Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

daveyboy

Members
  • Posts

    319
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by daveyboy

  1. :oops: Yeah - you know what I meant - too many 1664's for my own good........... Now I know why my head hurts this morning
  2. Here's what we do 1) Standard Image - i.e all of the software we use on our network is installed and configured. 2) Every staff member has full admin access to "their Laptop" - and they are free to install, configure, etc whatever they wish. 3) A long slow horrible death AUP (Fully supported by the Headmaster) 4)The important bit - we have webdav access for transfering files (and each staff member has a 512k pen drive - supplied by the school) so no excuse there. My only support is to re-image them when there is a problem. They are 100% responsible for any data, software, etc, etc on them. Thay have internet access on our school network - and its upto them to configure anything at home - Balls it up (i.e proxy settings) and they get re-imaged. Their iTunes - their problem. It is harsh - but we simply do not have time to ponce about with each individual laptop and the different home internet settings. Anti-virus updates automagically across the web, and we 'call in' Laptops every so often for re-imaging (because of updates, patches etc). BTW - Works wonders for your mp3 collection!
  3. Okay, just some advice please from those that know! What electronic data (by Law) should we be keeping & for how long? What electronic data does your LEA demand that you keep & for how long? Do you have a school policy on this? Thanks
  4. Term Time - Shoes, Trousers and a Departmental T-Shirt (ICT Support + School Logo) Out of Term - Trainers, Departmental T-Shirt & Departmental Tracksuit bottoms (School Logo) Both covered with a Fleece - Yep thats a school one too (ICT Support + School Logo)
  5. We are about to buy LanSchool and heres why: - Its simple to use. Why do we need all the fancy features (that confuse first time users - and take ages to learn) when our networks do most of these things already? BTW - Can we move the school manager / support staff stuff to another thread?
  6. As my father once said to me about being married: - "You'll always be in the sh*t, its just the depth that varies"
  7. Try Comms-Express
  8. Table Tennis here.
  9. Google is your friend - 2nd hit: - How to back up and recover Outlook Express data
  10. I've just started looking at LT Auditor......... Altman Technologies
  11. Why cant you complete the reg?
  12. SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 Download Need to register though.
  13. @CyberNerd I cant say just yet. I would like to get the project approved by those above me first. But it has to be SLED - not even OpenSUSE.
  14. Christ - posted @5.24 - reply @5.26 Thats quick!
  15. Just thought I'd ask as I might have an interesting project ahead of me.
  16. Nobody has local admin rights on any network workstation / laptop (we regularly image them - software updates, patches - fixes) But - what we term as 'staff laptops' the staff use as local admin - BUT - if they come to me for repair, upgrade, or even for a 'health check' (or AV is out of date) they are imaged with the latest version. The staff are 100% responsible for the data that is on them. Laptops are for staff to write reports, create resources etc, etc - Not for ebay, personal banking, or for their family / friends to use.
  17. ZenWorks 8) 8) 8)
  18. You dont like Novell, webman - any reason why? (I'm Interested)
  19. We have a slightly different solution. Caught by securus go to HOY - then onwards up the chain. 3 Strike rule etc, etc. Serious cases are given to Pastoral, with ICT related (ie hidden proxy sites etc) to Director of ICT. Now, I do have the power to ban - but not for periods of time. The objective is to get them to come into the office to see us for a 'little chat'. Normally for things like MP3s, excessive pictures in their H/Dirs etc, etc. We then record names etc - 3 strike rule gets them onto the 'ICT Job Board' They have to pick a task, Or they can opt for 'Random Teacher'. Works well for us.
  20. Here's a Start
  21. daveyboy

    Mac Vs Vista

    Oh Dear. I can see that getting out the 'Microsoft Comfy Zone' does not bode well with some.
  22. Hummmm................Although not quite the same, but maybe this helps: - Right, we have NW 6.5, Proliant DL380's, Ultrium 960, using BE 9.1. To get the right speed AND to stop SCSI bus timeout's we added a different SCSI card (HP's own - I'll look up the model tomorrow) - It was all down to the correct driver (a seperate download) and an updated nlm. Update to the latest service pack from Symantec - I'll check our version tomorrow too. Hopefully I've still got the links that I'll post here. @Rowan / Mike (I know you read these forums ) Anything to add?
  23. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr - @£{|*"?^:*$£* and dont forget (^&$(£"":{}@£ Nuff Said.
  24. Just a suggestion: - Check the date and time on the laptop. I've seen this happen on one of mine where the time & date was way out.
  25. Oh, I forgot I'm planning to use mine to show the students simple networks........
×
×
  • Create New...