pcstru
Members-
Posts
5,998 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by pcstru
-
How about Mediadrop or Kaltura? You would need to host these somewhere but other than hosting, either can be licenced for free.
-
You may be able to find a wireless timer switch. I fitted a honewell thing for my heating control and it is very good although mine would over-kill for just an immersion, you should be able to find something suitable. Ok, that explains the choice of electric. For a combi you could use bottled gas or oil. You may find it is cheaper to move and get a house that fits rather than trying to make that work but there is nothing wrong with dreaming!
-
It would probably be more convenient placed whereever the other heating controls are but it depends on how you use it. I like to be able to switch on my immersion to give the water a quick boost to support my outrageous addiction of soaking in a hot bath for hours. If I didn't do that, I doubt I would touch the timer so being in a loft wouldn't be too much of an issue (depending on how accessible the loft is), but if possible make it accessible (always keep one eye on the impact any work will have if you need to sell the house). Do you have access to mains gas? I'm just curious why the builder/plumber opted for the system that you have - perhaps it is just because it is cheap (although they could have made it even cheaper by omitting the wet loop, which seem to be the source of your current woes). Is that the loft pictured? Converting it would seem to mean taking out the supporting A beams to get the space and replacing them with something else. That will be quite expensive (compared to putting up a few partition walls), it is basically a rebuild of the whole roof!
-
That sounds consistent with the system just not having enough oomph when it is cold. It all looks fairly new so while it could be a fault, it is perhaps less likely. I'll say again, this is a wierd set-up and heating your water using the immersion has to be more efficient. To get that efficiency, it just need to be controlled by a timer. The only advantage to having the wet heating loop into the hot water tank is some redundancy. Actually using it to heat the water will be more expensive than using the immersion for the same amount of hot water.
-
It seems to be a common thread that new technology brings expectations that demand for "IT support" will be lower. The PC was going to displace the mainframe and everyone in the IT department worried about being out of a job but the fact was, more computers meant more support - not less and more computers meant more information could be processed but now the people doing it needed to be not only domain experts but needed to become literate in the technology that was now seen as part of their job. Of course it then all becomes critical to the business and with varying levels of IT literacy out in the business now reliant on hundreds of PC's (vs 1 mainframe), the IT department grew. Those mainframe experts - adapted and survived or retired, "natural wastage". IMO somewhat the same things is happening again with "cloud" (I detest the term). The availability of compute has once again been freed up from the constraints of expensive and 'difficult' hardware, this time it is the PC itself that is the mainframe and cloud frees the users from a need to own a PC. configure the OS etc, you can access your compute from any device with a browser [*1]. Once again the allure is of a world in which real people can escape from the constraints imposed by those silly people in IT and can get on with the job of processing their information with nice shiny fancy new apps or as I like to put it, they are lured by the marketing promises of Sales Sirens, first out of their depth and then onto small isolated rocky islands where the Sirens try to sell them the support services - "Oh, you want to export your data so you can ... well, we can of course help!". So for us what might that mean. Does the existence of new apps mean the death of old applications? Yes - but only occasionally, and generally quite slowly. Does it mean we can stop providing a network, identity management, firewalling, filtering and of course all the data services and bit's of string we put in place between systems so they can, with a paper cup on the end of the string, talk to each other? It seems not or if it does the transition is so slow as to be undetectable. So we have a potential for the explosion of (unregulated) apps but little scope for reigning back on the existing tech; and hey presto we have what many here are experiencing, busy busy busy! Personally I don't worry too much about the latest fashion, whether it is cloud or a VLE or whatever shiny is doing the rounds; our jobs will change but that is a big part of what we do - deliver change. The proliferation of apps used in teaching will raise the demand for support not lessen it and at some point it will be realised that uncontrolled proliferation is inefficient and unsustainable. Which starts to touch on what I really do worry about at the moment - school funding. I pretty much agree with @GrumbleDook, once the cows come home to roost (cost of ownership), the tail of an effective basic infrastructure and equipment will need to wag the dog of teaching and learning at least as far as technology in schools is concerned. That will come sooner to those exercising less control over the systems estate but in the end, unless funding changes, it will come to us all. [*1] Terms and conditions and various browser/application incompatibility apply and may induce terminal frustration in improperly configure user units.
-
It will be as @Homer says a coil inside the cylinder - the heating side of the system is sealed, closed loop. I think the grey/silver box on the pipe with the black wire is an electronic valve which should open up the heating loop into the tank when needed. You sure the noise is coming from the tank not that valve? Given that it is all electric it is a bit bizzare IMO. It is almost certainly more efficient to heat your water with the immersion because there is no loss, whereas the electric unit that is doing your radiators has to heat water and then send it into the tank, losing heat to the (uninsulated!!) pipes and your loft. It might make sense when you have a different fuel on the heating side (logs/oil/gas) but since it's all electric, it seems a bit pointless. Get a timer on the immersion heater. And Lag those pipes!
-
The vessel is usually in two halves separated by a rubber diaphragm. Red expansion vessels are for hot sealed systems, white and blue are for open systems often with potable water. In OP's system we can see from the picture that the hot water is being done by an immersion heater in the big tank and immediately above the immersion looks like some kind of thermostat (?). So if there is a problem with hot water, it is going to be reactively simple (immersion, thermostat or the controller which switches it on).
-
That is a hot water tank and the one pictured has an immersion heater fitted (the yellow thing sticking out the bottom half of the tank). These do sometimes make a noise similar to a kettle when heating the water. They can take quite a while to heat the water if starting from a full tank of cold water. The expansion vessel is to do with the heating system (I presume you have radiators) and should have nothing to do with the hot water unless the set-up is very wierd (a hot water loop from the heating system into the hot water tank). The pressure on the expansion vessel should be around 1 bar when the system is cold (and has been bled). It will go up a little when the system is hot. Sometimes people do have wet loops into the hot water tank - I have one because my wood burner has a back boiler, but I'd not expect anyone to feed that loop from the central heating (i.e. the heating system has nothing to do with the problem of hot water). Presumably the controls are different for the hot water and the heating (you can have them on at different times)?
-
Thanks for the response. How would you describe your catchment in terms of affluence/deprivation? Did you get any complaints?
-
So is anyone truly cashless? If so how did you do it? Or if you tried but failed what stopped you? As a school could you actually refuse to take cash and demand people use a service like Parentpay?
-
I was mainly thinking of performance hits but I've also had locks imposed when submitting queries - which stalled all other users. Yes I appreciate that would not be expected and should not happen but it is exactly the kind of thing that does crop up during development. I also once found a bug in MySQL that locked up the server for all of a large ISP's customers - no fix for that other than to avoid using a specific function. All of which is much better discovered on test systems rather than on a production system (I has actually tested the MySQL thing before putting it into production but the ISP was running a less up-to-date version of the DBE). Assuming you have appropriate access at the time and permissions and are aware of what is going on. Someone submitting a query from a remote powershell session may not. They may not even realise they are having an unexpected impact. Everyone runs SQL against production systems - what would be the point of an SQL RDBMS unless they did that? No bank does 'development' against those production systems. While a schools MIS is not generally big in the scheme of things, you can still generate very large result sets; think the multiple daily marks for attendance for students as an unconstrained join with student details and then assessment results. Here, that might generate many billions of records. I might agree it is fairly low risk but the expertise of the people at the end of the keyboard is variable. I have 30+ years experience working with databases - everything from DBase through MySQL, MsSQL, Oracle, Postgres NoSQL etc, and I still manage to make mistakes that could (and occasionally do) inconvenience people, so it seems reasonable that others with less experience might hit the same or similar issues. But perhaps that is delusion and I am just simply *r*p at it - I might be subject to Dunning-Kruger effect and simply not be equipped to know how unskilled and knowledgeable I am. Maybe.
-
GDPR Data Protection and Memory Sticks
pcstru replied to ITGURU's topic in Data Protection & Information Handling
In terms of the principles it seems no more so than now, which is to say yes *, if devices are portable and might reasonably be accidentally lost. * it might not be explicit in terms of primary legislation but if you look at the rulings of the ICO on data breaches, they are explicit that not encrypting data is negligent in many cases. -
Take the train up to Mallaig on the old west highland line, one of the most scenic train journeys in the world. Hire a cycle there and for amazing beaches just head south for a couple of miles to Arisaig. From Mallaig you can get a boat to some of the Islands, or just chill and explore locally by bike.
-
Take the train up to Mallaig on the old west highland line, one of the most scenic train journeys in the world. Hire a cycle there and for amazing beaches just head south for a couple of miles to Arisaig. From Mallaig you can get a boat to some of the Islands, or just chill and explore locally by bike.
-
Is dropbox allowed for student to access
pcstru replied to genesis's topic in Learning Network Manager
I think it might help to know what they are asking to use it for and how? Here we block it because we offer staff and students adequate storage options and we don't want to encourage use of personal storage for school work or data, both from the POV of DR/backup and Data Protection. -
I've been looking and am tempted. My commute is now about 15 miles which is OK but after a day at work and still feeling the effects of the journey in, it's a real struggle to motivate myself to cycle back! So I thought as bit of help might be good. I've pretty much decided if I do take the plunge, I'll be looking at crank rather than a hub motor but that drives the price up by a fair chunk ~ £2K for a Cube Reaction with 250W motor seems quite a lot for a bike although if I used it every day (no chance!) it would pay for itself very quickly. However, I'm still not quite sold on it and ... well, it might not be a great time to spend savings. Ho humm. [ETA - might be of interest ]
-
This (reddit post) may interest you too then. I'd never watched Sherlock so I started from Series 1 last week. Excellent stuff.
-
The huge red flag for me is : "Please be aware that by returning the completed customer requirement form you are committing your organisation to purchasing the devices at the end of the process." So I submit my requirements, next thing I know is they have awarded contracts which are not good value but I submitted requirements so I'm stuck with buying. What am I missing?
-
How about emphasis on fitness in the heading - something like : "play fast fun game, keep fit, make new friends", tap into some of those resolutions prompted by seasonal excess! A picture of ladies playing might help attract the attention of your target audience enough to then get them to actually read the text. I'd consider loosing the "just bring studded boots" - it is a barrier to entry, something people can use to disqualify themselves in their own minds. You probably don't really care what they turn up with the first time, even if they manage to turn up totally inappropriately dressed it is an opportunity to show them around, meet the people, charm them and hopefully they will come back!
-
Perhaps I'm not parsing the last sentence as you intended. The surge might be half an order of magnitude bigger than the normal draw, your sentence seems to suggest the surge would be an order of magnitude smaller. So you might have each charger which normally draws ~0.3A, but at start-up that might push up to 1.5A (or more) so 14 energising together might pull 21 Amps or more for a short period. That's on the AC side so we have another difference between the input and output numbers - stated inputs are RMS and the draw is a reactive load which is trying to alter the phase and amplitude of the input. Now, what else is in circuit might contribute to how that happens and what that looks like to a breaker. If we pull an AC circuit waveform so it looks like a DC for a short time the current is no longer RMS and you breaker may see that as even more current being drawn. So that 21A AC might look like 30A+ for a very short time. But that is a lot of maybe ... it all depends on the detail of what is actually happening in the circuit at OP's site. It could be an earth leak for all the info we have and the only way to be sure is to measure what is happening which is probably beyond what most of us are legally allowed to do.
-
Startup surge for switched mode power supplies can be 4-5 times the rated draw of the optimal operation (for a very short time as caps charge and coils energise). I'd guess the 1.7A figure relates to the ~110 volt end of the acceptable input rather than 240V but 14 chargers energising at the same instant might just push a breaker beyond it's limit, even though the started power draw should be well within the capability of the circuit. But from what is written it could be an earth leak; I'd agree with getting a qualified electrician to diagnose and remedy the problem.
-
The insurance company don't care what the cause is, they just care that you are in some way involved. In some ways that (IMO) should work well - as a motorcyclist I believe I'm responsible for avoiding other peoples mistakes and if you are driving defensively with good situational awareness that should be entirely possible (if it wasn't, I would not get on a bike). However, statistically Insurers claim there is a link between near misses and accidents; the more near misses you have, the more probable it is you will have an accident. So if your black box is recording a lot of emergency braking, they may rightly consider you a higher risk without needing to know anything about who was at fault (or how blame would be apportioned).
-
I have a Walkera Wk 2801 pro Tx + Rx. I had intended to use it for a quad but I've now switched to a Specktrum tx for heli's so will likely stick with that from now on. So if you like, make me an offer for the WK20801.
-
How important is it to have good equipment in the tech field...
pcstru replied to madmin's topic in General Chat
Define what a "good" business case looks like. Fundamentally, a good business case may not create actual money and even if it can be shown to save money, often that saving will be some 0.n FTE - so it is unrealisable in practice. IMO it is our job to make things that are "must have" requirements possible, not necessarily to make them as 'efficient' as possible (partly because the concept of efficiency in the context is often hugely complicated and difficult to objectify). -
How important is it to have good equipment in the tech field...
pcstru replied to madmin's topic in General Chat
I bought my own keyboard because I can't stand the cheap rubbish we throw at our users (but I completely understand why we can't buy everyone a nice keyboard and why it will make no difference to many). In the main while we obviously have to have what we need to do our jobs, there are (or should be) some other considerations. I worry a little about technicians being out of touch with the user experience as well as setting precedents which people will inevitably get upset over - "well, I need X to do my job too!". For things like running VM's I'd rather throw the money at a server which could be used for such testing and which in an emergency might be useful to pick up workloads from failing hardware. I also think if I had jobs which were regularly "maxing out the capabilities of my machine", then running them on my machine would be a negative impact on my performance; I might be better off with a dedicated machine which could be slower but just get on with churning through the tasks while I get on with something productive. In software development I've rarely needed all the power of a machine (with a couple of notable exceptions mainly involving multi body physics simulations) and IMO faster machines can slow developers who become too lazy to actually look for errors with their eyes and minds and instead hit compile and run and get sucked into an iterative process where more and more time is simply spent looking at compiler progress. That said, it is important to keep people 'happy' and sometimes that itself is a good enough reason to push the boat out a little further than might be though strictly (functionally) necessary.
