-
Posts
1,891 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by tarquel
-
sounds great I havent even tried HL2 yet I'm sure I'm missing out - its just I've got loads of games i need to play at the moment and no time to play them lol Nath
-
I gott too many posts to catch up on to waste time showing y'all with a picture at the moment. I'll screen dump it instead - but you've seen it anyhow lol N.
-
i cud swear that I just wrote that my 2003 server doesnt sync with powys' time server lol N.
-
see my post - they should work for 2k upwards i think. N.
-
so ppl can comment on it lol u argumentative git mark lol You should hear him in the pcc it tech meetings.... makes my ears hurt lol [jokin] N.
-
whats that do then? get updated version of it? N.
-
hehe didnt mean any offense - I did mean generally - not you specifically lol It sounds very interesting and if i had the time to try it, I wouldnt mind giving it a try myself Its just that the topic in question was on about something else entiely. I'm not slating you or anyone or for digressing.. [hell - i definately do it myself to a degree lol] ...i just think we should try to not completely change the topic subject by digressing lol It does sound kinda cool what you mention above though Now can i revive my 486 and get out those real old floppy disc of a ~1999 slackware dist? Fun times when i couldnt afford any sort of decent pc lol Nath.
-
lmfao I've taken the p*** outta him with this one many times lol Anyhow... I have structure set out categoried - as we all do [i would have thought] computer and user OU's - with sub-sections based on type - group - department - etc I have specific GPO's for single tasks - i.e. disabling IE, allowing computer shutdown, accessing c drive. accessing optical drive, etc - and general GPO's i.e. default user policy, default staff policy, default desktop policy, IT suite default policy, etc. Complex you may think but it does help tweaking things when needed and give greater control on sections of the GP [even if i do forget which setting has been enabled in which policy lol] Nath.
-
true - but cant seem to find one lol or access one - the [linux] one in powys doesnt seem to like the 2k3 server trying to sync its time with it. It matters not though Cheers N.
-
PM me thomas if you need to add more to this topic - i.e. if you still need help with this one Cheer N.
-
I use xcalcs in my usermaker script - it does need tweaking tho its a pain at the moment because I've got 98 machines so i precreate the profile so that 98 is happy when logging on. Still get the "you havent logged on to this machine before. Would you like windows to remember you" type window appearing on 98 but it works and thats all that matters lol N.
-
er..... Anonymous Logon > add that to the share / NTFS permissions of whatever shared folders you want to access without user authentication I had to do something like this for a really [formerly] mixed up admin network lol And theres no reason why it shouldn't work with hidden shared too Cheers N.
-
sounds good russ - til they start charging you for their time [winks @ mark]. Our lea only covers certain provisions and we have to pay for the rest - for a new topic maybe? I'm having difficulty getting critical updates at the moment - psf ending but the log entry on the firewall is so long it gets cut off, so it doesnt tell me what type/MIME or whatever its called [i.e. application/x-pdf ,etc] it is for me to allow the type in the firewall content settings Anyone know what it is? Manually doing windows update shows the log and i guess its why WSUS isnt working properly at the moment Cheers N.
-
I see..... I just have the shortcuts to any possible program categorised in the redirected start menu I know its a touch tacky but they dont mind too much - they get used to whats on where - and its only the teachers that use the DVD software on a few choice machines - there isnt really any cd burners really on the cur network [i usually burn anything that needs burning]. We only have three staff laptops which are permenantly with 3 teachers - d. head has two of them!! lol one on admin and one on cur lol So theres no real problem with that. I wonder where the special needs laptop is as no one has mentioned it and i have wiped it since the big network change over [ip range thing in another post] hmmmm...... Nath.
-
Two good points which is why I've stickied it and also, fully agree that this sorta flaming on posts will be modified/removed if it happens anymore as it isn't very constructive for others [ooo feel like a teacher now lol] The same thing I've noticed with normal questions on how to do something being turned into how linux is better at doing it etc lol Lets stop that please Regards Nath
-
Dunno how my domain keeps going then lol Dont have a time source to speak of, although i think i followed some MS article to use the server's clock as the time source or something Cheers N.
-
Also, why havent you got the teachers unable to make changes to the networking settings i.e. stop them from enabling/disabling network connections? I *think* the only thing they can do is see the status page of it - but not 100% [not being at work] but they cant change anything. The staff users are almost locked down as much as the pupil users. So nice not having any trouble on XP - due to user interference that is Also, you might want to look at the properties of the lan card in Device Manager and uncheck the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" [its under the Power Management tab lol] Some machines I've seen get their lan cards disabled due to this setting too - probably a combo of driver and system not turning it back on automatically when the system requests use of it again Regards N.
-
I'd have given them a simple "No - tough luck! Laptop/PC's are cheap these days you know..." lol But good work nonetheless, though I dont *quite* see what you are doing exactly lmao N.
-
As geoff says, they are in a IE adm file - not at work right now but you can do *alot* using the correct adm file. ...Just been nosing... Not sure how your GP is setup, but you'll find a whole host of stuff under: Machine / User > Windows Components > Internet Explorer If it isnt there, then you are missing the inetres.adm file I would wager from the system somewhere - just check C:\Windows\inf for the .adm files and see if its there [and on the server too]. I've only taken a quick look at the file but i didnt see the disabling printing from IE there - so you still may need to use geoff's method or create a custom .adm file to use in your GP Regards N.
-
This - as I understand it [and it works for me] - is the normal way of doing it I think: - set up a adminisrative share of Office 2k3 that your users can see... [i've found that \\servername\mso2k3 isnt a good place to install from as it takes longer than a mapped share i.e. i:\Apps\MSO2K3 [which is a share on a network drive naturally lol] - customise how you want the install to run with the resource tools for Office 2k3 - Cant remember the names offhand but I'll update this post a bit later on It's on the whole not that important though as you can lock it down pretty tightly via the Office 2k3 GP's anyhow - As a administrator, install Office 2k3 from that share using any transforms/settings that you may have steup up for the install [i think you need to keep the transforms in a location that the users can see also - but not 100% on this one - I just stick them in the same dir of the administrative install] Thats it really - well, for me, I use roaming profiles and each user gets the initial install window appear when they first start it - but once they have done it once, it doesnt ask them again - as its stored in their roaming profile naturally lol pooley - You might find that something in your GP is preventing the install from completing [but it does sound very odd that you get it again after closing word and starting again]. By not using roaming/manditory profiles or configuring the local default user profile, your users will keep getting the "Install/Setup" window when they log on as it seems there is no way for it to hold the information anywhere. Sorry if this is a trifle like rambling - i'm tired and ill lol Have a chat on MSN if you care to Cheers N.
-
just a slight deviance here... Saw a WDS capable adsl router for the first time [well - first time i noticed the feature that is lol] in a 3com one and I tried to link it to a wireless AP [linksys one] at a mates house but no luck. I missed the blinding factor that both AP's need to support WDS then lol but anyway, my thought was could you use this kind of system to setup a wireless IP CCTV system [cheaply] as would definately be a help in installing an additional cctv system. Would the performance be good enough on this kind of wireless system? Cheers Nath
-
oh to go on a course - you must be blessed chris hehe front end back end [i read about that while checking out various MS / msexchange.org guides] setup is indeed best - but cost dont allow it i'd wager. Doesnt with us anyhow lol P.S. Sorted the login.asp - along with a bit more customisation too :D Cheers N.
-
yep yep russ I'll help arranging the room with the caretaker [hopefully lol] and do the bits I've said above - internal room links [port to pc etc] and use the cool patch panel i got that has the jacks built-in to it for the cab Cheers for all the assist Nath
