-
Posts
352 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by solitaire89
-
Just wanted to post a final update on this one, so it can be put to bed properly, and so that if anyone else comes across a similar issue, they'll have all the relevant info - updating the Intel driver appears to have fixed the problem. We've had no blue screens at all since the updates! So, thanks once again to everyone who helped.
-
-
Me too... Like I say, new head and I think that things are certainly on the up - well, certainly for me they are, 4 years with nothing, and in the space of a month, I've been given a laptop (all be it a knackered one with no screen ) and a room that I can use (I wasn't even allowed to set up camp in the server room before). I'm happy
-
Anyone else on beta-blockers / for migraine?
solitaire89 replied to tech_guy's topic in General Chat
Careful - shellfish can be a trigger for some people... -
Thanks for that - I may have to go shopping later!!! Can you tell my training is in animal behaviour?!?!
-
Anyone else on beta-blockers / for migraine?
solitaire89 replied to tech_guy's topic in General Chat
Can't help on the blockers, but have you heard about the oxygen therapy theory??? Many docs don't prescribe it as it's "trial" at the mo, but people that have tried it swear by it. My mother is trying to get onto a trial at the moment. She was in hospital recently and on oxygen after an op, she ate something that would have usually have given her a raging cluster/migrane and it had no comeback at all -
I know someone has "joked" about iPhones, but that is exactly what our head wants us to look at... I don't quite know where he's taking this thought train, but he's got very definite ideas. He used to work in a US school before he came to us, and I think he's been talking to the guys over there. He wants to send me or the Network Manager on a course about it; I think he called it "the iPhone as a learning resource".
-
I should be interested to read that - what's it called?
-
We've had the odd few go like that after they've been in a blazer pocket with a mobile phone... No "physical" damage, but can't get anything off them at all... Sorry it's not more help
-
Extended desktop on laptop with no monitor!
solitaire89 replied to solitaire89's topic in AV and Multimedia Related
Thanks for that, I didn't know that they could have extra VGA connectors. That might be the way forward, considering that the machine can hardly be called a laptop (the battery is a gonner too, so has to be plugged in the whole time). -
Extended desktop on laptop with no monitor!
solitaire89 replied to solitaire89's topic in AV and Multimedia Related
Thank you, you've just saved me from being the colour of a small tomato Now, considering that they wouldn't even give me my own machine, what are the chances of me managing to bag one of those through work?! Thanks for the solution, I'd really like to get it up and running in a productive state -
Extended desktop on laptop with no monitor!
solitaire89 replied to solitaire89's topic in AV and Multimedia Related
Hold on... I think I've just posted a blonde thread... If there is no laptop screen, it automatically displays on the external monitor, and (in my case) Fn+F4 does nothing. BUT, if I'm right here then it was a VERY blonde moment, there is only one VGA connection on the back, adding the splitter does nothing but split the signal from that single output to go identically to the 2 external monitors attached... therefore I can't have an extended desktop. I'm right, aren't I... Oops! -
Having been the sole IT tech for 4 years, they have finally given me a machine to call my own... an old knackered laptop with no screen, running XP Pro SP3. The machine is so old it doesn't warrant me replacing the damaged screen and housing, so I've just taken the entire mangled mess off to make it safe and to get moving. It would, however, be quite useful to get an extended desktop up and running. I have a single VGA connection to play with on the machine, and if I use a VGA splitter it thinks that both monitors are 1 when I try to identify them, yet I still lose the pointer off the right side of them!! It's almost as though the laptop still "thinks" it has its screen attached. It's not urgent/essential, it would just be useful Thanks!
-
If you scroll down in that first dialogue box you will get something that says: DETAIL:.................................. What did it say there?
-
Glad that it was of help to someone else too, and glad it's not just me with evil blue screen-ness
-
I hadn't seen that thread on the AVG forum (haven't looked since it was posted ). It is only machines with the AV that are affected, so I'll see how the one that's now got the up to date intel drivers on fares. As to whether they go after sleeping, I can't answer - the teacher doesn't seem to think it's of any importance to note what happens before they go . I'll post when I've got an answer to that - I figure it could be useful to someone. Thank you for all of your help, it's been great
-
Ok, network adaptor driver sorted, and I think you're right. AVG must have a NDIS driver, I've found people who have problems uninstalling AVG 9 as it fails to uninstall said driver. I can't see it though, it's not like KAV that shows it in the network connection properties... However, I don't really want to disable the web/firewall componants as that's a whopping great gap in protection. So, I suppose the big question is... where do I go from here?!
-
wish I'd read this before attempting updating drivers... now I've lost one of the adaptors altogether! Will try disabling things on one of the ones that still thinks it has a network adaptor!! Thanks!
-
Quick update - we now seem to be coming back up to speed here, despite the snow still falling!! I've used the WhoCrashed (thanks ahuxham!), and it's showing up as the driver for the network adaptor. I'm just going to try updating the drivers off the intel site, and then we start round 2!!
-
does it affect all pupils, or just a select few? Is there any correlation between an OU and the issue i.e. can you rule out a policy being applied to a single OU and causing the issue?
-
neither did I - could be useful for removing kids fingers when they persist in beggering up the system
-
When ever anyone comes to me and says that their computer/projector etc won't turn on, I always ask if it went bang. I've never had anyone say yes yet, but they look at their machines in a very different light after that - oh the power of fear!
-
Because we're geniuses - Obviously!
