-
Posts
308 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Aaron
-
Is there any reason why now that pupil profiles would be on the local machine above 30mb? for some reason when i test with a pupil account there account profile is over 30mb and mine is below 6mb. The pupil account has also only got a default login taskbar not aero which i have set under gpo to be aero.msstyles for windows 7 only is there a reason why this is defaulting back to standard windows theme. I was hoping to do alot of testing before we run this in the summer and have both windows 7 and windows xp network. I dont use roaming profiles for the only reason it was terribly slow during logins compared to local profiles.
-
thank you for your reply SYNACK thats great i will take a look at this now just tested there with a pupil account and run into a couple of bugs thank you
-
Hi Everyone Just looking at moving our computers over to windows 7 using a server 2008 standard now I have seen that server 2008 r2 was designed more towards windows 7 but at the min i was going to run this on standard and use the vista gpo rules if this is possible. Really just wanting to see if anyone else has installed windows 7 on their network and what problems have they run into and also if anyone has run this on a server 2008 standard version? I have antivirus working thanks again to this site and also installed a couple of other pieces of software and so far everything seems to be working fine. Next i am going to be testing this with our pupil accounts which is were i expect to have the most problems as i have GPO set for pupils but they all use XP at present. Any help with getting this running would be much appreciated
-
Guys thank you very much for all your replies i installed the program iTACL to take a look really because it was free and due to budget constraints that i am sure we are all getting. Its great does exactly what i need it to do staff seem to really like so far today it has stopped alot of games and things being played and more and more pupils are now realising that staff are monitoring what they are doing. Really thank you for all your replies really has been a massive help
-
thank you very much for your replys great help really is
-
the price seems great am i right that you only need a license for each teacher machine that is going to view the pupils screens the pupils machine licenses are free
-
Hi Everyone I was wondering what software people use to monitor pupils machines on a network, we recently have set up a network running server 2008 and windows xp clients although we have no software to view screens similar to that of RM Tutor (bit expensive). Any information would be great
-
that’s the problem i was originally going to connect a new printer but because the only jet direct box we have here uses parallel and not USB I couldn’t connect it so I connected the printer with a parallel connection. I have just printed word art off from my account nothing else on a word page just word art and it prints perfect I copy a document from a pupils area with word art inserted and print and it doesn’t print the word art off I do the same copy but from a teachers area and again same thing doesn’t print off word art
-
Hi thank you for the reply Yes i have tried that but still the word art wouldnt print.
-
it is really a strange problem i thought that it was a diver issue but when i download a driver like the vista driver because we are using windows xp machines they stop seeing the printer on the server and nothing prints to it again until i change the driver back to server 2003 or windows xp
-
Yes when i look at a print preview the word art is there
-
Thank you for the reply, this is the strange thing we originally had this printer connected to a laptop and never had a problem with it, this seems to have only happened when i have added it onto server 2008 and shared it out to all the windows xp. The printer was connected to a windows xp laptop before that and printed just fine.
-
I am using a jet direct box to connect the printer to the network then allocate it out to all machines
-
Thank you for your reply, We are using office 2007 and i double checked in office 2007 to make sure that print background colours and images was ticked and it did the same problem.
-
Hi everyone hoping someone can help me with this. I have a HP DeskJet 1280 printer which i have installed on Server 2008 and allocated out to a suite of XP machines there is a small problem when it comes to printing. For some reason the printer will print images and text but doesn’t seem to print out word art I have tried this on a number of different accounts and does the same thing even tried a new word document and just added word art and it printed out a blank page. the driver that is installed was off the HP website HP PCL Driver 3 and I was on looking to see if I could get a another driver to try but they don’t have anything for server 2008 I had to use the server 2003 driver. Anyone have any ideas about this problem any help would be much appreciated
-
Preventing File Extensions through GPO
Aaron replied to flexyjerkov's topic in Windows Server 2000/2003
which software restrictions have you in place to stop this? -
Preventing File Extensions through GPO
Aaron replied to flexyjerkov's topic in Windows Server 2000/2003
Hi Everyone. Can someone please help me with this small problem, we have started a legacy network in our school and has been running from September with little problems here and there but nothing that hasn’t been able to get sorted thanks to this site. I am finding more and more pupils are using their usb memory sticks to run games and i wanted to know now that i have the system running can I stop .exe from running on memory sticks as well as on their my documents. Also I have run into a pupil who is able to access cmd prompt all be it he hasn’t been able to do anything serious but I want to stop cmd prompt access completely so no .bat files or anything can be run for pupils. I have this enabled in GPO that they cannot access cmd but he still finds ways round. Is it possible to disable .exe from running on memory sticks? I have this morning changed security settings while reading this post and I will see how this affects computers on Monday morning. I have changed all settings on computers and pupils security to default security but I was thinking of changing this to disallowed and stopping access to everything and really release access when I am asked. Please any help with this would be much appreciated -
internet was off for a while here. Servers were working although wouldnt allow any clients to login for over 1hr first thing this morning. other than that all is fine in the world
-
Hi Guys thank you for the reply We have run into the problem in our school that the internet service is provided by another company to all schools in N.Ireland and i cant get access to our legacy side because its is said its a security risk. I am looking into us getting are own internet and use this only for hosting the booking system this would solve alot of problems.
-
HI thank you for your post yes i have added it in but still does the same thing. It turns out our legacy network is blocked on the router from the cat B side this doesnt allow any other computer to see the booking system from the internet or network other than the host machine. So i have been told
-
it does look like things are blocked at the router which is stopping me from seeing the bookingsystem from another computer. I have asked to unblock this so that it can work but this can take up to 3 weeks thank you very much for all your help EDU-IT as soon as things are working ill post back up again.
-
it is very strange that from the computer i have wampserver installed when searching on the internet with http://localhost/classroombookings/ it works fine when i try http://(servername)/classroombookings/ this also seems to work fine but when i try http://(serverip)/classroombooking/ i get the following error Explanation: The request timed out before the page could be retrieved. Try the following: Refresh page: Search for the page again by clicking the Refresh button. The timeout may have occurred due to Internet congestion. Check spelling: Check that you typed the Web page address correctly. The address may have been mistyped. Contact website: You may want to contact the website administrator to make sure the Web page still exists. You can do this by using the e-mail address or phone number listed on the website home page. If you are still not able to view the requested page, try contacting your administrator or Helpdesk. Page can not be displayed Technical Information (for support personnel) Error Code 10060: Connection timeout Background: The gateway could not receive a timely response from the website you are trying to access. This might indicate that the network is congested, or that the website is experiencing technical difficulties. Date: 25/11/2009 15:35:25 [GMT] Server: PROXY4-01.SCHOOL.C2KNI.net Source: Firewall
-
thank you for that i was trying that and everything seemed to go through ok but unfortunatley its the same error i cant seem to get access to the site from any other computer
-
i was talking to a guy from c2k when i ust checked to make sure that port 80 wasnt blocked and he said something about binding the internal ip address to that of the wampserver he said something like the wamp server would use 127.0.0.1 is that right is it possible to bind the server IP to this?
-
i have tried searching from a machine by using http://(InternalIP of server)/classroombookings/ but again same error message
