol N.
-
Is the training course really needed? I so want to set one up (when the trail version came out - i set up one and it worked internally which was real nice. Didnt have to do hardly anything lol) - because i think it looked ace AND its another addition to the c.v. Regards N.
-
Isn't that classed as electrical tony? ;) hehe Nath
-
Sorry to digress but... Is it the norm to have a seperate lan setup for a phone system i.e. instead of using an existing frame work - the admin network for example lol, or does everyone have it piggybacking on the existing network? [i've been told it would cause no slowdown and take up hardly any bandwidth but i find it hard to believe and we, currently, dont have any managed switches either] Regards Nath
-
As i understand it... [and i probably understand it wrong] ...when you create the hardware raid, the raid info [i.e. what drives there are, how things are linked, etc... too far over my head there] is either held within the chip on the controller on the motherboard/raid controller. If you change motherboard and the raid controller is on it, then the new motherboard is not gonna have the info of what the raid is, details, etc. Same if its a seperate raid controller with no battery backup on it (like geoff says) because if you remove that card [which you'll have to do if youre changing the mobo lol] its most likely not gonna keep its info and you'll have the same result. I dont know if there are intellegent raid controllers out there that will detect the raid and rebuild it - but most likely not - and who knows whether it'd be a fully working one then in that case. Get backing up that info or ghost it all onto many DVD's lol [yes.... this was a much more long-winded way of saying what geoff said - i hope i had some logic in it somewhere lol] Regards N.
-
Shame ric - i've never myself had a problem with them. Unfortunately, its all courier permitting i'd say lol [unless you paid extra for a definate next day] I thankfully have never had to return a item i've placed thats been the wrong one [only when its the wrong one when either the distribution point has messed up or account manager put down the wrong one lol] The ict co-ordinator moans why I only use them i hear, but he doesnt do any quoting anymore - except for getting these compatible toners for some of the printers [my poor lovely hp machines] sorry /rant Nath,.
-
I'm gonna have to set another up to play with - not in the school of course lol on my personal website to try stuff out with again ....if i had time lmao Nath
-
Wow! Did expect such a hot topic response hehe Just a few coments here... @ict02phs: Welcome to the forum and thanks for the post the cab/switch cupboard > destination room is about 5-10m away diagonally down [as the crow flies] but theres a staircase inbetween so it makes it a little more of a longer run. Its a fairly old building - not the classic mutli-layered floor type I've seen in other schools. [shame i dont have a map to show you all really] and i have no idea about the walls and so on i.e. what they are made of, drilling and so on...The floor is thick - as is most of the walls. The caretaker was given the task to do it with me but like i said, i dont know what exactly qulifications he has in these matters but like i said he's only meant to do "light maintainance" and I doubt this is classed the same. Getting three quotes will be tough - tho i could include the county themselves as I know of two in the area (well more than that but i dont trust the rest no more) and the county could be the third to quote. I wouldn't imagine it'd cost that much either really as its more awkward than anything else - but still... @metalmonkey: its only a small school so the team comprises of just me really. The ict co-ordinator is also the deputy head and does understand too much - as he would tell you back in the day lol 13.2k to do almost everything.... hmmmmm..... lol Spoke to the couty IT helpdesk and they said that although officially I "could" do it (powys insured and work for county etc) they advise that I dont do it as I havent had the sufficient training to be insured personally in order to carry out the task [if that makes sense]. They suggest using the county architect's. I was thinking (like someone said above) that get them in to do proper truncing with the power - and then they would do the lan cables as part of it right? Cheers Nath
-
nice font N.
-
I agree E1uSiV3 - not using RIS but the xp ua cd i made has sp2 slipstreamed and unless I've inadvertantly disabled it in the winnt.sif file, I havent had any probs with this either. Regards N.
-
Righty-ho then - one to leave for the future then Thanks for the info guys. Regards Nath
-
Hi all Slight toughy here(but as its nearly 3am lol I'll possibly be more brief than clear lol) - well for me its tough, tho i havent had the time to try it properly. Previous to the change of network IP range setup i.e. before i installed the WG Firebox X500 , we had two IP ranges assigned on two ports on a Cisco router (i know no more on that as the county run that - its their baby so access to me to fiddle lol). for example: port a - range (1) 192.168.20.x port b - range (2) 192.168.25.x and those are distributed to the different rooms and switches - as the admin and the curriculum networks. I had a specific IP address on range 1 (cur) which gave the computer configured with that address a different proxy filtering setup i.e. I could access more sites and so on that the rest of the IP addresses and ranges. An IT techie IP if you will. Now, having attached the watchguard unit on port a of the cisco router, it now has the single IP addres assigned to its External port and we have two new private ranges internally all going through this firewall unit. Of course, now I cant use that IP address so I'm trying to work out how to set up the watchguard configuration to give that external port a IP alias of that IP address that I had and somehow direct HTTP traffic from one of my private IP addresses. With me so far? (sorry for lack of technical terms here) Can anyone think of a way on how to route requests to that IP address and do you know - with the firewalls you have in place, not just watchguard specifically as it might give me a clue - whether thats all i need to do or is there more complex things I need to set up? I'm tried configuring the Policy manger appropriately but it didnt seem to make any difference. Any ideas on this would be helpful as I'm back to a very limited scope of internet again (and more annoyingly, I cant confer on msn or check out the edugeek site lol) Many thanks in advance ;) Nath
-
Back to my "old" roots? lol Naaa - I luv the town too much. Not sure I could start again at the moment. I think if my best mate moved then yeah, possibly, but its nice to know i can walk down the street and not worry about the nasty ppl there are out there [just to lower the tone lol]. Besides, i'm friends with all those nasty ppl that live here lmao There are a few places around - but I need to approach them (you never know as they say ) Regards N.
-
Best way / method to sync time between servers.
tarquel replied to mac_shinobi's topic in Wireless Networks
[topic moved to more appropriate place - left a shadow in case you wondered where it went guys ]
