Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

alan-d

Members
  • Posts

    2,586
  • Joined

Everything posted by alan-d

  1. Thanks Plex, without looking myself, does that monitor AD replication too?
  2. Way back when Win 2k came out there were 3 tools with which you could monitor replication traffice betwwen DCs, Network Monitor, Performance monitor and (I think) Replication Monitor. I've just had a look at our 2003 servers and can't seem to find Replication monitor. Has it gone superceeded by something else or am I just going senile and looking in the wrong place? I don't really need it - just wondered where it was
  3. Is this any help? Alias /moodle "D:/moodle" Options FollowSymLinks MultiViews AllowOverride All Order deny,allow Allow from all Satisfy all
  4. alan-d

    Presents

    Jammy git 9 DVD box set of Alien and a 93 pc socket set - oh and a 2GB usb stick. Yes - socks and smellies were in there too
  5. Happy New Year all
  6. I'm not in till tomorrow but if you remind me I'll send you a copy of my httpd.conf file for you to compare. I can't remember excatly what I did at the mo.
  7. Merry Christmas to all the admins at edugeek and to all fellow sufferers of IT in schools Well Done all and I look forward to working with you all in the New Year
  8. Would coppermine do it?
  9. He forgot to mention that his shop consists of affiliated sites, some of which have suspended his account . Not that I'm suggesting that he is doing it for the money btw - we'll be blocking it
  10. LOL - classic - nice find
  11. I got that mail this morning too - no mention of thin clients or macs though Do you think they know they exist?
  12. OK - update time. Thanks to a few pointers from webman and apeo, we now have an e107 CMS setup running from the root and Moodle running from another partition. We don't have e107 linked with AD yet, I'm leaving that till we get the real server. However we have linked the Moodle login with the login for e107. Moodle from e107 is just a new site link. I havn't tried to be clever and use iframes or anything. So far it works a treat. @ edie209 - If you already have e107 linked to AD then adding moodle to it will be just as easy. Any pointers or things to watch out for when intergrating e107 with AD would be appreciated. The last time I tried it I fried the prototype site :oops: and I had to reinstall it :oops: *EDIT* That was the kiss of death It no longer logs the user into moodle automatically even though moodle is happy to use the same details as the e107 site. (Oh bugger ) A task for the morning me thinks
  13. All the best Indie - don't forget us poor soles left behind Promise to visit
  14. nah - only 2 - russ entered 4 times
  15. Thanks for that - it's what I had but it's not working so I'm obviously doing something wrong On C: I have C:\Programe Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs\CMS\news.php - which leads to the home page (http://localhost/CMS/news.php.) That works fine On D: I have D:\moodle\install.php - This should I believe be http://localhost/moodle/install.php I suspect that the windows host file is incorrect - what URL should I be putting after the IP address of the PC if it's only local at the mo? :oops: Sorry to sound thick - but I am :oops:
  16. @ webman Would you be so kind and tell me exactly what I need to put into the httpd.conf file after: Listen *:80 I have a website running from C: and I want another running from D: - single IP addy (Test setup so no DNS as yet - will have to edit host file) Between the apache docs and what you have put up top I can't work it out - btw I'm a noob at apache and most scripting if I'm honest Most kind
  17. or if exist value for location in active directory set location == active_directory(location) else set location == "go home - it's friday anyway" end if
  18. I'll let you know as soon as I can - busy sorting out crap RM instructions for QCA stuff into real English at the mo
  19. We are looking at e107 as a front end with moodle as a link from that. That way we get all the bells and whistles from e107 including a content manager if required for other things non curriculum such as staff training for example. We'll then have moodle as a VLE just for curriculum subjects. Not tested both together yet, that is happening in the next couple of days, but the idea is that we keep moodle for learning purposes and not add unnecessary tables such as calanders. The theory is we keep the number of tables accessed to a minimum when using the VLE.
  20. lol - point taken Unions won't get much of a say if it's proven to work I would imagine it would be one of those things that is phased in over a period of years and we'll see schools closing as there would be no need for them as students work from home using optical or fingerprint verification at registration etc etc etc (Come the revolution!!!!)
  21. alan-d

    Evesham

    I hope you didn't pay them!
  22. As you say most of it is motivational at the moment but the reality is that the age of pen & paper is rapidly dissappearing. Not being a teacher I can only presume that grades are improved because the student can see the spelling errors and (some) gramatical errors as they produce the work. I'm assuming that this gives the impression that quality of work being produced is of a higher standard. You are right in saying that good quality software is rare, unfortunately we are seeing more and more teachers being conned by the flashy lights and pretty colours without actually thinking about the educational value of such products. At the current rate of progress in schools there will no longer be a need for teachers as we see them now, all that would be needed would be a tutor to guide the students to teach themselves using new technologies. We are already seeing electronic examinations being piloted.
  23. Laptops for every student is a costly waste of time. We have approx 250 around school. If we had PCs instead I could half my technical staff and reduce my maintenance budget by 75%. These are the ones that are not carried everywhere by some snotty kid who doesn't care about the cost because it can be repaired 'for nothing'. If you are going to give kids 24/7 access to the basic office products and email then PDA's are probably the way to go with PCs to carry out the high end graphical stuff. They are cheaper, easier to carry around and therefore less likely to be thrown about. Laptops for all kids has been tried in a school and was scrapped due to the climbing costs of maintenence, and that was a project where the parents paid for them over a couple of years. The school paid for them initially and carried out any works not covered by warranties. Until manufacturers produce hardware the size of a PDA which can run the same type of programs as a PC it will cost thousands to give each kid a laptop.
  24. Uploaded it to my site You can get it from HERE
×
×
  • Create New...