Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

rob_coles

Members
  • Posts

    235
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by rob_coles

  1. We've gone from 100 or so printers to 26 contacted MFP. We're using pcounter at the minute but moving to Papercut in the summer. We are cutting back further in the summer to just 16, which includes 3 larger photocopiers. We've reduced printers/costs and admin time significantly. We only have a single printer that isn't under contact but that's for printing cheques.
  2. We just make sure staff use the freeze button. Most seem to
  3. Upgrade your smoothwall to the edition with firewall. It has dhcp etc. We have one network card sat on guest vlan doing dhcp + default gateway. We have ours auth via radius using network username & password. The smoothwall acts as bridge & firewall. Regards Rob
  4. How are the buildings connected? Doh says in the initial post.
  5. It was something I read while implementing vlan's on our site. VLAN Security White Paper [Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Switches] - Cisco Systems
  6. 1. It's recommended. 2. not sure about that one. 3. If you are pushing more than one vlan down your ap's they would need to be trunked. Also, We used location based vlan's/ eg IT Suite, Upper School, etc etc, and then Guest Wifi internal etc etc.
  7. Thanks for all your comments so far
  8. Is anyone using these to provide internet? We've recently got a quote and its significantly cheaper than others we've had. I'm stuck on the buy cheap buy twice at the minute. Rob
  9. We have one guest for both student and staff. We set ruckus to auth via wpa enterprise from the smoothwall box which then filters from ad groups. Thus having the same filtering on both guest & network side.
  10. I would be interested in anyone using this also.
  11. We've used a few older servers for backup using freenas. Nothing critical but useful all the same
  12. Password Control
  13. Can you pm me the address please
  14. Format Factory Home Page - Free media file format converter
  15. ^ well if your interested let me know, also got plenty of d-link switches
  16. How many are you after Nathan, We've recently upgraded a lot of our d-link stuff to cisco and have a number of mods and switches sat on a shelf that we could flog you
  17. We use it, does what it says on the tin. We used to script it but slt like the little graphs it produces.
  18. I'll add a mac mini server to my shopping. Thanks for the input guys
  19. I was hoping to try and get away without buying a mac server as I will only going to have 15 macs, I'm guessing I would only need a entry level server?
  20. I'm trying to get one of our mac's (10.7.3) on our windows network. So far I've managed to join the domain & home folder is getting mapped by smb. with thanks do the doc posted on here Is there anyway to map the drive via smb without creating the shell folders? (Desktop Documents Downloads Library Movies Music Pictures Public) I'd also like to map additional shared driver & a printer aswell if possible, can you suggest a way? Being a windows admin is there anything I'd need to do to lockdown the mac to stop fiddling? As you'll prob have guessed I'm very green as far as macs are concerned. Thanks in advanced.
  21. I'm just running a full backup of the server/sql's just in case thanks for your assistance It's going to be a few hours to complete will post back when completed.
  22. While im thinking on is there any distro that will sit happy on a hyper v server?
  23. intranet:~# df -h; mount; cat /etc/debian_version Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sda1 71G 64G 3.9G 95% / tmpfs 1014M 0 1014M 0% /lib/init/rw udev 10M 752K 9.3M 8% /dev tmpfs 1014M 0 1014M 0% /dev/shm /dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro) tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755) proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev) sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev) procbususb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw) udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755) tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev) devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620) Im getting the feeling that it's prob going to be better to install fresh (current) and migrate. If I was to start afresh would you recommend debain again or try another distro? Im fairly limited using nix just tend to google how too's which works wonders.
  24. Will check first thing in morning
  25. We've got a debain server hosting both our website and moodle installation. It's been running now for a few years stable until recently. Our moodle has surpassed our hd capacity. Got a spanky new hd for it to sit on is there any quick simple way to ghost move the installation on the new drive? Suggestions please,
×
×
  • Create New...