Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

alonebfg

Members
  • Posts

    861
  • Joined

Everything posted by alonebfg

  1. Help I need some advice have been looking as nas boxes and want a good one open and free varents dont cut the mustard sorry I am all for it but they dont have the apabillitys that i am looking for. I have got it down to 2 companys first is qnap QNAP Systems, Inc. ( Products - NAS )- Quality Network Appliance Provider 210, 212, 219p and the second is synology Synology Inc. - NEW NAS Experience - Products 211, 211J if anyone has used and would recomend one please help cost is not so much an issue just need to work well and do the job (lin tv play movies apple itunes connection) plus loads more please help.
  2. here is a good one vacillate-MK vac·il·late Alternate or waver between different opinions or actions; be indecisive mk short for mike lol sorry if any offence is caused
  3. Can I just say I have spoke to a friend of mine that I will call Person x on the camera crew of the f1 and they told me that they have heard nothing like that but did say that they might not be rolling out f1 in hd for a while if at all due to the track cameras not being compatible and so they might abandon this idea altogether but that's all he would say. I love F1 and if anything would happen (adverts) it would kill that sport. Yes it is expensive and a big boys toys game and basically throwing money away but look at the good that has come from the sport (abs breaking impact bars.) just to mention a few. this has all come from the development of f1 cars there are a few more but cant remember of the top of my head. Here is a page for ppl that think F! is useless HOW FORMULA 1 CARS INFLUENCE EVERYDAY CARS IN THEIR DESIGN ! - NEW ZIMBABWE FORUMS look at what it has done for the everyday user this is just a few.
  4. alonebfg

    Rohos

    Rohos » Featured product Has anyone tried this product out. It looks really good as a staff solotion and gets rid of the i fogot my password issue ok there is still a pin number but that is easer to rember and with the server version can be centrelly managed. also i have tested the free version that creates a hidden partion that is encripeted. it looks really good. if anyone has tried if i would love to know about your experance. also after a email to them and a very quick responce from a real person have found out there is a 30% discount for school which makes this a cheap product and in the pendisk encripter as well and it looks really good. anyone with any thoughts.
  5. Sorry to bump this thread again looks like the lack of replys means noone is using it or it is rubbish. I have tried it on a personal pc and it seems to work fine and no worrys about updates etc as they are done automaticly. I have not seen it tested anywhere i am looking at putting on an old pc and getting infected and see what happens. I know from an admin point of view there is no control or anilist but you can purchase this and have sent a email to get some costings. I hope to report back soon with my findings.
  6. For some reason My image wont deploy I have uploaded it fine but when it comes to the deploy it dosent work it gets to between 3 and 5% and reboots for no reason Has anyone got any ideas please. I love this package. one other thing is do you have to seal xp befor image I have on on and not on another both images dont work but did not know if this controbutes.
  7. the template seems ok until it come to editing and useing it in anger It seems to throw up a couple of errors that I am looking into. One of the big problems is that using a non production model is that holes have not been pluged and if site gets hacked i would not want ppl to say well it was posted on the site and you said it was ok. But as a beta and a test bed for when it it is reliced its ok but dont use in anger .
  8. alonebfg

    fog with glpi

    Does anyone know of an addon that will intergrate glpi with fog much the same way that ocsng does ?? mainly for imaging data etc.
  9. joomla 1.6 is still in beta and not production model yet. I have been playing with it and is really good still a few bugs to iron out. One of the big things is the ACL and permissions based articales ie you can allow 1 person to edit there article but nothing else. due to this a lot of the plugins and templates have to be toally rewitten. This is no small task. I have a demo version running but not with edugeek template. I can look at it in my spare time (which is scarce). As for the edugeek template I can look at it is ok with sysman but not treadin on anyones toes. I do a lot of work with joomla and the fact it has now go acl is a big jump forward but plugin rewrites will be slow as 1.5 is stable and safe and ppl are always reluctant to try new stuff.
  10. continued bleeping usually means a memery issue. Have you tred bootingg from a cd and what caused you to need to reinstall. Could be many things the fact you can access the bois means nothing. Try booting from a ubuntu live cd and do a memtest not the best but will help rule out memery and then try to boot from it (live) if it work and you can read and write to hard drive it may be a pxe issue. If I rember some of the satalite pros need a disc to do a pxe boot.
  11. the problem is the services that are supplied can be put under different sections: 1) dont work, 2) have not been updated or bought up to date and 3) not cost effective. There are services that are supplied that can be done for free or a lot cheaper. I have done my own finance looking into it and have found out that an average school can save between £1000 and £2000 pounds on what you supply. I keep being told "but we give you Merlin" but this does nothing and does not support 90% of vle modules and so is not a virtual learning platform. SWGfL Filtering does not do the job any more - compare it with something like Smoothwall, which integrates with Active Directory and rules for different groups -including one thing that a lot of primaries have problems with - google pictures. SWGfL's answer is "block it". Many other filtering systems can redirect a safe search from google pics to a strict safe search. You just tell me it can't be done unless you've got isa or block all other searches except strict safe search. This is not easy as it also affects teachers. and as for Merlin it has not changed in years and you can't do anything with it. Even when you talk to RM they don't like it as they sell there own product which is a lot better.
  12. if you goto esi.swgfl.org.uk it will tell you all about it basiclly it gives you the option to select or deselect options that you want but is very limited and not what i was expecting they have done it to get the new consourtium bid.
  13. Trouble is we have to go with swgfl as it is only one reconised by the lea if i could i would go for broardband and filtering I worked it out that we could halve the cost if I did but not allowed to do it.
  14. I Have been looking at the new system that SWGFL offers ESI esi.swgfl.org.uk Now when it first come out I thought this is going to be really good as you will be able to remove and add services to save us money for a primay school its about £3000 a year. so i looked at diffrent parts of it and there is no way to reduce costs as according to the web they charge £49 per year for there filtering. I have looked at other things and there does not seem to reduce the cost even if i remove all the services it does not reduce the cost buy much more than £200 I dont see the point they say they are given us the option to use other filtering services there is one other on there and they charge nearly twice as much and per workstation. I think this is very unfair and not good value for schools.
  15. I have been told it is on all there equipment servers screens laptops etc i don't know how true that is but have been told its 5% so if i bought £1000 worth of equipment I get £50 for recycling and they take it away. that's good lol they pay me to recycle
  16. Sorry By main stream I mean I work in primary schools and teachers and students don't find Linux as easy to get on with and as a lot of software for them is designed for windows only ( i know it is changing active inspire supports Linux for whiteboard) most of the software use is windows based. and that is what most people are used to and change is very hard. hopefully more designer's will design it for Linux and then it wont be a problem.
  17. Over the last year I have not been well and have relied on equipment to help me and I would just like to say that Linux has to be the best OS ever I know it is not main stream and in the environment that the schools i work in would never use it as Main PCs but as a server supplying me with services. On one ubuntu server bot I have zentyal Zentyal formerly Ebox installed for storage also looking at putting the voip on it as well (future development) I also have fog for deploying and updating images on network and then i have OCS Inventory NG and GLPI - Gestionnaire libre de parc informatique for fault tracking and knowledge base as well as inventory and loans. all this is free and does not cost a penny I don't know if anyone else uses any of these I know some can be put on windows boxes but never seems to work as well and the box it installed on is nearly 6 years old and not even designed as a server but works like a dream.
  18. I have been told about a buyback scheme where after 5 years stone will buy back for 5% of original value also the is a data scrubber built into all there pcs now has anyone took advantage of ether of these if so is it any good. (trying to get best value and as all prices are about the same looking at the added value.) I have put it in green due to the fact they pay you to recycle if they buy back.
  19. I like the Idea of recyling and after reading this looking around there are a few companys that will do it for free when you buy it from them and alos some that will do it for free if you have ever bought from them and just takening to the tip (scrap man) could get you a fine of £250 up as these services are for public not busniss or schools.
  20. The problem we have is this we use a grid and because of that we have 3 proxys one normal one staff not to be used when teaching only for downloading esentials and then none for at home. getting the proxy to switch on and off is not a issue to change from one to another. at the moment i use a bat file which changes the registry. the problem this does not work with vista or 7 using a proxy.pac is fine but you are limited to the one proxy and cant change it. proxyswitch as far as i can see only turns proxy on and off. I hope this makes things a bit clearer. ( the bat fle is the origanal proxy canger from this site about 4 years ago. thank you
  21. Does anyone use this Download IE7Pro if they do whats it like and do you like it also has a proxy changer in it so I have been told.
  22. If you do and you have this av installed on the pc you are using you are protected by the bank provided you use the pin machine and the antivirus provided they will hold reset and refund your account. I have been there and they were really good it was befor pinpad came out but because i was using there av they had no issues in sorting it and transfered money back. They do recomend when banking to use the virtule keyboard and the sandbox IE for banking.
  23. I dont know if it is for home or for work but i know that for home I use kaspersky and you might say but that is not free but it is i bank with barclays and get 3 Kaspersky Internet Security latest edition IE at the moment 2010 and 1 licence for Kaspersky Mobile Security and it is both free as long as you have online banking just fill in the form. and if like me your whole family bank with barclays you get more licences ie 3 people = 9 Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 and 3 Kaspersky Mobile Security licences I know other banks do simular but as I only bank with theses I dont know about the others. You dont need to have any account just online banking. hope this helps and saves someone some money i know it has me as we have 4 pcs at home and they all got it on which would have cost me £50 pluss.
  24. as far as i know you can use it as a email server or a pop3 email filter if used as a gateway you can create vurtial domains with it and within that domain create groups users and also a egroupware profile so diffrent groups can have diffrent profiles.
  25. How long ago did you try it as they have done a lot of work on it in the last 6 months and it has changed compleatly as it now has really good intergration with ad and it gives tou the option to set that up on startup now and will allow you to sync between the servers.
×
×
  • Create New...