-
Posts
1,314 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by dwhyte85
-
CALS and a front end to 'login' or effectively just map drives?
-
None of your machines came with OEM licensing? It'd be a pain but if any came with OEM XP licensing/Vista business (downgrade) or even Home at a push and some shell for logging in... and buying yourself a few more cals... it's better than losing the functioning of the schools IT because of the steep learning curve.
-
GingerManBearPig - take it easy... i'm poo.
-
:-P :-D
-
pwned me :'(
-
Does London Waiting apply to Twickenham?
-
RE: BSF comments Based on the comment given for the removal of BECTA and letting schools deal with it themselves, this could be a sign of good things? The other flipside of this is Cons do like a bit of privatisation... When will the second wave of cuts be? Also, the above post... truth!
-
open like it doesn't have a roof or walls... that sounds like a way to save money
-
OK, i'm being dim. Can someone define an open school?
-
Although I oppose the managed service part of the BSF... mainly as it has an effect on me and I don't think it can be considered a one size fits all solution (IT, that is) our school really needs modernisation. We have temporary builds scattered used as extensions to our school, piggybacking off of existing resources within the school. To fix our current main building would cost an awful lot, it'd make greater sense to demolish and re-build. IF BSF goes, what are the other options? PFI? How many people want to lose control of the school they run?
-
I've dealt with Jason, he was OK but I've never had any major orders or anything.
-
Server Virtualisation Project Proposal
dwhyte85 replied to gshaw's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
Hyper-V is a bit limiting in some ways, had massive issues with network cards on 2003 server installs... it seems to like 2008 better, so I guess it's a little bit limiting in terms of OS hosted. I'm sure you already know this but I didn't rtfm and lost my horny with Hyper-V when it didn't support the NICs from 2003, didn't want to allocate it's own physical NIC -
StudyWiz looks like they're gone so where to next?
dwhyte85 replied to HodgeHi's topic in Virtual Learning Platforms
Feel free to re-open ANY of my several closed tickets that were not resolved satisfactorily. I had no response regarding my continuing issues with Webdav - as I recall his response was upgrade the RAM on the box... to my reply of total disbelief. You have my number, call me to discuss. -
Hello, Had a script copy the DLL to C:\Windows\System32 This is the reg bit Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Audacity\Audacity\MP3] "MP3LibPath"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\lame_enc.dll"
-
StudyWiz looks like they're gone so where to next?
dwhyte85 replied to HodgeHi's topic in Virtual Learning Platforms
We've had no downtime from that, I'd be shocked if you just faced the issue, it'd be presumably global? Unless it's so shoddy that it pulls once, fails and waits a day to try again and you were just very unlucky. We've had no support though! -
StudyWiz looks like they're gone so where to next?
dwhyte85 replied to HodgeHi's topic in Virtual Learning Platforms
I'm in the same position but we host internally which is a little bit different. Studywiz bumped up the renewals and have been bugging me through e-mail, I have a mobile number and an e-mail address for them if you'd like them, give me a PM and i'll pass them over. The person I dealt with before works for another VLE now. I am worried with a total transfer and with likely BSF looming I'm going to have my time involved with other things, I've shown that moodle can work for us but to get the content from our Studywiz (we had a monster drive to get staff to use it) would take us ages. It does look as though Studywiz is going down the pan, the crud about implementing a framework, no tel support is OK if you get a response from the helpdesk within the agreed SLAs, as far as I was aware our SLA was within 7 days and I haven't had a response regarding webdav since.... October. -
Audit trail would ask for more than one quote to find the best quote? Do you mean if the outsourced IT get 3 quotes... or do you mean using one reseller is OK?
-
I thought schools went through strict auditing... I know we do, any large expenditure must go through 3 or more suppliers, in my case anything over £3K. Even with an outsourced IT provider should a school be allowing sole suppliership of goods?
-
Further info, first application failed. Second is underway, RtD is fairly soon and expected delivery is 2013 for development start and first build complete 2015. Of course, all depends on whether it goes any further.
-
Hi clarknova, The first post - no you dont change the config files and just follow the guide, it makes a change on MySQL saying any IP/Host can connect with root user. PHPMyadmin is a cool web gui, i like it - if you know what you're doing, install it :-)
-
If you don't have PHPMyadmin e.g., http://fogserver/phpmyadmin as a control panel... MySql: Give Root User Logon Permission From Any Host - How-To Geek You need to connect to MySQL for the above. If you have PHPmyadmin let me know and i'll make some screen grabs.
-
Hello, On MySQL have you allowed connections for any rather than just localhost for the user root? Cheers,
-
Hi Stariq, I actually have an opensource survey system setup - boss wants what he has online, tried to explain the system he has is not great (they used to employ someone for 20 hrs a week to administer it!).
-
Does anyone know if any exist? The school currently has a very, very poor system which is not really convertable into an online system. It works as below for us... I don't understand how/why they came up with this idea for it working! Admin staff will send out an e-mail asking for feedback from all classes the pupil participates in, class teacher goes to an area on a shared area, find the relevant spreadsheet (named by form group) & fill in the feedback. The problem is... staff aren't happy as they have to jump between spreadsheets as they have pupils from different forms. Admin staff then collate and make a report for each form tutor.
-
Hello, Can they be in a separate workgroup or do you really want them on the network/domain? We have netbooks (NC20s and NC10s) on the domain, it's pretty slow - I knocked up a VBS script after shamelessly editing other peoples code to copy mapping of drives, proxy settings & changing My Documents to the correct path... works far better and from XP Home as opposed to Pro so saving us on licensing but did need to buy more CALs. Netbooks are a lot smaller and they seem to be more durable than the low-spec Toshibas we have, althought we've noticed issues with power buttons on the netbooks. Another consideration is battery life, unless you're planning to plug-in the Celerons might not last too long on battery and off of battery they would be at a lower CPU speed and probably perform around the same as the Atoms?
