Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

solitaire89

Members
  • Posts

    352
  • Joined

Everything posted by solitaire89

  1. Yes, we are using sp3, but the first time we had the issue, I believe we were at sp2 (don't quote me though ) I haven't tried that tool - will give it a go! Many thanks
  2. Nope, there's nothing that anyone does to trigger it that I can tell... I've had mine go twice over the last few weeks, and I can't see any pattern yet.
  3. I can't reproduce it either... As I said - utterly and entirely random. And we employ the same "fix", but still have to re-do the e-mail and re-direction. We're a "whole way through" school - babes in arms to VIth form... And yes, lots of roaming! If you could keep me posted, that would be great - Thanks
  4. Eh?! Not as such - but am I still going to be in the situation where it fixes the immediate problem, but not the root cause? ARGH - KILL ALL ROAMING PROFILES!
  5. Simple answer - I don't know. I don't know if the issue occures at the last log out with the good profile, or the log in immediatley before the screwed one is applied. There are never any error messages at all to suggest that anything is out of the ordinary, not when it first displays the issue, and not when they log back in with the odd profile. And yes, you are correct that it roams with them until fixed. Yes, 'delete cached copies of the roaming profile' is enabled (Please note, I didn't set this up, so please bear with me, I'm learning all this as we go along... ), and I can't see any others, except "prevent roaming profile changes from propogating to the server" is disabled how did you guess??!!
  6. The problem is that once the profile has gone - it's gone. Subsequent logins from the user just give fast log in speeds with a dodge profile. That profile then follows them round from machine to machine until it's fixed...
  7. We are in the process of setting it up for SMT and for some of the admin girls. We're linked with several schools abroad, and it's a lot cheaper than the phone bill. As for the admin girls, I don't have an extn in my room, and they call my mobile at the moment, so again another cost saving exercise.
  8. I agree - poor explaination if that IS what they were on about. Hmm... If that's on the local machine though, I've run hive cleanups before (for other reasons), and that doesn't fix it. Would it?!
  9. Thanks, wil have a look. Time - not at work, patience - definatly, I'm a it tech!
  10. That's the conclusion that I've come to... but like I say, I know precious little, so I'm prepared to be told I'm wrong Now things are different, and I'd be asking for details and to be shown. Except we have no support at all....
  11. Haha - I get the feeling that there would be one person who would notice... And that WOULD be dangerous. Maybe when he's off sick......
  12. As to do we need them - I'd say no, but other people in this place would disagree... I'm only the technician you see We do have a backup copy, but it's actually quicker to recreate it - that's how little there is there. But obviously 10 or so a day take up time
  13. Ahhh... tell me more........ That's ringing something in the back of my head........ But I don't know why...
  14. I'm glad you're saying the samething about the "database" - I thought I was missing something really simple when I couldn't find anything about it!! I do go round periodically and remove the profiles, but I didn't know there was a better way.... Thanks! As for the size of the profile, it makes no difference in this case (it does when we have the odd one or 2 go, but this is on a completely different scale!). Sorry to sound thick - I'm afraid I would know how/where to check, and I have no one to ask here... But if it IS that, then why has the issue only reared its ugly head again recently? Wouldn't it be doing this all the time?? EDIT: Have just had a sqint - we have "files or programs from the share will not be available offline"..., so I guess not.
  15. Wondering if anyone could help me, please! I have a problem with roaming profiles going, well, for want of a better word screwy! We're using server 2003, and xp pro workstations. The profile should redirect the My Docs to the user's home folder, hold anything on the desktop (which should be nothing, but occasionally there's some odds and sods), and contains the e-mail setup (but not the actuall pst). In a nut shell what happens is this: A user tries to log in. The log in takes ages (we're talking 5 mins or so), and when it finally gets there, the roaming profile appears not to have been applied, i.e. the my docs reverts to a local temp file, e-mail fails, and interestingly, the appearance scheme reverts to grey windows classic, with the standard blank desktop (we don't stop kids from changing their desktops or the appearance - not my decision). It's easily resolved by just recreating the profile folder on the server, redirecting the my docs and setting up the e-mail again, but at the moment we've got about 8/10 or so going each day, and all I seem to be doing at the moment is recreating them! There is no link with a specific machine, or with an OU. It is entirely random. Whilst I can accept the odd one to go on occasion as it's being passed back and forth so often, there are just too many going for there not to be something else lurking. When I first took on this job, we had the exact same issue, and after numerous calls to our then support company (they tried to say is was user error - on my part), they eventually came out and agreed that there was an issue, and fixed it. I didn't know anything at all then (I know precious little now ), and they explained it to me in some very cag-handed way... In that "there is a database where the roaming profile is mixed with the machine profile, and it needed to be recreated as it had gone corrupt, and that was causing the output to be off"... Means nothing to me now either. I've tried looking on the call sheet to see what they did, but it's about as helpful. I'm sure someone will know exactly what they were talking about, but whatever it was that they did, I need to do again! Can anyone help me please?!
  16. I beg to differ, there may be no scientific evidence to prove it (how would you go about it?), but when I look at my exercise books that I found in the loft during my recent move, kids' work today is not a patch on it, and I wasn't one of the best in the class by a long way I can see that we're not going to agree though, so call it quits and we'll both stick to own opinions?!
  17. But when it changes the meaning of what is being said? I'll accept that languages will evolve, but to use that as an excuse to be lazy? I worry that I've read science based final year uni dissertations, where there are so many mistakes that the entire context has been changed entrely. Half the time I wonder if it is because people don't read what they've written to see if it actually makes sense. Let's face it, I'm sure we will all have read things where we've had to re-read it because the grammar changes the context of the piece entirely. At this point please feel free to insert the quotation about the panda. What I'm trying to say in nut shell is that standards are falling. The standard of the work produced by children today is certainly of a much lower standard than when I was at school.
  18. I think that there is a general deterioration in the English language as a whole. I'm not saying that having handwriting lessons would change that on it's own, but would it be a start? There is so much that is "mangled" in spoken English, that when it's put down on paper (or in "e-form" come to that) it bears no resemblance to what it started life as. As an example: "Should of" is very often written instead of what it actually should be - "Should HAVE" Is the loss of handwriting lessons also the loss of learning express oneself correctly in writing??
  19. You have my sympathy. Our previous neighbours were similar - there used to be music paying at all hours of the day and night. It was so bad that during the day cars would pull up to locate the source of the noise. The one member of the family was a drug dealer and we had a couple of dawn raids in the time we were there. Another member of the family was an alchoholic - he was found dead in the woods behind the house in the weeks before we moved out. We did manage to stop the noise though before we found out about their "habits", not sure it's a method I'd have tried if I'd have known... We were just REALLY nice to them. To begin with they were really embarassed when they saw us, and then they started apologising, and in the space of about 3 weeks, the noise was pretty much gone. May have been more luck than judgement though We've moved now though - have heard from other people we've kept in touch with from the area that they've gone through a "noise-relapse".
  20. That's a stunner! We have a pair that nest somewhere near us. Don't get to see them that close though - the best we get is when they sit on the roof of the house just behind us. Great photos!
  21. Nah, it was superglue that was developed for sticking skin back together (in Vietnam I seem to recall, but no doubt someone will correct me.....) It works fine for me Besides, insulation tape falls off too easily - ductape anyone?
  22. Oh dear - I shouldn't tell you guys what I wear for work. Oh hell, why not - let's challenge a stereotype! I wear a skirt suit 9 days out of 10, and at least 2" stillettos. I have no problems in crawling under desks in that get up, and not flashing my backside to the world in the process... I do agree with the comments about her stupid hair though - mine's short, so no issues there As for getting dirty - mine's a cheap suit that gets thrown into the wash when required, and hair and skin do wash quite well
  23. What sort of printer is it?
  24. So that they have an idea if anyone's going to be carrying a kirpan...
  25. Here in lies the problem - Yes, I have the install point; yes, I got the msi off the cd; no, it doesn't work... It goes through the motions, and then fails, and it ends up with an error message on the target machine, which is about as helpful as a chocolate teapot (damn you m/s) I won't burden this post, as it'll take it off topic, but like I say, when I've tried my couple of ideas, I'll admit defeat. It may well not be until tomorrow though, I've got several science pracs to sort now - joy of joys. Thanks for your interest!
×
×
  • Create New...