-
Posts
2,409 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by jamesfed
-
Is there a FREE AV Solution for UK Educational Establishments?
jamesfed replied to tech_guy's topic in General Chat
We use SC Endpoint Protection as part of our EES agreement - not free but its bundled with even on the basic plan so might as well use it! As far as 'how good it is' well...it automatically updates through Windows Update, its easy to configure on my SCCM server, it emails me when it finds something and thus I have total faith in it -
Other option is to get an Xbox controller for your PC - best of both world although I only use mine for Arcade style games (never could get used to it being a life long PC gamer!)
-
Take a look at WPAD - Web Proxy Autodiscovery Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The basic idea is when your users connect to a network (be it inside or outside the school) the browser reaches out and looks for a wpad file - if it finds it the proxy settings from that file are used, if it doesn't find it then it makes a straight out connection to the internet (i.e. when at home). Easy enough to setup so long as you can spin up an internal web server and have control over your DHCP/DNS and best of all - totally transparent to your users!
-
Are you using DFS paths by chance? If so try pointing the path on your user documents direct to one of the servers that is hosting the share instead of the DFS Namespace path. Otherwise that's going on my 'strange and interesting problems pile' - like you said there does seem to be a fair bit on Google about it but nothing really conclusive.
-
*currently sitting in my local Weatherspoons enjoying the unlimited filter coffee refills until 2pm* Both the best and worst thing I have ever found!
-
What version of Hyper-V are you using?
-
I've always liked the Zotac Mini PCs - mini-PCs: ZOTAC - It's time to play! Barebones deal so slap a OEM sticker, a SSD/HDD and RAM inside and you are good to go
-
Our VEEAM physical server is backed up using the built in Windows Server Backup software Goes right over to our NAS box via iSCSI.
-
Just wondering if someone from Impero could chase through the call that I logged yesterday morning about the Impero Service crashing on our PCs and causing login times of up to 10minutes while it sorts its self out. No ticket number or anything I'm afraid but just sent the request back to your support guys Cheers!
- 1 reply
-
- 1
-
-
A guide that I made a while back on the matter - Deploying Adobe Reader 11 to the Enterprise via GPO | my world of IT A few hoops to jump through but its a pretty nice process once you think about it
-
Take a look at the Hyper-V replica technology (Server 2012 onwards - Hyper-V Replica Explained, Windows Server 2012 Style - Yung Chou on Hybrid Cloud - Site Home - TechNet Blogs) - it does pretty much what you want right out of the box without screwing around with any 3rd party software. The idea is you have 2 Hyper-V hosts setup both of which hosts half of your servers. That half is then replicated to the other server (can be configured to a replication down to every 5 minutes I believe) so in the event of any single server failing the other one just picks up the slack (make sure you have enough CPU and RAM though!).
-
I use PRTG to monitor my internal network traffic flow, you could point the sFlow sensor at your core switch which would then map out what protocols are flowing from where to where (including your Smoothwall server).
-
A guide that I have been meaning to write in quite a while! The premise goes that I wanted my users on iPads to be able to get to their personal user area/shared drives and it seems like WebDAV is the technology that Apple has gone with The great thing is it also works for pretty much every version of Windows from 98 all the way up to 8.1 not to mention clients are available for Android and Windows Phone as well. Series: WebDAV – Access Windows File Shares outside the firewall on any device « my world of IT Hope this helps some people and if anyone has any comments on how I can improve the guide (be it from a setup or security standpoint) please let me know.
-
FTTC backup line here; we're in the centre of Oxford so its pretty nippy. Right now its in its own VLAN that allows us unfiltered access to the internet for whatever reasons we may need. If we keep it maybe under review in 2 years time though when we renew our contracts as the main fibre line hasn't died once since installation.
-
Could it be that under User attribute in moodle you have cn listed instead of samaccountname? Ran into this myself a while back and blogged about it here - Moodle and LDAP authentication – login doesn
-
Deploying the Impero Client through Munki on OSX
jamesfed replied to jamesfed's topic in Network and Classroom Management
Have some articles on WebDAV setup to get to Windows file shares on iPads as well as deploying Flash through Munki on OSX as well (bit of an Apple theme!) -
Well have to burn some holiday time and thought I would get back to putting stuff in my blog! First entry of this season is how to deploy the Impero client through Munki on OSX. Deploy the OSX Impero Client with Munki | my world of IT Just to be in the clear I hold no affiliation to Impero so please test, test and test some more before following what I have here!
- 1 reply
-
- 1
-
-
Caused some problems with our Macs as Apple decided to block flash player (and so in turn YouTube) from running on any OSX machine that didn't have the very latest version! Glad that I got Munki deployed a few weeks ago as without it I would be looking at a manual roll out of the latest version (which is just a tiny increment) on 60+ iMacs and Macbooks!
-
Smoothwall Really warmed up to it over the past few months as a UTM device.
