-
Posts
1,891 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by tarquel
-
Urgent Help!!! Year 10 folders have been deleted
tarquel replied to StewartKnight's topic in Windows
The point of having it read only allows them to check to see whether any work has been done - etc. I did set up a submitting / for marking folder in the pool drive for this purpose - think i might make it more obvious - putting it in the route of the pool drive. This folder I'm thinking will be: Pupils = Write only [to prevent pupils looking at other pupils work] Staff = Read & Modify Administrator = No Access [lol only jokin ] Sorry this is no help to your question Stewart Cheers N. -
Damn it - knew there was something missing from my post PEBuilder is great - used it yesterday to restore a crappy 98 pc ghosted image from another pc [p2p music dept network]. The network configurator is good indeed - and great how you can add more network cards to the build too. I really need to make a rebuild - though it isnt too great with older [98/95] machines if you put loads of stuff into it. Gonna have to make a lite CD up with just ghost, A/V and the basic tools in it Regards Nath
-
i'm gonna play devils advocate now and say... But are we teaching them to be able to use and work with MS Office products because thats what you'll run into outside of school? Every buisness around here uses MS Office or Works that I've seen [whether they are legal or not isnt for me to say - I know *I* didnt put it on there hehe] and thats what they are being taught for? Ideally myself, I would like to see a computer suite here with A Open-Source based office like you guys are refering to Open Office for one would be one of the candicates. You could schedule teaching of IT in the one room with MS Office and then they just have open office provided for them to do work on other subjects etc.... I guess that would at least cater for both - but until open source is much more widestream - its not really practical up here at the moment. Regards Nath
-
I'd suggest obsure URL with .htaccess / pswd a good start. Also, turning off the show folder listing of file and folders [sorry - no idea what its actually called] in the server config for that specific directory perhaps or the whole site maybe. My personal host has that turned off anyhow so I've never bothered with having to turn it off hehe Just my 2p Regards N.
-
Urgent Help!!! Year 10 folders have been deleted
tarquel replied to StewartKnight's topic in Windows
Same reasoning here E1uSiV3 I have it so that teachers have read only access to the entire pupils home folders but no create or write permissions There's also the issue that teachers could delete certain work if a pupil upset them [or whatever the reason] We have a pool drive where teachers leave resources and work and the pupils can only read the drive [a vice versa situation I guess hehe]. Never had any complaints about that side of things yet Cheers Nath -
@Rob: I use a bootable CD with loadsa stuff on it - inc my repackaged apps and countless other things. The trouble is that to boot from a CD, you cant read/write to NTFS [without the use of a v. highly priced program called NTFSDOS Pro or using some other 3rd party program - tho of course, there is linux live cd's hehe]. Its aways advisable to boot the target machine using a clean boot disk/CD/usb pen/HDD/etc and perform a full a/v scan there. Yes - I do a bit of work outside of the school too lol @sirbendy - Mcafee stinger is not a full a/v scanner remember Only a specific list of things it finds F-ProT I use [the free DOS one] but it doesnt seem to work within windows XP & on NTFS partitions - unless using a method as above @penguinpowered: Now that sounds good Shall have to give it a try Regards all Nath
-
Battlefront 1 was a bit poor I thought. Great gfx, great sounds, but i didnt feel compeled to play it again - we'd seen it all before really lol Its just a usual first-person shooter with Star Wars wraped around it lol Anyhow... Quake 4 - How much is it going for? I liked quake back in the day but was never compelled to buy it straight away really. Looked good from the reviews tho Cheers N.
-
Elite rulez indeed lol Never played X at all but always fancied a blast on it. Probably [in the early days] was too busy playing Frontier: Elite II on my Amiga. Countless hours gone there but i do know alot of orchestrial songs [even if I cant spell the word properly] I shall have to have a blast on X3 sometime - or is it better to start from the begining? Nath
-
At least it was free then hehe Nath
-
Told ya mark lol N.
-
lol cheeky Maxed on 1680 x 1050 But i know the prob u are on about lol N.
-
??? have i missed something?? what are you on about guys? lol N.
-
right on DB [locked - non-constructive thread]
-
Am i missing the problem with it? I like it regardless though N.
-
too late mate. Its done and done lol And a damn good job with gear that I know is good ;) You have no idea to the situation here - come up and visit me You be "unpleasantly" surprised with the lack of order here lmao Cheers anyhow Nath.
-
where do u want it split dude? etc... I'll do asap then N.
-
Ahh lol I just meant that if its been a ongoing problem, why havent they fixed it by now lol N.
-
Why dont you use the office adm's to configure the settings? Works for me N.
-
2 x DC, DNS, DHCP & FS [one for admin, one for curriculum] 1 x Exchange 2003 Server [and will be WSUS server too i think when i change it] 1 x win 2k Bromcom e-reg server approx 80/90 desktops [on last count lol] with 65% Win XPP and 35% Win 98SE N
-
Surely they could have fixed that in a office xp hotfix right? you got all the updates to office xp installed? N.
-
you sorted it now russ? N.
-
Just for info - is there a GP setting for this? Indeed - for folders in general using GP? Nath.
-
i wouldnt know - dont have any 2k workstations Ta though. Nath.
-
Very absorbing too - if you have the time and want to talk to other people. If you dont, then dont play this game - you just cant solo it all the way - with getting bored I would highly doubt. Its good fun and although its like the offline games, some have been swayed by the difficulty level of the game [compared to the offline FF games] but who wants a easy game? where's the fun in that? lol I'll be updating the first post every now and then to update stats - so it wont appear updated but check back now and then, and feel free to post your FF stats and comments/questions. Is there no one out there that plays this? Regards Nath
