Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

mjs_mjs

Members
  • Posts

    1,112
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by mjs_mjs

  1. Right I'm starting this today - already have a test server on build. For 8 machines it would cost me over £1000 in CC4 licensing so I think we'll be heading vanilla.
  2. I thought that it wouldn't work with regular pentagons alone ither. I guess this is just too openended a question to solve.
  3. Sorry to hear your missing out on alot. In all seriousness you should try it. It's good for things like scanning, webservers, getting work off of dead machines. I think it's time u had a look. It's really simple too. It's an easy way to try linux, althought there are many other distro and we all have our favorites, to do a port scan would take me about 1/2 hour without doing any perminant installs. I'll explain how simple this is; 1. Get ISO and burn to CD, 2. Stick CD in drive and launch into the 'live' or 'try ubuntu without any change to your computer' 3. Once loaded, go to system (top left), administration, network tools, then click on the port scan tab, and enter IP - then click scan. 4. Once complete shut down the ubuntu OS from the top right corner and wait on screen instructions to remove disk. Should you be ashaimed - No, i had no experiance of ubuntu untill i needed to use something other than windows to get into a windows machine to get files off, all of us here have never used it at one point, some people still havent and never will, there was a point where you had never used windows... if nothing else comes back simpler give it a go, only a CD and some time too lose. You'll want a machine with a p3 or better and at least 512 RAM.
  4. I think that would work. I make all my packaes as CC3 them import the CC3 .ini file, as it works better and i know how to customise it a little better. So i do need the ini file untill it's into the CC4 XML file and uploaded. Thats just the way i work. I'll also add that once the package hits the management console on CC4, i dont know how to add the MST file. Couldn't find out ither.
  5. Damn, i modded my cupboards years back to cope, if only i had known.
  6. Ubuntu has a nice port scan in it's networking tools. You can run it live from a CD or in a virtual box, or an actual box. I've used this many times to see whats open and what it used for, tho i think it lookes up the use from a table somewhere rather than actual use.
  7. If on CC3 the MST file is specified in the ini package associated with the package but no it isn't show as a separate package in RMMC, it isn't picked up unless you specify the MST within the ini file I believe. If on cc4 it shows up within the properties of the package.
  8. Not yet - Still looking at issues around it. I may just drop the management then, go vanilla.
  9. Nope - just tested my notebook and the key didn't get put in..... GRRRR oh well staying with 10 for now then.
  10. To be fair i don't think it could be made easier. The package (MSI) is shareable, but the MST's should be created at each site, as each one will be different. I haven't changed the package - that's what the MST is for.
  11. In AD there is logon times which you could use and set the GPO to not log them off when they finish. If i remember correctly then you could set a half hour periods where they can logon.
  12. I'm looking for somthing different to CC4 anywhere. ie i dont want it. I've seen it and didn't like it.
  13. Like it, i used XP and just deleted them all done a quick format then back to CC4.
  14. To be honest it's really simple to do. Urm, Make a folder, Put the MSI in there, Create an MST using the admin tool (i cannot share ours - it's really simple to do using the admin tool), Put the corrisponting ini file in the folder. Do the same thing for the drivers/notebook. Other than this the MSI are the ones direct from SMART so no need for me to re-share, and the admin tool is simple to use to make the MST's for your site. Attached are the .ini config files, you will need to change the file names in them. SMART 10.6.zip
  15. You could just set them up as network machines with VPN or access to a seperate partition for their work. Then they are an extension to your network and would come under the same rules... which brings us back to if you wouldn't do it in school... it isn't ok use.
  16. Thats where an AUP should deem what is and isn't reasonable. Do you have an AUP?
  17. I've herd of something like this before but i dont know anything about it.
  18. Less than 2 years old. I hope not.
  19. We dont have a local station anymore - went bust. And our LEA were telling people to use open check from LGFL which crashed along with all the school websites hosted by them. We use parent mail. For staff and students - very usefull (except that crashed also.)
  20. Well i deleted the 1mb partition and the other went too... i though it was weird that E showed up twice. Very strange.
  21. RAIN, I think we all know that what they mean is, "our system is crap so we're doing an upgrade".
  22. I rebuilt my machine yesterday and found that one of my partitions was split in a weird way - see attached photo.
  23. Hi, i'm looking into running a TS with clients accessing via rdp from thinstation, my starting question is, how do i make a server into a CC4 managed server? i basically want to manage the server from RMMC like a workstation. second question: can i change the theme of the server so it looks like XP?
  24. Philip 1983, I need some help, i have made the CD from the iso and have a floppy with the config file in the correct path per instructions, but it loads up into a linux os, not directly into a terminal session. I'm using terminal server on 2003 server, wanting to connect over rdp, it's ip is 10.218.164.7. attached is the config file as it is on the floppy disk. what am i doing wrong? Edit: found out i've used the desktop not the basic - will try again. thinstation.zip
  25. Just made my CC4 packages and imported them, now to do some testing.
×
×
  • Create New...