Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

dwhyte85

Members
  • Posts

    1,314
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by dwhyte85

  1. Where is the man the **** up option on the poll?
  2. For all the bad things they've done this goes partway to fixing it.
  3. Who gives a .... who employs them, if they're not up to the job they shouldn't be in the job! I've known teachers to be sacked with no job to go to, that's tough but that's life - I can't understand why they're so protected?
  4. @jamesb - so an honest one ;-) @Localzuk - I know for my interview here they wanted to know how many times I was late, our school has a sign in policy and sign out policy - surely that'd be evidence towards it. I understand what you're saying though with the iview when they take a class... we had an example of that, the chap was kicked out after a term. I guess the issue with the supply teachers is that like IT supply, you get what you're given... To be fair we have current SLT who are absolutely shocking teachers but because of roles in other schools they were given that sort of trust (AND SALARY!) - I guess that's an example of re-use from another school and it is very frustrating, just because somebody was say... as asst headteacher doesn't necessarily mean they were good at it. Although I don't like the conservative viewpoint on only first class degree teachers... they have the right idea, too many people go into teaching because it's 'easy', within time you get a good salary, pension and every year good holiday benefits. We have TAs and technicians staff with MSc, PHDs & they're treated terribly... we have teachers with a desmond from bucks chiltern who are SLT, 7 years experience and have no classroom control... what can you do? It's not all about degree but it has to be more selective & it has to be something continually improved upon.
  5. Surely, if they're removed from a school they should have feedback for the new jobs e.g, references stating why... I've heard you can't give a bad reference but you can certainly give an honest one?
  6. I thought that was the point of performance management / appraisals with targets - our school has an absolutely huge turnover in staff, teachers are removed if they don't do what they're supposed... albeit at the end of terms, it happens. Our headteacher is brutal but an absolutely fantastic leader.
  7. Close to what I put :-)
  8. I think it's particularly smart and a step forward: 1) Government then can say 'this is what the people wanted'. 2) It actually gives us involvement, we have a say in what is done in our country. I believe in referundum & this is definitely a step forward... providing what people say is taken under consideration and justifications are given for why things aren't done as well as why they are done. That's my opinion.
  9. I will contact again Monday morning.
  10. In all honesty, if your headteacher doesn't see the value in your ability and what you're doing, you're best to look elsewhere - you can make a point, whine and complain but at the end of the day he is the decision maker and from experience those in charge can be very stubborn. I don't know the specifics of your network so it's hard to give a good answer to what you're worth and to be honest none of us are in a position to tell you that, but I think it's been said... £15k for a secondary isn't that easy to get in some areas, we advertised around this amount for a trainee technician and we do an awful lot of less than fun jobs, not quite labels but not far off it. I think you're in a difficult situation as although you're probably right that you warrant more money with the financial situation it's not quite as easy as bunging 2-3k on a salary. I'd look elsewhere while you push your case, it's all you can do - I don't know if you hold quals or a degree but sometimes that can help in getting more money within a school.
  11. I am looking... and i'm a liking.
  12. HodgeHi... I've been waiting since last May... I don't hold much hope but I hold hope for your response.
  13. Yes, my issue is that it was sold as working for windows xp... I am using intermediate software to get it to work but the issue is licensing.
  14. Got that e-mail but didn't realise quite the state they were in, after initial contact from the chap in this thread nothing has been done and to be honest... we've just accepted webdav does not work how it's supposed to.
  15. i've only just seen this... eek.
  16. Maybe they're trained to be like transformers and turn into ninjas on command?
  17. Certainly very pretty... but I like plain google... i'll use blackle from now on, that's supposed to be good for the environment.
  18. I guess it depends to what extent, if you were to say "XYZ SUCKS!!!11one" it would be pretty harsh, we all have bad days... but to say "XYZ Sucks, the boss is a _____ and i hate every single person within the organisation... and they suck at what they do" that's probably quite fair for an employer to be upset...
  19. Just to add... I know of 2 instances within schools where a "I hate my job" like comment has resulted in a warning, I know a few in the corporate world who have been straight sacked (although, one was doing it work time and had befriended the boss!). It's down to school policy but I really don't see any school being too pleased with that kind of comment :-) To be honest, if you're going to do it, keep it private (check privacy) and keep your work and personal life separate - don't add work colleagues as they may be friends of other work colleagues.
  20. Hi Jose, I do still have it. Send me a PM
  21. We have that sort of with our year 7s and soon to be year 8s, an integrated curriculum - no actual ICT lessons but a mixmatch, you do your ICT in Science lesson when documenting in Excel - type thingy.
  22. I meant the initial deployment / crossover dhicks :-) And you could script a product key change based on the mac address of the machine... thus, if you had in your inventory the OEM license & mac adds you could pair it that way... it's alot of effort though, i am glad i'm not yet in that position. I think he wants some unix loving & if he succesfully does this... it'd a fantastic medal of honor & save his school some cash, should document as he goes if he does it
  23. I got our tech to write down every OEM license onto our inventory or photograph it... Get a contractor in for a few days to help you.. a few hundred £ vs £££ and all that ... but of course, that wont help with the lost serials because the kids peeled them off :-P Linux is not something you could do lightly, based on our ICT teachers they'd probably leave, if it isn't in Access, Publisher or Excel then they don't do it... I daren't think about other issues with software like SIMS, that app the English teacher bought without telling you etc & and that dodgy piece of software the spanish teacher uses... In terms of shell, something that takes focus on startup of your used account, infront of task bar and asks for network credentials... maps drives based on it, log out could be a tray app or a desktop shortcut. Anyway, challenges are great... although, you have an absolute monster of a challenge let alone with training - people are very resistant to change! I imagine you'll come up with something smart :-)
×
×
  • Create New...