Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

sidewinder

Members
  • Posts

    3,170
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by sidewinder

  1. To be honest a gambling site would have their own controls to stop something like this - even with your own account you can't just go and deposit thousands straight away, you need to go through the whole 3D secure process to deposit money and I'm pretty sure a sudden £1000 deposit from a dormant account would flag up something on the betting sites fraud alerts
  2. In fairness he did say SCSI not SAS so my first thought was a drive with a SCA connector
  3. I used to go to that school....which probably says a lot
  4. If it had to download a licence it's because the WMA file has DRM and I think only Windows Media Player can play that Are they purchased files or something ripped from a CD? If ripped then you could find a tool to remove the DRM
  5. Thanks for the replies. Will try with 2012 and SQL 2012 then.
  6. I would like to get SCCM up and running in the school, mainly because our Sophos subscription runs out next month and it would be good to take advantage of Forefront and also everything else that SCCM offers However as it looks like SUCH a pain in the arse to setup, if I have to do it I'd rather only have to do it once for quite a while. So: Server 2008 R2 or 2012? SQL 2008 R2 or 2012? And I've read that SCCM is fussy about specific versions of SQL too? And go with SCCM 2012 SP1 or just wait for 2012 R2? I've been looking over the Windows Noob guides but its hard to know since the original guide is quite old now, and there is an SP1 upgrade guide but not a new installation guide that I can find Or for a school with 150 computers is it just not worth the effort?
  7. I could see the case for this if it was JUST failing hardware, because it gets rid of the immediate problem, but if other things were broken anyway why have they left it like that?
  8. I went and picked a huge sack of blackberries a few weeks back, there were SO many about I could have filled a skip with them (I might be slightly exaggerating)
  9. I reckon they might have defrosted by now
  10. Grow it! Would be a waste to get rid of such a fantastic beard!
  11. Well creating a new Outlook profile on the offending machines seems to sort it. But I would like to know what caused it!
  12. lol @ the price of the 5C - what is the point of it at that price? There is barely any difference between it and the 5S...this thing was supposed to come with a £3-400 price tag. Will be buying a secondhand 5 for sub £300 as soon as everyone rushes to sell theirs to get a 5S
  13. You're right, it is. It's weird, I use GPP for some things but for others I seem to stick with the older more difficult way!
  14. Is there an easy way to disable Smart Ink without going round every PC? My plan was to have a reg file with a - for remove and then run that silently as a startup script to remove it from HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run to start it running on startup but it seems there is no way to delete a single value from within a key, only the key itself I found this How Can I Delete a Single Registry Value? - Hey, Scripting Guy! Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs but cannot get it working. Am I going about this all wrong?
  15. This is my own server and nothing to do with my school. It's an N36L HP Microserver (the original model) AMD Athlon II Neo N36L (1.3 Ghz) K325 8GB DDR3 Memory (unbuffered) 2x 250GB HD DVD-ROM Drive fitted Additional Gigabit NIC fitted in addition to the onboard one. I've used it for a VMWare lab and it runs a number of VMs fairly well despite the CPU. It has a bootable internal USB port and I've installed ESXi onto a memory stick which can be included. Would also be great as a NAS. Haven't got the box for the server anymore, but should have any paperwork that came with it (there wasn't much) Due to not having the box and it being an unusual shape, and me not having a car so it being a complete pain to post, I would really rather it was collected. Anywhere in London I can sort out meeting up, or you can collect from me in NW London. If there is really no interest from London based Edugeekers I will try and find a suitable box to post but I'd rather avoid it Looking for £110
  16. Legend, thanks for discovering that. All of the affected PCs here have been upgraded to Smart 11. Explains why I couldn't get it to occur when using a student machine
  17. Since the holidays some staff have been reporting that when they load up IE, the page is blank and to get to Google (or presumably any home page) they need to scroll wayyyy down. I've tried it on an affected PC and it happens for me too. What is confusing is what could be causing it. It's a mixture of newly imaged and older machines (though have all probably got up to date IE10). I've tried disabling the proxy temporarily, still occurs. Tried running IE without Add-ons - still occurs. Anyone seen this and have any ideas?
  18. +1 I should know by now after 9 years doing this but still this year I ordered a load of 0.5m, which are fine for the first few patch panels but are just no long enough for the lower ones
  19. Wordpress started as a blogging platform but all sorts of sites use it these days. There are themes for blogs, themes for magazine sites, themes for company sites, ecommerce etc etc I'd have no qualms using Wordpress for either a company or a school site. It can produce some incredible looking sites.
  20. We have 3 sites, one main site with the Exchange (2010) server, and 2 others on the same domain but connect to Exchange across a leased line. Each site is on a different subnet. At one of the 2 remote sites over summer I replaced the DC/DNS/DHCP server. Since then, Outlook 2010 works, but crashes with alarming regularity. The error logged is: Source: Application Hang Date: 16/08/2013 14:22:16 Event ID: 1002 Task Category: (101) Level: Error Keywords: Classic The program OUTLOOK.EXE version 14.0.6117.5001 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel. Now the main site is absolutely fine and the other remote site is too. And it is occurring on all machines at this one site. So it has to be related to changing the DC. The server has a different name and IP address but DNS is all setup correctly, DHCP is handing out addresses with the right DNS details, everything else works fine. It's probably something really obvious network related that I have missed but I can't figure out what at the minute. Any ideas? The IP range hasn't changed and the Exchange server hasn't changed
  21. I don't really understand why it doesn't fold...it just looks weird. Surely with all the DS releases, the hinge and whatever components connect the screens are not exactly expensive any more?
  22. It's a good service for small, non fragile parcels but having looked into it when trying to send a camera recently, even when you purchase extended cover they still pretty much exclude any electrical items from compensation, and they don't have a great reputation with regards to damaged parcels either. MyHermes is another similar service which I use, mainly because there are no Collect+ shops anywhere near work
  23. Going quite well for me, though I have been in pretty much all summer apart from the odd day - Got 3 out of 4 Hyper-V hosts onto 2012 - Almost finished upgrading Mac suite to Mountain Lion - Got about 3 more PCs to setup - Need to move all printers to a new print server - Need to migrate user shares to new server And the rest is just small jobs - putting up a few APs, moving PC's to new network points which have been installed, tidying cabs and the boring yet time consuming job of setting up PCs again where they have been moved for redecoration
  24. Dont think I would have had any chance of seeing any in London but luckily I was visiting my parents in Berkshire yesterday so did see a fair few around 11pm-12am. They were really incredible, never seen any before. I did stay out until about 12.30 but hadnt seen any in ages so went to bed
  25. Ah I remember the eMacs we had at my old school, they were nice for their time but obscenely heavy. To be honest these days they are so bulky I wouldn't reuse them in the school but I probably wouldn't send them for recycling either - someone woould surely find use for them as a basic computer suite
×
×
  • Create New...