-
Posts
1,891 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by tarquel
-
ask matt all his teachers have one *bah!* N.
-
someone care to post the correct format to script the forced logoff for psshutdown ? lol yes - i have looked at the syntax but i cant get the bugger to work. i've done a reboot method instead at 10pm - shame the 98 pc's aren't as easy to manipulate lol [tho i guess theres poweroff i cud use lol] Cheers N.
-
Just another thought (I'm with roberto on this one - as I'm gonna be doing the same thing most likely) but have you got the 2003 domain running in a mode where it can see/talk to older domains? cant remember the name right now lol Cheers N.
-
ooops forgot to post that I've got BF2 now well... a few weeks ago and i think my handle on it will be easily guessable lol Nath.
-
Yep - I am working on script to remove it all in one happy swoop :D If i narrow it down to a single field that you can script ie. @ECHO OFF removeusr 98tsam removeusr 98tjohn removeusr 98tstinky ... I'll happily post it for u all [and yes, im sure these things exist already - but i DO so enjoy reinventing the wheel lmao] Cheers N.
-
nope - but i agree even with its "choice" ideas on some things its a great tool in the arsenal of defense against the mighty spyware. lol - god i'm sad - back to FF online for me hehe Later Nath
-
There was some program i had to do the resgistry permissions thingy on but i forget what it was. If i didnt, then the "standard" users couldnt use the prog otherwise - even with full control on the installed location of the program. Think it was Intel ...er...the microscope thing lol Cheers Nath
-
lol nice one geoff
-
lol
-
Yep yep - i been looking at that for a while this morning [whilst helping the head with her emails, amongst other things]. Did the SelfSSL guide and managed to get the non-windows authentication slightly sorted. Just need to hack the login.asp file to remove the domain part in the logging in fields [its on the msexchange.org article list somewhere - not got the links to hand sorry for direct info but its a great great place] Cheers Nath.
-
Been rearranging the room this evening. Will be running internal room links from the to-be terminated ports on the feed into the room to the computer's etc. I do like that bit, but I wish the IT co-ord would actually grace the room with where he wants things laid out etc. Oh well.... he cant moan if he aint prepared to help - maybe he will later on this week (who knows). Still annoyed about the whole situation and i aint gonna go crawling to him and say sorry when all i did was check whether i should be doing it etc. Apparently he said to me that I was only doing the terminating - but somehow, I dont remember him saying that. hmmmmmm........ Cheers y'all. Nath
-
I think theres too many roaming profile type threads here lol It's be nice to combine them and start a new, dedicated thread with a wiki for the answers. My 2p anyhow Nath.
-
Hi frazer My usermaker script is similar but i only use a princible of scriptname year form Firstname Second etc... The script does the rest. Any duplicate firstnames are noted and manually processed afterwards using the script i.e. Firstname with the first char of the secondname. The script of course detects if the user exists or otherwise, it would start changing the existing user, dir and hidden share, etc... I've got more tweaking to do but it works real well. The only snag here is sometimes they input into sims the first names the wrong way around but its no real problem really. The users dont mind (and why should they - its only a logon name hehe) Regards Nath
-
We've always removed leaver years after so long - due to not having the space [again, before the old DVD-R's were about]. This year I intend to do just that and archive all the leaver years on to a DVD and stick it in the safe - if there is room lol Again, not my decision regarding the deletion of data. I was never told about the keeping of it and when I said I'm running out of room, the answer was "remove the old pupils home folders". hmmmm... :S Cheers Nath
-
same here - with fasthosts Nath.
-
@gecko: Yes Yes YES lol Does that automated thing know about additional stuff that may be there due to tools you might not have normally on "home" computers? I'd be doubtful - so its why I suggested he attaches the log. It doesnt do us any harm now does it? lol The latest ver of hijackthis is 1.99.1 Cheers Nath
-
Well all I'm doing now [regarding the cabling job] is terminating the ends. ...which I do any how and is no biggie. Its gonna be another loooong week lol Regards Nath
-
actually - u need the latest DSClient [http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;288358 - tho there is another KB article that says you need to call MS for the latest DSClient] in order for it work properly westbroke. They do indeed work fine. ...or at least, they did, until I added this exchange 2003 server. I believe it was working fine until i installed exchange 2003 on the member server. It may have even been fine until i installed the SP1 for Exchange 2003 - cant say for sure. I've posted here - http://forums.msexchange.org/Exchange_2003_SP1_added_to_2003_domain_and_98_cannot_log_on/m_1800387173/tm.htm - and here - http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=57634 I think it may be that exchange adjusted the schema [as it does lol] and the settings that you need to change for 9x to work properly documented in: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=555038 ...which may have been reset. I'm gonna try this first thing and if not, then its upgrading to XP time for those 98 machines that are left (happily but annoying timing with the pending parents evening looming on tues night). Lets hope. Nath
-
Stewart - it was only a quick post... One time (wont say on who's laptop and no, it wasn't mine lol) I spent about 4 hrs removing spyware from a computer - I had to run the tools mentioned, along with some other ones like MS ASW, and lots of registry editing in every attempt. Needless to say it was for free 'n' all [outside of work but close to home if you get my meaning lol]. I must have dealt with around 300 or more PC's in the past few years with some sort of spyware or another and they were all pretty 100% clean after - but i agree, there's no !00% definately way to know theres none left. Any good man [or woman] worth their salt will tell you that presently, you *have* to use multiple known spyware removal tools, autorun/startup detection tools and various manual processes like registry editing and precise deletion of files, etc.. to be able to combat an infected machine, and to definately use multiple anti-spyware programs on your machines at all times. @gecko - they are registry/system repairing and cleaning tools - they dont touch spyware [that I know of] but the latter is a good one for clearing the crap [no pun intended]. I do tend to use Norton Systemworks's WinDoctor [found on Norton Utiilities too i think] which is great for system repair and cleaning up - but thats another topic. From what you said in your first post stewart, it would seem that either there is a background process running that is watching what you are doing, and/or, a BHO (Browser Hijacker) thats plugged in to IE and monitoring what you are typing and giving you results in a popup form. Check for hidden toolbars too in IE. ...you should be able to identify what it is with hijackthis - you could always post a log of it here if ya like. Cheers Nath
-
What is your school policy for pupils who access porn?
tarquel replied to woody's topic in School ICT Policies
The pupil(s) usually get a telling off from the deputy head and we disable their account for a bit. Unfortunately, I'd imagine they get their friends logon details [which teachers dont really mind as they want the work done etc] as it sometimes stays disabled for quite a while. I know what you mean MuppetQueen, although it doesnt happen too offen with the county filtering system working pretty efficiently - regarding bad sites. Anything else [like misuse of computers etc] doesnt get any specific ruling against it - varies every time [another thing that really annoys me] I tried to bring up the AUP and got a cold response so after recent events here - its up to them if they want to help make it better. Excuse the rant lol [as always] Nath. -
Welcome to my world for the past 8 years lol You described me perfectly lol [bsck then] and things just havent changed [now thats commitment or just stupidity probably] *sighs* But you're soooooo right tho Nath
-
a definate tempremental day *sighs* N.
-
good thought but alas no... all different hardware really - about 30 of one type of machine, another 8 or so of another type, about 3 of another type and then various others. Same with the switches really - theres alsorts all over the place. Like in my cat5 cabling network post, I'll try and russle up a map shortly So tired..... Cheers Nath
-
just a quick temp post - gona try and draw up a map of the network to show u [its a old network sorta so placement where theres room is what its always been about - and will always be too, as moving the servers about and additional cabling aint gonna happen] check back later and i'll try and draw a map lol anyone got visio to hand? joke #Nath#
-
what a day! :( Its a HP ProCurve 2626 (not 2650) but whats 24 ports between friends eh? lol] Also, its all the win 98 pc's in the entire school that suddenly cant log on anymore - the DC [was] attached to this new switch so it doesnt appear to be limited to any particular room or anything. @andy: not a nice feature - not when u have no choice and management do feel the need to buy xp licenses for them lol @E1uSiV3: I found something in the web interface of the switch regarding it [was set to off so I turned it on but no change] @Geoff: I've tried all sorts - VLAN - dont use them - traffic shaping config [whats that?? lol] The HP ProCurve support line was puzzled - they said that if the switch is on the factory settings, then its pretty much like a unmanaged switch. It shouldnt stop 98 logging on to the network in any case. He said he'd get back to me in the morning [which was nice] but didnt seem to think it would be the switch. I think he's right as I've taken off all the connections on that switch now and the same thing is happening still The other changes that have taken place are some firewall [router/vpn unit] rule changes - but I've reversed the changes now to my knowledge. Also, yesterday afternoon, I attached a exchange 2003 server to the domain and I'm wondering whether this could be the cause [its looking like a definate] but I'm clueless as to why that would stop the 98 machines from logging onto the DC :S I know that during the exchange install, it changes the schema of the AD but could this have done it and does anyone know anything on this and what to look for? I soooo hate my job at the moment lol Regards Nath
