Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

CommodoreS

Members
  • Posts

    394
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by CommodoreS

  1. I dont know what setting I have changed, but today it is working correctly on XP and making all files in N:\ show as offline. On D:\users inside advance sharing I was messing about with the Caching settings and am wondering if it could be something to do with that, although changing it back to what it was, it is still working. I am however still getting this error when users log on to an offline XP machine: "Windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming profile and is attempting to log you on with your local profile. Changes to the profile will not be copied to the server when you logoff. You may receive this error message because of network problems or insufficient security rights. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator." Is there any way to make it disappear?
  2. Ive been reading a lot about this, and it occurred to me the best option would probably be for the desktop.ini file to be deleted at log off. A quick search and I found this log off script: Redirected My Documents folders showing as ‘Documents’ rather than the users name « Weird & Wonderful IT And it works... As long as users log off correctly!
  3. Thanks for the link. It looks like it is discontinued though and the E-Mail link for AutoShare no longer works.
  4. I have tried looking for information on Autoshare but could not find anything. Do you have any more information please?
  5. Thanks for posting your setup Michael. It is always useful to see how others have configured things (although there is sometimes more than one way of doing things). For some reason I had problems with these settings you suggested. 1. Documents - Redirect to the user's home directory 2. Pictures - Follow the Documents Folder 2. Music - Follow the Documents Folder 2. Videos - Follow the Documents Folder 3. \\SERVER.domain.domain\%Username%$\Saved Searches 4. Application Data (Not Applicable) 1. When setting this as you suggested, in Win 7 I found software (Word 2003) would default to the local C:\users\username\documents folder to open and save files. This seems to correspond with Libraries>Documents which inside Document Library Locations was showing as C:\Users\username\documents as the default folder. However after changing the Documents redirection using Method 2 at When you redirect the Documents folder on a Windows Vista-based or Windows 7-based computer to a network share, the folder name unexpectedly changes back to Documents It now shows the network location (\\servername\users\teachers\username\My Documents) as the default location in Libraries and Documents and no longer tries to save to C:\users\username\documents. I just wondered how you managed to get around this by setting it as Documents - Redirect to the user's home directory. 2. When I set these as Follow the Documents Folder, I found that the Administrator on the server was not granted permissions to view these folders as a result of not being able to select "Grant the user exclusive rights to My Documents" (See http://www.edugeek.net/forums/windows-7/90460-administrators-cannot-access-users-my-music-my-pictures-my-videos-folders.html ). After I had changed these to: Basic - Redirect everyone's folder to the same location Create a folder for each user under the root path \\servername\users\teachers All 3 settings boxes ticked Leave the folder... Then when the folders were created, administrators had access to read the folders. Again, I am wondering how you got around this by setting this to Follow the Documents Folder, as I could not find another way around that problem. 3. Do you mean Saved Games? I could not find a setting called Saved Searches. Only Saved Games which you have not mentioned. 4. I have decided to Redirect Application Data. However I am unsure whether I should redirect this to: \\servername\users\teachers\username\Application Data or \\servername\users\teachers\username\Application Data\Roaming
  6. It looks like Method 1 might be the Only way to fix it with out causing the other problem I mentioned, where it then defaults to local folders rather than the redirected documents folder. I had a look for other threads which specifically mention the problem that occurs when I implement method 2, but could not find any making me wonder if anyone had this problem occur as a result of this fix and if someone had found a way around it.
  7. On a Win 2008 R2 Network I have configured Offline Files, which appear to be working correctly in Win 7. However users receive the message when logging onto the network disconnected on the XP machine: "Windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming profile and is attempting to log you on with your local profile. Changes to the profile will not be copied to the server when you logoff. You may receive this error message because of network problems or insufficient security rights. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator." Also Offline files (saved word DOC files) are not showing up on the users N:\ drive on XP when offline. Instead I am just seeing folders: N:\Application Data N:\Favorites N:\servername\servername\users\teachers\username\Application Data Also when logged on only the two folders Application Data and Favorites are showing the blue offline files icon next to them, where I think every file in the location should have this icon, considering how I have set offline files up (config shown below) and with it working correctly in Win 7. I have AD configured as: User Configuration Policies\Windows Settings\Folder Redirection\Documents Setting: Basic (Redirect everyone's folder to the same location) Target Folder Location: Create a folder for each user under the root path Path: \\servername\users\teachers Options: Grant user exclusive rights to Documents: Enabled Move the contents of Documents to the new location: Enabled Also apply redirection policy to Windows 2000, Windows 2000 server, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 operating systems: Enabled Policy Removal Behaviour: Leave contents Computer Config > Administrative Templates > Network > Offline Files Administratively assigned offline files: Enabled Specify network files and folders that are always available offline: Files and Folders: \\servername\users\teachers\%username% Synchronize all offline files when logging on: Enabled Synchronize all offline files when logging off: Enabled Is offline files for Windows XP configured differently to offline files for Windows 7, or could something else be causing offline files not to work correctly on Windows XP?
  8. Just wondering if this is also something related to Windows Libraries settings? I wanted to remove Windows Libraries to prevent users saving to the local computer, so did this using the reg file at: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/windows-7/35953-controlling-libraries-group-policy-2.html#post455659 However before I deleted this I noticed Documents under Libraries set the default folder as C:\Users\\documents and am wondering if this might be something to do with the problem (even though I deleted it using the Reg key).
  9. On a Win 2008 R2 Domain I have yet another problem and the solution creates another problem. When you redirect the Documents folder on a Windows Vista-based or Windows 7-based computer to a network share, the folder name unexpectedly changes back to Documents describes: When you redirect the Documents folder on a Windows Vista-based or Windows 7-based computer to a network share, the folder name unexpectedly changes back to Documents. You expect the folder name to be the user name. The solution is: Under User Configuration, expand Windows Settings, and then expand Folder Redirection. Right-click the Documents folder, and then click Properties. On the Target tab, configure the following: In the Setting box, click Basic—redirect everyone’s folder to the same location. In the Target Folder Location box, click Create a folder for each user under the root path. In the Root Path box, type the UNC file path to which you want to redirect the Documents folder. In the Documents Properties dialog box, click the Settings tab, and then configure the following: Click to select the Grant the user exclusive rights to Documents check box. Click to select the Move the contents of Documents to the new location check box. However when the Document settings are configured with the "Grant the user exclusive rights to Documents" ticked, when a user logs on to a Windows 7 machine and opens Word, creates a document and goes to "Save As", The default Save folder is shown as "Username\My Documents" which is a local folder on drive C. I do not want users to be able to save here, and want them to save to the Network N:\ drive. When I remove the tick from: "Grant the user exclusive rights to Documents", log on, load word, create a document and go to "Save As" the default save location shows as the users home drive "N:\", however doing this renames the users home folder on the server to "My Documents" which is not ideal. Going back to: When you redirect the Documents folder on a Windows Vista-based or Windows 7-based computer to a network share, the folder name unexpectedly changes back to Documents I tried Method 3 but it did not work, and am not sure how to implement Method 1 without making things more complex for the users. I also found this post here: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/windows-7/35953-controlling-libraries-group-policy-2.html#post474551 and have implemented this although for what ever reason the changes have not worked and the Public folder is not being deleted, as well as still being able to save files to the root of the user share (%userdomain%\%username%). I also followed: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/windows-7/35953-controlling-libraries-group-policy-2.html#post453698 but again the folder is not being deleted. Any help on this one would be more than appreciated. What have other people done to get around this problem?
  10. Although it would be useful to have a step by step for option 2 still, I think I have found a solution. In User Config > Admin Templates > System > Folder Redirection > Do Not Automatically Make Redirected Folders Available Offline Was set to Enabled. I have changed it to disabled and now am getting the desktop offline without any errors and the Word memory problems no longer appear.
  11. Yup, Users will mostly be using Windows 7, but it would be useful for it to also work in Windows XP.
  12. Whatever one works the best. Option 2 sounds fine.
  13. Sorry I should have been clearer, but I am looking for a step-by-step guide of how it would be best to configure it. Either option looks fine, but I can't figure out how to configure it like that.
  14. What is the best way to configure this then? At the moment I have the desktop redirected using folder redirection to: \\servername\Shortcuts\Teachers\Desktop Which is the share of a folder on the server where I can then place what icon I want the user to see on their desktop. I'd still like to keep this control of choosing the desktop icons, but would also like the error to disappear when the laptop is being used offline.
  15. On a 2008 R2 Network, I am configuring Win 7 teacher laptops so they can work on them Offline at home. I think I have offline files configured and working correctly but have two problems: 1. As part of folder redirection the desktop is redirected to the server. When the user logs on they keep getting the error message: Network Error Windows cannot access \\servername\Shortcuts\Teachers\Desktop Is there a way to stop this error appearing? 2. MS Word keeps giving error messages about insufficient memory. As soon as plugged back into the network these disappear.
  16. On a 2008 R2 Domain, When a teacher user logs onto a windows 7 workstation, they get an icon in the task bar for Sync Center. If they click on this, in folders it shows offline files which the users can double click on which then shows the users share: users (\\servername) Which you can then double click on and browse the users shares and folder structure and open the files of other users which is a security problem and shows something somewhere is not configured correctly. The root of the users share on the server has security permissions set for: Authenticated Users (Full Control) (I had to add this to get Office 2003 working correctly and stop displaying errors) SYSTEM (Full Control) Administrator (Full Control) Administrators (Full Control) And on the individual user folders each user has full control to their own folder. Can anyone help explain why teachers can browse and access other users folders in this way?
  17. I just found that document as well. It sounds like the problem I am having, although makes no mention to 2008 R2. If you change the setting to "Follow the Documents Folder" there is no option to select anything in settings as all the options are greyed out. I have tried changing this to: Basic - Redirect everyone's folder to the same location Create a folder for each user under the root path Adding my users share and in Settings removing the tick "Grant the user exclusive rights" This seems to have solved the problem. Still quite annoying that "Follow the Documents Folder" has this problem.
  18. Thanks for the reply. I have checked and this is already enabled in the Default Domain Policy and the Users Policy. The way I read this policy though is that it makes changes to the rights of the Roaming User Profile. These folders are being created in the Users Home Directory (by using folder redirection set to "Follow the documents folder") and not the users roaming profile - the users do not have a roaming profile configured yet.
  19. Does anyone know the link to the thread which describes how to do this please.
  20. On a 2008 R2 Server, as part of Folder Redirection when a user logs onto a Windows 7 PC the following folders are created in the users home directory: My Music My Pictures My Videos When an Administrator on the server tries to access these folders a message is displayed: You don't currently have permission to access this folder. Click continue to permanently get access to this folder. Clicking continue then displays: You have been denied permission to access this folder. To gain access to this folder you will need to use the security tab. In security tab it says: You do not have permission to view or edit this object's permission settings. Can it be made so administrators have rights to view the contents of these folders? I guess it will also cause a problem when trying to back them up at the moment.
  21. When you are working in Primary Schools with mixed XP and Win 7 systems, where some of the children can't even speak English or spell their name, using something easier like the Classic Start Menu on Win 7 systems would be advantageous.
  22. While researching today I found this: Welcome to Classic Shell It looks good, but not too network friendly as it seems each user has their own settings and some of which (such as its own settings program appearing in settings in the start menu) can't be controlled by GPO. Is anyone using this or anything like it?
  23. Also sysprep for XP is much easier than for Windows 7. For XP you just need to run setupmgr.exe in the sysprep folder which allows you to create an answer file called sysprep.inf to automate most of the setup process. I also came across some older RM laptops which would just not work with WDS, despite injecting the network driver into boot.wim. The only workaround I could find was after running sysprep (XP) instead of using WDS was to use Ghost from a Hirens Boot CD and an external USB hard drive to capture a Ghost image. To quickly apply the images I took the hard drives out the laptops, connected them to a PC, copied the Ghost image back onto them and then plugged them back in the laptops. For individual rebuilds I now just use the external USB HDD and Hirens.
  24. Other WDS related sites I found which might help you. For capturing and deploying using WDS: how can I CAPTURE an Image using WDS - www.windows-noob.com and how can I DEPLOY an image captured using WDS ? - www.windows-noob.com And for injecting Network Card drivers into boot.wim How To Mount and Inject Drivers into Windows 7 PE 3.0 | Commodore.ca | Windows And that is pretty much everything you need to know on how to use WDS on 2008 R2.
  25. I have found 2 pretty good articles which easily explain how to configure sysprep for Windows 7 at: Sysprep a Windows 7 Machine and how can I join a Domain using Windows SIM - www.windows-noob.com On a Win 7 client, I have tried using the same GPOs and config used for the Windows XP setup and everything seems to be working fine, although I expect after more testing I may find problems.
×
×
  • Create New...