-
Posts
1,314 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by dwhyte85
-
I watched it, I think a problem does exist for some people... but addiction can come in many forms. That said, I thought it was quite funny and if anything it gave good publicity to WoW... the guy commented on how good it was and that it wasn't Blizzards fault he kept playing it - it's just a great game. Gaming is the new watching TV for hours on end, with a sort of social aspect... some people get addicted to that, some people get addicted to games, some gambling and some weird stuff like Manga... people who have an addictive nature get addicted...
-
Outland Horde is a good place to be, alot of adult players... you still do get bananas though.
-
I'm on Ragnaros... not the best place to be
-
[sims] SIMS SQL 2008 - How much memory do you have allocated?
dwhyte85 replied to Max_Power's topic in MIS Systems
The ESS Upgrade Utility on the site (Capita Education Support Services) has a shrink tool on the application for both FMS and SIMS, as I re-call you had to detatch through the dbupgrade utility first. The other thing is, are you holding the files on the OS partition and quickly running out of space rather than using a data partition with plenty of free space? -
It's good to call though, if you do state you can't afford something and you need a lower price sometimes they'll try to match what you can afford, I've done that with my mobile contract a couple of times.
-
[sims] FMS SQL 2005-2008 without migration tool
dwhyte85 replied to Jamman960's topic in MIS Systems
I don't know whether this will work or not and of course if it breaks, don't blame me. The technician at Capita resolved my issue with the same problem but on SIMS db by using this tool. You'd need to know the SA password though (if it'll work!). It was run on the server with the db. He went to tools and the option was there. - Just ran it, option is on it to reset sysman for FMS and SIMS under tools. -
You could run a script to sleep for a minute then check the process is running, then if it isn't - re-run the application.
-
I remember systems programming on Minix... that was on a real, simplified, dumbed down OS - I daren't think how much extra you'd need to learn for Debian!
-
Re: Acorn RISC OS Educational Software
dwhyte85 replied to castlevarich's topic in Educational Software
I remember our head of IT at Trevelyan Middle School and his utter disgust with children knowing how to cut and paste and not knowing how to use an Acorn! I know Treveleyan Middle School, Windsor used to have 2 suites with Acorns & loads of software - if anyone works at the school from here they may be able to help you - unless they binned it all. -
Beat me to it, what he said ^ Meshing can be used where no network connectivity is available. You'd mesh an access point with connectivity with one that doesn't to provide connectivity on the point with no network access.
-
I was offered to interview for this one but declined when it was previously run, you absolutely must have a CCNA (or better) as you will be leading a CCNA course at the college.
-
No world cup for England... I blame the BBC personally!
dwhyte85 replied to GREED's topic in General Chat
Well RWC is 2015... that's a fairly big event after the olympics, we can't win them all. -
No world cup for England... I blame the BBC personally!
dwhyte85 replied to GREED's topic in General Chat
I can't understand that decision AT ALL, but I guess just because they're not great doesn't mean they shouldn't host. -
No world cup for England... I blame the BBC personally!
dwhyte85 replied to GREED's topic in General Chat
I'd be more worried about the fact... that it's not necessarily the safest country, sure you could argue all areas have dodgy but... still -
No world cup for England... I blame the BBC personally!
dwhyte85 replied to GREED's topic in General Chat
Going by what the BBC said... Russia might be happy to rollover to FIFA demands and that may have been a silent factor. -
ESXi footprint is lower on resources, so in that sense you'd get more bang for your buck... I don't think Hyper-V is the best route for performance but as it's on the server and ready to go - it's a bit easier, that said vSphere is really very simple to use.
-
Snow in Slough today, roads aren't too bad unless you go down the back roads. Lots of phone calls coming to me asking if the school is open from parents because reception can't cope with the influx of calls!
-
Seen... or used Would definitely suggest checking netstat -b to make sure nothing is running locally on standard proxy ports e.g, 1080, 8080 and just to see whether any apps are connecting to dodgy IPs.
-
Hostgator... are cheap. You get what you pay for on that one, over sold boxes to the max.
-
Sorry Systems Manager access is to allow access to the individual users, the data manager is off who does this area... so i'm stuck, i had access on my account but my pw doesn't work, it looks to have been removed. If I have access I can reset everyone elses - happy days, bit of extra admin but I can deal with that. The joys of things you aren't supposed to know about but support... RESOLVED!
-
Are you using the Intel software or letting Windows control? You can set to start WiFi @ pre-logon with the Intel software - that might be all it is.
-
We have N130s/NC10s for our younger pupils and NC20s for the VI formers, they're not bad... but they are very easily damaged, even with protective casings. We have a Ruckus environment, we've had absolutely no problems. Initially I used Fog to deploy images for these machines but now, we do it one by one to check the damage on the machines - we want to get as much done whilst in warranty rather than out.
