Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ITBadger

Members
  • Posts

    262
  • Joined

Everything posted by ITBadger

  1. SIMS uses your PC's default printer. Have you tried checking the settings on that? Try printing from Wordpad and see if all behaves, and work up from there.
  2. Depends what you want to use them for. If you are a Google Apps For Education school then you could consider Chromebooks. They've proved to be tremendously popular here, and combined with Chrome RDP we have been able to use them for all requests.
  3. Hi Rick, 'Chrome RDP' seems to work fine for us. Allows full windows sessions, access to printers / mail etc. Basically a full Windows session. We use it to allow certain staff emergency access to SIMS, so if it can run that it should be able to run anything! Dave.
  4. Completed. Only takes a minute.
  5. I'm still in the 'anything with a username' camp. I do try to ensure that people consult me before purchasing though as it can be a nightmare when they order a product that doesn't integrate with existing school systems.
  6. The school that my daughters attend have a small number (about 12) of very simple passwords, greenfish, yellowfish, bluefish etc. All above 8 characters and assigned to multiple students. It's easy for the teacher to keep track of and the kids remember them fine (my daughter is now in Y1 and has been logging into GAFE quite happily since the start of reception year, albeit with help from staff at first). There is a danger of children cracking each others passwords I guess, but this is mitigated by assigning them a numeric username that is meaningless to anyone other than them. The username and password get stuck into their planners at the beginning of the year. It's not a perfect system, but it works for them.
  7. Interested in Unifi fro a primary school that I am a governor at. Which resellers did people with this system use? Would you recommend them?
  8. Let's hope so, as I've just bought one on the strength of this recommendation! They look good and will hopefully make that horrible frozen hand feeling a thing of the past.
  9. Brilliant! And 100% accurate.
  10. Who is your Account Manager? I've had an ongoing issue for a couple of weeks and things started to progress only when I complained to mine. There seemed to be a lot of random clicking by support engineers without a clear understanding of what they were doing, but once I complained the priority of my case was raised and they got a decent engineer onto the case.
  11. No problem. Give me a shout if you are still having trouble.
  12. You'll need to unlock it, make the change and then lock it back in place again. It's frustrating isn't it? If you look at the Bands screen in NovaT6 then any locked sessions will be highlighted in green. If you unlock them then they'll be removed from the timetable, but you can make your change and then drag them back into place, accepting the lock once again. Be sure to check that the block hasn't become unbuilt before sending the changes through to SIMS.
  13. It may be worth checking to see if your IP has been blacklisted. Different companies use different blacklist services and it may be that Virgin / NTL use one on which your IP address is listed. Blacklist Check would be a good starting point. It's normally pretty simple to get yourself removed, providing you don't have open relays or similar.
  14. I've got 250 of them which I purchased this summer. Really good unit for the price. Have various groups using them from class sets to Student 1-2-1 and they have been flawless so far. I'd be happy to recommend them.
  15. It definitely needs changing in Nova-T. We use vertical tutor groups and I always have to change it in two places, both on the timetable and in Pastoral Structure.
  16. Hi @pauldredge Thanks for responding, but its a heck of a lot of petrol money for a free brew! Will the event be recorded at all to increase it's reach. I'd still be interested in seeing / hearing what is discussed.
  17. Would have been interested in this but it's a fair trek from Rochdale to Northampton for a two hour session. If anyone from EasyPC is reading and they have plans for a similar session in The North, then please get in touch.
  18. An interesting read. I did note that deliverable two has a process repeated in the flow chart - "Will this replace teachers work laptops?" appears twice. I've completed your form, good luck with the ongoing thesis.
  19. We've had Printopia running here for about 18 months. Works a treat and thats with follow me printing which requires authentication passing through too.
  20. Application essay submitted!
  21. Of course, you could just get a new girlfriend, one with a working laptop...
  22. I've also had lots of issues with Autumn 2 via Solus. It seems that a large number of clients fall over half way through the solus agent update. When this happens the Sims.Solus3.Agent.AgentService.exe.config file that lives in c:\Program Files\Solus3\AgentService by default develops one or more of the following issues: 1) The 'agentid' entry differs from that stored in the Solus3 database. To fix this you need to gather the agent_guid result for your problem clients (i used SQL Management Server) to query the database for these) and compare them to what is in the .config file. If these differ then update the .config file to match the agent_guid on the server, save the file and restart the Solus3Agent Service. 2) The paths and ports in the same file may have reverted to the generic 'localhost:9999' and 'localhost:8888' settings. You'll need to edit the port numbers to match your Solus3 Server settings, along with pointing the second entry to the Solus3 server rather than localhost. Again you'll need to save the file and restart the Solus3Agent service on the client. I'm led to believe that not many schools have had this issue so the solution above may not be relevant to you. Without it though, i'd still have half my school unable to run SIMS...
  23. I've just had a quote from foneangels.co.uk and they are very competitive on price. Not had my broken ipads picked up yet so cannot comment on service.
  24. Hi All, I've been asked to look into sourcing a product that will help our lower end Year 7 & 8 learners improve their numeracy skills. So far i've looked at DoodleMaths, Maths Factor and Mathletics which all seem to have their strengths and weaknesses. Have any of you had experience with the above, or could you recommend other products for me to consider? Our maths department have 15 iPads per class (so approximately one between two) but it would be great to have something that students could access independently no matter what device they are using. Any advice / ideas appreciated. Dave.
  25. If you already have shared iPads then i've found that recent changes to diversify into individual apps for Slides / Sheets / Docs etc rather than accessing everything through the Drive app has proven to be confusing for students. Editing of files using Chrome on the iPad has also changed recently and now seems to be disabled. I was asked to support a class yesterday using a mixed economy of laptops and iPads and those with iPads were really struggling. I'd not be confident at the moment recommending Google Apps using shared iPads, although 1-2-1 works fine for me. From this perspective the goalposts seem to have moved quite often in recent months. I still love GAFE though, and definitely see it as a big step forward, especially since the launch of Classroom.
×
×
  • Create New...