Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jamesfed

Members
  • Posts

    2,409
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jamesfed

  1. Just wondering why its a no go to WebDAV? Its a very powerful bit of software and in my experience about as native as a iPad gets to talking to file shares. If you think its too complex (maybe) do take a look at the guide I posted not so long ago here - Series: WebDAV – Access Windows File Shares outside the firewall on any device « my world of IT
  2. Thing is I need the output data in CSV
  3. Cheers for that! Had a bit of a thought and worked out I could do it in SSIS as well (even better I might be able to use it to import the data direct into the Moodle DB without doing any extra work )
  4. Would love to have eduroam here - right in the middle of Oxford and we have uni students visiting quite often, too bad were a Secondary Academy!
  5. Little bumpy bump for the Friday afternoon
  6. Currently half way through the final setup of a shiny system of SIMS reports to auto generate Moodle classes as well as import the students/teacher into those classes. The last thing I need to accomplish to get it to work like clockwork is add two columns which say add and student (or teacher in another report) to the front of a csv export (which is automatically run through the CommandReporter feature). So what I have right now is (for example)... person_id, classname 7563, 10Re 1 3721, 11P.E. 2 and I need to it to put out something which has add, student, person_id, classname add, student, 7563, 10Re 1 add, student, 3721, 11P.E. 2 Now I've got it from reliably sources that I could use a PHP file to automatically add in the extra bits of information but would anyone have any idea on how to do it through the report its self? Will be publishing the how to as normal on my website once done
  7. I wouldn't say so much that we have a 'BYOD scheme' (in that we very much so have school owned PCs) but you would be welcome to visit us/have a chat on the phone (we're in Oxford). Can go over what we have for WiFi access, our guides for email/remote file access on any device (good old WebDAV!) and our Moodle VLE install.
  8. The Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (free) and SCCM (not free but well worth the money!) can make an 'offline install media' - its just like imaging any normal computer except it does it from a USB stick, you can build task sequences to do funky things like setting up BitLocker and installing Adobe Reader/Office (instead of building them into the image) as well. We bought some 16GB USB sticks a while back and do all our Toshiba tablets with them - takes about an hour from end to end.
  9. Took a while but at last got round to publishing the latest article - 4 SSIDs 1 Secondary Academy – Mac WiFi + Bonjour Gateway Setup For a direct link to show how to setup a Bonjour Gateway using Linux & Avahi look here - Build your own Bonjour Gateway - Spiceworks
  10. Oooh no matter All here - Deploying AirServer 1.9.6 via SCCM | my world of IT haven't tested with the latest version as yet though.
  11. I keep meaning to put something on my blog about it but never get the time The basics go is we have a Ubuntu Linux virtual machine with 3 nics on it - 1 going to our server VLAN, 1 to our Windows clients VLAN and another to the iPad WiFi VLAN. Sitting on that VM is a bit of software called Avahi (Avahi (software) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) it just rebroadcasts the Bonjour packets between the two networks.
  12. We've got it here and it works well, had to put in a Bonjour gateway between our Windows PCs and iPad SSID. Nice thing about Airserver is that we could deploy it through GPO with the licence key installed as part of it too
  13. TMG is end of life - Forefront TMG 2010 End of Life Statement | Richard Hicks' Forefront TMG Blog Not worth investing time in
  14. Got 2 minutes in then got bored of kids overreacting back to getting my shiny new E-SBC to work
  15. +1 for Exchange Online Protection, previously we were getting quite a few complaints about spam mail using just the built in Exchange anti spam and since putting in EOP we haven't had a single report of spam to the Help Desk! Keep an eye on the quarantine box though - saw quite a few emails from Exam companies and so on make their way in there until we went through and put the domains in as allow.
  16. Just been out running some training for a uniformed youth organisation today, tomorrow will be a little gym-age and a lot of Titanfall. Monday..hummmmmmm haven't decided yet!
  17. Third part now up which shows how to configure a Windows NAP server and the HP MSM to allow your domain joined Windows powered clients to connect to the wireless network - 4 SSIDs 1 Secondary Academy – Domain WiFi Setup | my world of IT It also has an example of how to setup group policy to securely push out these settings to your clients - key thing here is that with this method of authentication you don't need to go to clients individually and put a pass key in! (or have WPA-Personal keys in plain text as part of a script/other weird and wonderful deployment tool). Apologies for the delay in getting this latest post up! Hopefully I will have the time to chew through the rest using the remainder of the week.
  18. We've got it here and hate to say it but I'm not convinced; when working it works great however all too often we have the Biometric release thingys 'drop off the network' which in turn causes the application to throw up unhandled exceptions. Had NRS look at it once a few weeks back and will be doing so again in the half term. Either way its a pretty buggy bit of kit.
  19. Micro USB! WHYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!! (otherwise looks very cool)
  20. I think the 755 maybe an older model that doesn't support this (and you need MDT or SCCM to do this) but this article could help - Update Dell BIOS using SCCM 2012 Task Sequence | my world of IT Shows how to do a BIOS update on Dell PCs as part of an operating system deployment.
  21. I can recall having to update the BIOS on this model to get WoL to work - the feature was there in the BIOS it just didn't do anything.
  22. I believe (and I may well be wrong) that a lot of the spam messages that get blocked are on the '110% this is most defiantly spam' never make it to the Quarantine box to ever be inspected. The stuff that goes into the spam box is the we're 99% sure but a human should probably check anyway. Again this is what I have been lead to believe but just like you have never seen anything that says that as a fact.
  23. Second part of the guide now up looking at what is needed VLAN wise - 4 SSIDs 1 Secondary Academy – HP ProCurve + MSM VLAN Config | my world of IT In all honesty starting to feel that I've bitten off more than I can chew and there will likely be a revision to this guide once I work out how to word it all better! Next post in a day or so will look at the VLAN config on the Smoothwall and then following that how to setup things for the Windows domain authenticated network.
  24. Time for another crazy blog post series from jamesfed - Series: 4 SSIDs 1 Secondary Academy « my world of IT The basics go that over the Easter holiday my Tech and I took apart the Wireless network that was put in by a managed service provider and put it back together using every single cool feature we could think of (including the Smoothwall single sign on BYOD feature (another thanks to the guys at Support for helping me set that up!)). I hope to get this series done in the next day or so and as such stay tuned for more
  25. Sounds like a plan there is also the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit which is free to use but doesn't include the application deployment tools.
×
×
  • Create New...